Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The world by number of web domains

Reaction score
Interesting map from Nominet. The UK is a domain superpower (and so is Tokelau)....

Map-Of-The-Online-World-Scaled-1280x691-1280x691.jpg

http://www.nominet.uk/mapping-the-online-world/

In my view pricing played a major part in that and we'll now see a large decline

'The continent of Africa is home to more than one billion people, yet on our map it’s much, much smaller than it should be.' Oh dear :( Other conclusions drawn.... the more rain there is the more likelihood of getting wet in it..... every second you move forward in time at the rate of one second...... socks first *then* shoes.

Viewing on a desk top, using chrome, I can't even see what any of the writing says. That applies for the image above in this thread, and the one on the Nom site.

For a company such as Nom, I keep finding these simple fundamentals that they really should be doing better, especially as the article is by the CEO.

I especially like the fact that if you click on it (stupid me for thinking I could get a readable version).... it links back to the same page. However it's full of insight... or something.

I especially like the fact that if you click on it (stupid me for thinking I could get a readable version).... it links back to the same page. However it's full of insight... or something.

I did the same! Thought I was doing something wrong when the page kept refreshing......

David - Let someone at Nom know they clicked the wrong button in the WP admin panel for this media item. Thanks :)

Viewing on a desk top, using chrome, I can't even see what any of the writing says. That applies for the image above in this thread, and the one on the Nom site.

For a company such as Nom, I keep finding these simple fundamentals that they really should be doing better, especially as the article is by the CEO.

Not exactly a smart bunch are they! Produce a map of which the key points can't be read, wonderful!

I can't read it either. Bit poor really.

Trying capturing it in preview on my mac and zooming in but that doesn't help.

Is there any interesting info within it?

French haven't really taken .fr to heart have they?

Wonder if that has something to do with the specific criteria (zone files) for servers hosting a .fr?

I own dunkirk . fr and gave up trying to work out how to get a parked Sedo page on it.

And perhaps not as many investors have an interest in .fr?

Last edited:
I thought you couldn't register .fr without a french presence? I think a lot of the countries could possibly have more registrations without the 'presence' rule. However I suppose it stops foreign speculators and everyone knows we are all cybersquatting evil people.

I think in many countries .com is used more than their own cctld hence some of the paltry landmasses in the map. Would be interesting to see the main gtlds juxtaposed to the sides of this map, or even a new map showing global distribution of .com registrations by country of registrant although whois privacy would muddy the waters a bit.

I thought you couldn't register .fr without a french presence? I think a lot of the countries could possibly have more registrations without the 'presence' rule. However I suppose it stops foreign speculators and everyone knows we are all cybersquatting evil people.

They opened up the .fr market to all a few years ago.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom