20i hosting

What are your current obsessions?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by wonder_lander, Nov 30, 2017.

1. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

My server had a mishmash if disks in it and I use stable bits drive pool to combine and then handle balancing and duplications. Again for speed isn’t the priority and I can choose to place files on more than 2 disks if it’s even more critical to me.

I also have 2 x 200gb iCloud plans for all the images that are captured on our phones. These again are also synced down to my server and swept up into local and other cloud backups.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

Domain Outbound

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

All this talk of backups usefully reminded me that I hadn't imaged my system disk for ages, so I've taken a snapshot and am now bang up to date.

Worth thinking about, because most backups are all about preserving data, but it can be a pain in the proverbial to have to start reinstalling Windows+software from scratch (although sometimes it's a must to resuscitate a slowing system - thank you, Microsoft!)

4. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

That’s what I use Veeam for. Daily images of all pcs and servers to allow bare restores!

5. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I tried Backblaze but unfortunately it wanted to back up a lot of stuff I didn't care about and, although I could exclude those bazillion files and directories, I couldn't actually add files I wanted. So I then tried Carbonite - so far so good I got to choose what I backup and it also backs them up as I change them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Carbonite used to really slow down our test machine. Maybe they've got better.

7. Edwin

True. Before Mozy before CrashPlan before Backblaze, I now recall having used Carbonite briefly. Gave it up for exactly that reason. But that was years back, so as you say, things may be very different now.

8. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

All of this talk about backups has prompted either my dev server's RAID controller or one of its disks to fail :(

9. Edwin

Ouch! Hope you can get it sorted without too much hassle.