Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

So any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Obviously if you're using the DAC you have zero chance at good domains nowadays as it's slow to update and a domain has gone before you see a N (if you even see it) - been like that for a while. You need to be using the EPP direct or some other service. Anyone got any ideas what to poll? Also could someone with more than one legitimate tag confirm if you get another quota of EPP creates, checks, whois2 for each one? I assume you do as we see different tags from the same people all over. Bear in mind you can still do these things without breaching nominet's AUP or taking advantage of any flaws. Obviously I'm not asking people doing well what their secret is, they've found a way and that's the nature of the game, it's aimed at other people and any tests they've done or ideas they have. The game's changed for good now - DAC is dead. I don't think nominet mind what you do if you don't break any rules and nor should they. I should point out that I don't think anyone is cheating or nominet would have stamped it out. I don't want this to turn into a thread throwing accusations or abuse at each other, there's no need - just a place to pool ideas for everyone except the 2 or 3 that catch everything :p Also on a similar note does anyone have any info about when they plan to make the changes?

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ
I should add that it's not direct to the EPP or anything that produces an EPP response, that includes whois2. I have monitored the EPP svIDs for a while now and there is no massive increase showing lots of requests - just a general 'background hum' of 100 or so epp requests per second which is probably normal over so many tags. It's more likely a case of finding out how to use some other DNS method to determine a domain dropping. One outside of nominet's systems and that can be polled as many times as you can. It could be a timing 'trigger' that causes a blanket EPP create command when a service slows done for an update - don't know if it's domain specific. 1000 creates per day doesn't go far but if you only get 1 trigger per minute you'd only need 2 tags on a single domain (assuming they have separate creates on each) to cover it. Might even be a case of having enough time to throw in an epp check (5000 limit) beforehand for confirmation. The DAC is very slow to update so you're always going to get some kind of head start over people using the normal DAC/EPP route.

Last edited:
Well I'm getting a lot of emails but seems people are reluctant to float their theories publicly. Whatever it is it seems very clever, and therefore probably very simple so overlooked :)
On the nominet note though someone did tell me that they'd spoken to someone at nominet who said there'd most likely be a £1000 fee and people who paid more would get access to the drops 5 to 10 mins before anyone else. Apart from that the system would remain unchanged. I don't think many people will want to pay in the current climate. However there's no official word from nominet - I saw Andrew had posted on his twitter feed and nominet said they'd announce more in the new year.

I'm officially giving up today. I've not been loading any domains, scanning the lists was becoming a waste of time when I had zero chance of picking anything up. I have a handful of crap domains left in my portfolio that I'll probably leave with landing pages until they expire, but other than that you probably won't see me around. Nice doing business with a lot of you, stay safe and good luck with the new system whenever that happens :)

Rob, your very quick to say all this now but what about ROR #2 when you were taking 90% of the best domains? You were not on acorn pleading poverty with everyone then, in fact you were sending me an email saying how everyone on here Didn't deserve to know anything because of how they had treated us!

Also what about when all those brand new tags joined hosted chashing when they were less than a week old with no domains on the tags, then every catch those brand new tags got went straight into auction, yes some maybe genuine and others maybe not.. They basically dediced to become a domain catcher and join ukbackorder the same day they day they decided they wanted an account, then they decided they wanted to auction every catch they got through ukbackorder. Everyone on here was slating ukbackorder for fake tags and shill bidding, when all your tags/customers are doing well you are nowhere to be seen then when they are not you want to work with everyone to push it back in your favor again.

Last edited:
Yes because *I'm* the problem here :p
Anyway just trying to figure out what you're doing. We'll get there in the end. It's a very interesting puzzle. Note I made it quite clear I don't think you're doing anything wrong - that's why it's a clever trick. All I can think of is you've either found an EPP command that we don't know about or you're using some kind of timing trigger (non domain specific) to launch a batch of EPP checks/creates. I'm sure lots of people are looking into it I'm surprised nobody else (including me) has cottoned on yet.

Stop editing posts then adding things after ive replied!!

Last edited:
I'm not digging at you lol Just trying to figure out what you're doing and asking others now. Waste of time anyway seems most people aren't bothered. Of course you could always give us a hint ;) When nominet change the system, if your method doesn't work after that, let us know what it was. I would at least like to know if it was very complex or just something simple we overlooked.

Last edited:
There is no method its just about fine tuning and having the right location :(

Obviously if you're using the DAC you have zero chance at good domains nowadays as it's slow to update and a domain has gone before you see a N (if you even see it) - been like that for a while. You need to be using the EPP direct or some other service. Anyone got any ideas what to poll? Also could someone with more than one legitimate tag confirm if you get another quota of EPP creates, checks, whois2 for each one? I assume you do as we see different tags from the same people all over. Bear in mind you can still do these things without breaching nominet's AUP or taking advantage of any flaws. Obviously I'm not asking people doing well what their secret is, they've found a way and that's the nature of the game, it's aimed at other people and any tests they've done or ideas they have. The game's changed for good now - DAC is dead. I don't think nominet mind what you do if you don't break any rules and nor should they. I should point out that I don't think anyone is cheating or nominet would have stamped it out. I don't want this to turn into a thread throwing accusations or abuse at each other, there's no need - just a place to pool ideas for everyone except the 2 or 3 that catch everything :p Also on a similar note does anyone have any info about when they plan to make the changes?
Every 'flaw' that has been made public before was only after it was well abused and likely Nominet was in the process of shutting it down anyway. So I don't think anyone that has a clue will spill the beans.

While generally I think it's fair game when someone finds an edge and using it brings them a higher success rate, I don't find it particularly fair when every single valuable domain is caught by the same people every day. It's as if the system is made to serve that single person.
I believe Nominet should look at the situation from a fairness point of view as well as technical.
Like you say, I don't suspect anyone is abusing any system or breaking any policy (I hope Nominet would have seen that and dealt with it), but I do think Nominate should also look at the overall fairness of the system and close any loopholes that allow such a monopoly; not just now, whenever something like this happens.
If Nominet would release the drop times there will be no need for DAC and presumably a more level playing field.
I'm not actively catching right now, but from a distance it is quite obvious that having a second tag helps in some way.

I think it's healthy to have such discussions – while we are all in competition with each other, it doesn't mean we can't have a united community. I hate the squabble and attitude of some people sometimes.
We all stand to lose if we fight each other

I think the idea is for them to get rid of the DAC. It won't make a difference though if it's not being used anyway. I was told that no firm decision had been made so I wouldn't rule out yet another 'conference' where nominet pretend to give us a say. They'll go the route of the most money as they have always done. I just don't see why anyone would want to pay at the moment. Judging by the failure of .uk to garner any decent prices they've pretty much run the reseller market into the ground. Anyway qqq.co.uk is today's prize but not many decent drops on the horizon.

I think the idea is for them to get rid of the DAC. It won't make a difference though if it's not being used anyway.
Maybe it's just brute force – multiple DAC quotas aggregated – as this anonymous tip-off seems to suggest:
https://pastebin.com/dW64e7vH
* I can't verify the claims since I don;t have a facebook account;

I don't think it would matter if you had 20 tags. It's almost as if a purchase request has already been placed long before the drop or some way of checking the domain without having a quota and therefore no speed restrictions.
On a sidenote it seems someone is trying to 'spoof' emails from me. If you receive an email from ukbackorder(at)protonmail.com that is nothing to do with me. Just read the laughable claims in that so I'm guessing that whoever is making things up thinks that I am the originator of the other post. Ah well thankfully it's not me catching everything dropping :)

hey-look-a-distraction

Last edited:
I don't think it would matter if you had 20 tags. It's almost as if a purchase request has already been placed long before the drop or some way of checking the domain without having a quota and therefore no speed restrictions.

I'm as clueless as ever, but hopefully you or someone will suss out what's happening sooner rather than later!

On a sidenote it seems someone is trying to 'spoof' emails from me. If you receive an email from ukbackorder(at)protonmail.com that is nothing to do with me. Just read the laughable claims in that so I'm guessing that whoever is making things up thinks that I am the originator of the other post. Ah well thankfully it's not me catching everything dropping :)
Ah, yes... just noticed this was sent to me late last night on an old email address of mine and blatantly exposing a long list of recipients in the process (kind of amateur).
A similar pastebin link was included: https://pastebin.com/BVZa5Qkf
As with the other one, I cannot verify the claims nor do I have anything to do with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom