Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

September .uk drop discussion

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by Murray, Sep 3, 2020.

1. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Yep, what I mean is that the owner will be assigned, but I would guess that Fasthosts threw in a condition that the owner of the .co.uk had to request the .uk in order for it to appear in their control panel, else Fasthosts have custody in accordance with terms I think you quoted a few pages back. I speculate entirely that unless someone knows first hand and can confirm, that the .uk's never appeared in the registrants control panel, and they would have to tick a box to accept. I'm hoping this has only been possible on ROR domains and Fasthosts won't allow this on every suspended domain they manage.

Just to add again, domains remain in the name of the registrant (GDPR issue right there) until otherwise transferred away or changed via tag. Those reported as moving today may now have new registrant details on them.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

What about in their Nominet account?

4. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Only if the domain had the registrants contact information; not just name. For all we know, Fasthosts had a term that meant they remained the contact until accepted by the registrant. Just guessing, but hope that makes sense?

Note - most of these registrants won't know who Nominet is, let alone they have an account.

5. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

The .uk would have had to have been regged in the same ownership and email details as the .co.uk owner. So for a brief period of time, it would have also been in their Nominet account too.

6. DomainMagic

DomainMagic Active Member

Didn't realise we could change our votes after they were made?

how?

I get:

AGM voting and Election of Non-Executive Director 2020
    We have already received a vote for this login.

If you think you have reached this page in error, please contact us

• Like Like x 1
  7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

That's a good point, email addresses were a validation method unless they had some shady agreement with Nominet! Still think Fasthosts would have added in some condition that the registrant didn't own the domain until accepted into their control panel for renewals, which gives them flexibility to move domains rather than expire, but again, unless we know someone that has an unclaimed .uk, which is unlikely, we don't know for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

But the domain had to be registered to the details of the co.uk registrant

The co.uk had plenty of time to claim their .uk domain is they so wished

The domain would have been in their name and in their Nominet account

Why would not adding a domain to a customer account give a registrar any right to it? they would have to give explicit consent to it being transferred

6. You may, no earlier than 30 days after the expiry of a domain name on an Accredited Channel Partner Tag, take steps to transfer the domain name into your name

They can't have registered the domains to the customers then transferred them to themselves, well I guess they could but it wouldn't be in line with Nominets t&c

9. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

Fasthosts T&Cs

"For UK domain names the transfer of ownership can be actioned via the Our control panel by the person named as account contact at the time the controlling account was secured who shall be deemed the designate of the Registrant with the authority to manage the domain name. The registrant shall be required to agree, in writing to be bound by these terms and conditions."

10. super-whois

super-whois Active Member

You can ask to reset your vote.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. philliph United Kingdom

philliph Active Member

When trust in Nominet is at a low, I don't understand why they haven't made an announcement about this mess. I'm assuming they are hoping people will forget about it/move on.

12. webber

webber Active Member

13. DJ

DJ Well-Known Member

I am not doubting for one minute that what you have done isn't all above board. However, the vagueness of your responses is bound to lead to suspicion - especially as you are usually very vocal. So I imagine that is why people are starting to raise questions and point the finger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

If I had participated in this (I haven't)

I would hold my hands up and say I was very naive, I trusted what the support team were saying

I would concede that being a registrar myself I should know the t&c, or at very least I should have thought to double check them before proceeding

Being naive however isn't a defence, any repercussions including damage to my reputation or standing as a Nominet registrar would be deserved.

---------

I wouldn't personally hold it against anyone for being naive but passing the buck is very unsavoury; how can you learn from your mistakes if you can't even admit to them

• Like Like x 1
  15. webber

webber Active Member

Add shoes.uk to the list of suspicious last minute renewals
    Registrant details were changed today:

16. ian

ian Well-Known Member

shoes.uk just renewed. I just hope a genuine renewal for this one as it wasn't an ROR domain.

17. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

There are a number of org.uk's selling on DL, I'd send shoes.org.uk to auction if someone wants to make an advance bid on there.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  18. 3gmedia

3gmedia Active Member

I did think that was going to happen, I spotted it yesterday and thought here we go!:eek:

19. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Hope Nominet didn't tell you the name of the owner, that would be an entirely seperate complaint lol

20. webber

webber Active Member

At least one domain renewed this way had fake registrant contact details: company name matching the .co.uk, but fake individual name and address with the telephone number for Leaders Estate Agents ;)
    These need to be properly investigated and monitored by Nominet.

I would expect the registrant of shoes.co.uk and shoes.uk to be Shoes.co.uk Ltd as stated at http://www.shoes.co.uk/privacy-policy-i51 (ICO data controller registration number Z9535115)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  21. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

yep. I got a catcher email saying no longer available.