Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Web host 123-reg deletes sites in clean-up error

Personally, I practice a mix of several of the above as I've got tens of thousands of documents going back to the mid-1990s, plus over 100,000 photos and videos, and it's almost unimaginable losing the lot for the sake of a couple of extra drives and a few quid a month in backup service provider fees.

This is a bit far fetched................or is it ! But have you ever thought about what would happen in this digital age where things are only getting more digital. Especially in a time of SSD's over physical drives etc. What kind of vulnerability would they be up against if we hit world war 3 an there were EMP's being let off all over place or indeed Nukes which gave off an EMP.

I was thinking about it the other week when I watched a documentary where there were theory's about how we could wipe our selves back into the stone age with no physical memory's of photos, videos, tutorials or technology knowledge etc etc etc because slowly but surely we are moving away from that tangible, physical entity such as photo albums and moving to storage on microchips chips which could potentially be fried.

Is that something that could happen ? I don't even know but it seemed logical to me lol. Sorry off topic a bit there.

I think at the point we go all Mad Max, there will be bigger things to worry about than some missing documents ;)

But unless every datacentre in the world gets fried (= goodbye human race) there's going to be some stuff left somewhere, even if (many) individuals lose their data.

Also worth considering that solid state electronics are tougher than one might think - some space probes, for instance, have been subject to huge bursts of cosmic rays yet kept on ticking... Again, it's the law of large numbers: hundreds of millions of storage devices might get fried, but there are umpteen billions of them out there.

This is a bit far fetched................or is it ! .....

Is that something that could happen ? I don't even know but it seemed logical to me lol. Sorry off topic a bit there.

on a smaller scale to Edwin's valid comments, i buy CDs, i buy Blu Rays, i buy DVDs. why? if one of them scratches or snaps, i just need to replace the one. if i just downloaded everything onto a drive, that's an entire collection gone if it breaks.

i have no interest in streaming as they can just take away the stuff you want whenever licences go, etc.....

apologies if this is going further OT than Adam, but yeah, i don't believe in eggs in one basket. not for something as important as vibes, man. if it's too loud you're too old.

Did anyone happen to see what 123 offered someone as compensation? It was posted onto their Facebook page. 3 months added onto their contract, free of charge, or 3 months refunded.

Will be interesting to see how that one pans out, if anyone makes it public. Especially as 123-reg aren't the first hosts this year to go through similar events.

It's a scandal what happened. So many victims. I lost 3 websites including my 123reg backups. The company already informed me that they are unable to restore my files and they apologized. However, fortunately I made daily backups in Dropbox. Tomorrow I will tranfer my sites to Linux Hosts Ltd. It's the VPS web host with the UK's lowest account cancellation rate.

It's a scandal what happened. So many victims. I lost 3 websites including my 123reg backups. The company already informed me that they are unable to restore my files and they apologized. However, fortunately I made daily backups in Dropbox. Tomorrow I will tranfer my sites to Linux Hosts Ltd. It's the VPS web host with the UK's lowest account cancellation rate.

Funny first post and recommending hosts which ironically you were going to chose 5 months ago when you commented on this post :

linux.jpg

http://www.affiliatemarketertraining.com/best-web-hosting/

Nothing makes me stay away from a service than non-transparent self promotion.

This is a bit far fetched................or is it ! But have you ever thought about what would happen in this digital age where things are only getting more digital. Especially in a time of SSD's over physical drives etc. What kind of vulnerability would they be up against if we hit world war 3 an there were EMP's being let off all over place or indeed Nukes which gave off an EMP.

I was thinking about it the other week when I watched a documentary where there were theory's about how we could wipe our selves back into the stone age with no physical memory's of photos, videos, tutorials or technology knowledge etc etc etc because slowly but surely we are moving away from that tangible, physical entity such as photo albums and moving to storage on microchips chips which could potentially be fried.

every photo that gets taken besides going onto facebook etc also gets sent to companies like snapfish and gets printed so at least i have a physical copy too should anything happen

every photo that gets taken besides going onto facebook etc also gets sent to companies like snapfish and gets printed so at least i have a physical copy too should anything happen

Yeah ever since my little girl has been born the missus takes advantage of those offers you get with 100 free prints etc on places like snapfish. We've got about 5 albums full already but I bet they will never be looked at and the space they take up is practically a whole cupboard :D

yep thats about right, we've got 7 photo albums so far & with another baby on the way in October, may need more space

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom