Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Selling A Site Back To Original Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I caught a domain today that I think the previous owner will probably want back.

It's their brandname, but it's also a second name so I don't think there would be any legal issue (as long as I don't stick a site in their niche up right?).

How do you go about selling a domain back to someone who negligently let it drop? put it on sedo or give them a call/email?.. or is that dodgy to contact them.

I've had this happen recently, but it was a bit different. I caught a domain and planned to keep it/use it because it had good backlinks, so I put a site up, but that meant it ranked for the domain name (their brand name) which made the old owners notice it, obviously promoting them to contact me wanting to get it back.

^ Maybe I should do that for this domain also, but I don't think the domain itself + the minor links it has will be enough to get it on page #1, might be though.

How do you guys go about it?

The domain is on my tag if they look up the whois, so they would see my website listed under the registrar (which contains a simple contact form) so if they do for some reason notice the domain is no longer under their control and look up the whois they could contact me.

Thanks

Last edited:
They have 2 other domains they operate from which are txxxxxxhotellondon.co.uk and txxxxxxhotel.co.uk, both have sites on them.

To me it looks like they don't want it and is why they let it drop, seems that they want to have the word hotel and London in the newer names they've registered, which would suggest they aren't interested in this name which represents the first part of their hotel name

There are no trademarks for the name, and as long as you don't put a hotel site on it you shouldn't have any problems.

I had it booked with all the private catchers and had it loaded myself, to me it was just a useful name which could be branded as whatever anyone wanted, would suit legal, property, transport businesses who have similar names.

Last edited:
They have 2 other domains they operate from which are txxxxxxhotellondon.co.uk and txxxxxxhotel.co.uk, both have sites on them.

To me it looks like they don't want it and is why they let it drop, seems that they want to have the word hotel and London in the newer names they've registered, which would suggest they aren't interested in this name which represents the first part of their hotel name

There are no trademarks for the name, and as long as you don't put a hotel site on it you shouldn't have any problems.

I had it booked with all the private catchers and had it loaded myself, to me it was just a useful name which could be branded as whatever anyone wanted, would suit legal, property, transport businesses who have similar names.

Thanks, good points.

I don't know, I think they might want it back.

For instance the domain I mentioned selling back to the original owner was a .org.uk, they paid x,xxx for it, you wouldn't have thought they would be that bothered about someone else having the org.uk but apparently there were.

Would you personally of contacted them offering it and see what they said? or no.

I suppose there's a chance they dropped it accidentally, their other 2 hotel domains are registered to different people, so a small possibility that someone made a mistake somewhere.

As for approaching them, I wouldn't bother, that can be used in a DRS as an example of an abusive registration, I would have put it on Sedo, and if they wanted it they know where to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom