Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Registrant Type

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Admin, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

If you want to give an option for a sale sign etc. then use a pre-selected drop down box. Job done.

'For Sale, Contact Via Domain'
    'Not For Sale'
    'Another Predetermined Selection'
    'Yet Another Predetermined Selection'

There's no need to moderate anything then.

Personally I think all domain whois should have 'this domain might be for sale' as a must not an option, that way that's one less stroke against fair use and making people realise everything in the world is for sale, bar people against their permission and the Sun which is needed to power this galaxy.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Okay...

What does that actually mean? Visit the web site and look for contact information? I'd expect most interested parties to have done this, but perhaps not.
    I don't see the requirement. If someone puts that and another party really want the domain name, they'll probably make them an offer anyway.

[snipped more predetermined sections]

Not really required. If someone really wants a domain name, they'll approach. If not, they won't. There is no need to wave 'for sale' signs at them. Many domain names aren't for sale by default unless the potential buyer makes an offer which catches the Registrant's attention.

Aside, as I have said before, get your own tag+membership and move all your domain names to it. Then have your Registrant's Agent web page resolve to your own information/for sale/whatever site.

4. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

In this example they didn't. (says he dodging the question)

No

Dunno.

We might well make our website whois (not the main whois, just the one you access from our front page) into a more 'HTML' version which has a link the output for that TAG. Our taglist will also contain links to that system, rather than the details of all tags in static form.

5. rob

rob Founding Member

I think this would be a good idea as the current public facing WHOIS from nominet.org.uk is very technical from a user point of view.

ie. The WHOIS box on the bottom right has no guideance to use just "WHOIS: " and terms of use :)

Likewise a user is chucked from a nice info laden site (the main nominet page) to plaintext output.

Just from useability point of view it could be improved for the user accessing from Nom's site.

As for extra information in WHOIS results... not sure if 'adverts' have a place there :)

Cheers,
    Rob.

6. SF

SF Well-Known Member

What gets me about Nominet site since there new updated site and the whois limit being reduced to 1000 look ups is the constant scrolling down the page to imput the domain to check.

It was much better before when the site fitted the page!

Am I just being lazy? :mrgreen:

7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I used it for the first time in ages, this past weekend. I remember wishing they'd put it at the top of the page instead of at the bottom. I often wonder how many people try to WHOIS via their site search box, each day. ;) Maybe Nominet might like to let us know. :D

8. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Agreed! - Jay is this possible especially now there will be more of us using the whois on your site.

Thanks
    Sean

9. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

An even lazier way is to edit the URL directly, so edit

http://195.66.240.211/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=internet.co.uk&x=0&y=0

The laziest way of all is to use a command line whois, as always found on a proper OS. So

whois internet.co.uk

or if you have to

whois -h whois.nic.uk internet.co.uk

10. rob

rob Founding Member

Always wondered about internet.co.uk , did it have a previous owner and Nominet 'aquired' it?

11. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

No previous owner. It was one of the original 'neutral' third levels, where we allowed fourth level registrations. Not any more. We now use it as our demonstration domain (in documentation etc).

12. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

For those who dont have a proper OS just save these two files to your windows directory ie c:/Windows open up a CMD prompt.. START >> RUN >> and type in cmd.

Then use it the same way ie

whois internet.co.uk

or if you have to

whois -h whois.nic.uk internet.co.uk

Only good for .co.uk lookups unless you alter whois.conf.

View attachment WINDOWS.zip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.