Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Tide.co.uk £35,400

Discussion in 'Sold Domains' started by diablo, Oct 18, 2019.

1. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Tide.co.uk £35,400 = $45,666 Sedo

Online banking

As reported on DNJournal

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. JMI

JMI Active Member

Good sale. You can see why - short, clean, can't be mashed up, easy to remember.

This is where the future is imho, all very well people here getting excited about names on auction at the moment and seeing names being bought in earnest here for ££££+, but I look and think the keywords people are buying are very mid 2000's and that shit is dead - almost tempted to put these sales down to ego/trophy purchases.

It's about brands now, and no sales I have seen recently have come close to this, and certainly their not suitable to become household brands. The last was ocean.co.uk on DL 25k a few years back.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. armistice

armistice Active Member

I guess this was bought by tide.co then,
    I tried a free business account with them back in jan 2018.

5. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

+1

6. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Probably just me but I really like the .co extension!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Have never liked .co myself.

Because of .com being so familiar, it looks like a letter is missing.

Popular with typo buyers though, again because of widespread use of dotcoms.

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Very nice sale

Me too, maybe that's because of the sort of companies I associate with them

Just seems short and fresh

• Like Like x 1
  9. armistice

armistice Active Member

Have to agree, .co is a great extension ..... If your company is based or trading in Columbia

Not so great for a UK financial company providing UK (pseudo) business banking

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. TRUK Turkey

TRUK Retired Member

That is nothing to be related .co is great but .com is already taken by another international company. Their customers would always be confused when they land in detergent web site.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. JMI

JMI Active Member

You haven't understood what I'm saying - EMD died in 2005, you may get a tiny something now but those days of ranking wardrobes.org.uk above Ikea are over. Of course they bought it because they've got tide.co and that won't be cutting it in any sort of future UK market + its brand protection. But obviously {tide}.co.uk is a good brand word and was owned before tide.co was even established, which is kudos to the previous owner for having the vision to recognise the potential.

There's only so many short, clean descriptive words that are going to be acceptable for a national or international brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Creature United Kingdom

Creature Active Member

Full retail? Nice domain, well done. It's not 'descriptive' in this case because it's being used as an arbitrary mark

13. Jiblob

Jiblob Active Member

I would think that's the point. If they land on the detergent website, they know they haven't reached the company they were expecting if they were expecting to access their bank account.

Trademarks have specific classes for a reason, that is to allow companies to establish themselves for different products and services even with the same name so long as they are not descriptive of the products and services that they provide.

On a separate note, they also acquired the .UK with the sale as well as the .CO.UK

14. TRUK Turkey

TRUK Retired Member

Well I did not read your full post to save time but let me put it short: I do not want to open an account at a bank whose .com domain lands on a detergent site. So in the end of the day If you have not gotten .com it is better to change your bank's name with a com at the hand or go buy it if you can.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Jiblob

Jiblob Active Member

I won't bother reading yours then. Not enough time ;)

16. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Tide is UK based and serves UK businesses so the .co.uk makes perfect sense.

17. TRUK Turkey

TRUK Retired Member

In holistic approach actually reading or writing in this old forum is wast of time. I am not here to debate with an unknown guy about whether a company needs its com domain instead of .co or .co.uk because it is pathetic.

If you are a bank with a .co domain or .co.uk domain while your .com lands in a different company, you are a loser. POINT! Now go debate whether .co or .co.uk is better than .com with your amateurish forum friends!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. fuzzer United Kingdom

fuzzer Active Member

Metro bank are terrible in that respect

19. Jiblob

Jiblob Active Member

You're the one providing longer answers to pointless posts than the ones that actually have a point to make. Not that I read your post. I'm trying to debate with an amateur already apparently - one person at a time eh!?

20. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

lol....and yet here you are in this old forum debating whether a company needs a com

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. WalkinDude United States

WalkinDude Well-Known Member

Not sure this sale informs as much as being stated. Quite a specific set of circumstances there. An established setup acquires it's matching UK domain name. One buyer, seller is able to gauge strength of their need based on openly available info. Just going on what I'm reading here, don't know any further details.

For me Holiday is the far more informative sale from a pure domaining perspective. Obvious domaining investment, with sole question being how cheap it was acquired beforehand. Sold hopefully at a huge profit to the highest bidder amongst a bunch of very predictably interested parties. It's a generic word, it's intended use is almost certainly generic, it has a brandable feel about it. The seller holds the reigns, whereas with Tide it's more like the stars aligned for the seller and that's not domaining, well not in any predictable sense.

If for any reason the 'tide' project fails, the value of the domain is unlikely to hold up. Clearer example of that is Voice I think it was at 30million, if the project fails you're not getting another buyer at 30million sods for that domain name.

If for almost any reason the forthcoming 'Holiday' project were to fail, the value of the domain would remain unaffected, would probably increase.

• Agree Agree x 2