Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Similar selling sites on the same server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey,

Been thinking about this for a while so thought i would see what general consensus and experience was.

We have a dedicated server than has 5 ecommerce sites on, 3 have cross over products, probably about 40%, they each have unique descriptions and the sites are on separate IP addresses but do you think this can potentially harm a site?

Thank you

Jon

i'd certainly like to understand a little more on this, having 2 sites for now and a 3rd on the way selling the same sort of products, despite changing product descriptions and articles what else is to do?

Glad i am not the only one, hopefully get some good feedback on this.

I think the main issue as usual is duplicate content, but how many different ways can you really describe a product so it ranks highly against other competitors.

Only so many ways to describe a red widget!

Yeh i guess so, but would say Google look at sports equipment and if one sold athletics stuff and another running shoes would that potentially cause any problems being in the same/similar field.

One of our main product is bins, so would a litter bin website and wheelie bin website cause problems by generic association on the same server. I am the owner of both so Google would know even if not on the same server

The issue seems to be if your interlinking, the sites, long as thats almost none existing you should be fine with unique urls, content (descriptions etc), picture names, alt text, etc.

If you want a link to your website, all 4-5-6 sites linking a 7th site, as the "brand" is usually ok.

If you start linking website 1 to products on website 2, and 5, website 2 to 5 and 3, website 3 to 4 and 1 etc then your going in the hurt locker.

However if you look at some cloud hosting they have 1,000s of websites on them, there simply has to be crossover. Shared hosting can have 100s of websites too.

Hey,

Been thinking about this for a while so thought i would see what general consensus and experience was.

We have a dedicated server than has 5 ecommerce sites on, 3 have cross over products, probably about 40%, they each have unique descriptions and the sites are on separate IP addresses but do you think this can potentially harm a site?

Thank you

Jon

If you aren't doing anything grey or blackhat SEO wise, you're fine.

Do these accounts have the same Google account for Analytics and Webmaster Tools? That's Google's first port of call.

Hi Matt,

Yes they are all under the same email, should this not be the case?

Hi Matt,

Yes they are all under the same email, should this not be the case?

Well Google's first indicator of if the sites have the same owner are to determine if they have the same user/account for WMT/GA - its ready made information for them....

Ok, do you know how easy or difficult it is to split them up?

Thank you

Jon

Ok, do you know how easy or difficult it is to split them up?

Thank you

Jon

If you've got them all on the same google accounts and same hosting then it's a bit late to make it look like they're not linked isn't it :p

http://netcomber.com/ is an interesting tool

Made by an ex google employee, you add a domain and it shows all the site connected to it via having the same google analytics, similar link profiles, hosted on the same IP, stuff like that.

Yes, that brought up like 100 sites, about 20 of which are mine. But to be fair even without google analytics i am the owner of the domains and they have the same company on privacy policy etc, it really wouldnt be hard to work out. I just want to make sure i am not battling against a current by having similar sites around the same niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom