Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What to do with studentunion.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all,

A few years ago, I bought Student Union

Great domain with a site that works and ranks on page 1 of google.

I've not touched it though, and I feel a bit overwhelmed with it as when I try to think of a plan, I realise how big on an area it could be!

Can I ask what you think about the domain and what you think I should be doing with it?

Income from adsense a month is currently low £xx a month

thanks Mally

Great domain.

How about setting up subdomains for universities on it so students have their own dedicated page/forum.

You can offer it to student unions and they can run it themselves while you make money from the ads on it.

I remember when this one changed hands (I think). I was a bit interested but had so many student projects on the go.

BAM marketing really have this space locked up with unions. I think they either own a lot of the union websites or they just have licence agreements to handle all of the unions' online marketing and freshers week publications.

I think your best bet to move forward with the SU site would be to fully understand BAM.

Then innovate around their model and differentiate your proposition toward unions.

Some contracts with unions involve the site operator (BAM or other company) having a 1-5 year contract and either paying the union mid xxx for the rights or a % of revenue.

SU's generally like to have their ---su.com domains. Would be tough to get them to switch over.

An ambitious idea would be to launch your own discount card (like NUS) and avoid the unions and BAM. You would need to target students themselves and of course national retailers, cinemas, restaurants etc.

I've actually got a lot of ideas for it. Whatver you do with it, I'd keep collecting member info and use the db to get promotions out with affiliate partners.

Good luck

Nice name mate,

Me personally I'd turn that straight into a voucher site. The amount that companies spend to attract people of this age group and they always need to make their cash go further. You can contact local companies to target students.

I'd drop the jobs and things and just hit them with the vouchers but important to vet the vouchers to things that they would benefit and interest them rather than dump all sorts of vouchers on there. Sometimes you can make your site too broad and try to make it a jack of all trades and master of none, something I have been guilty of many times.

If you target it right, sky is the limit.

I've got a good mate that runs a BIG website in the student arena - over 350,000 active users as well as presence at almost all Fairs up and down the UK etc.

Why don't you hook up and find out what he can do with you as I know this was part of some plans a few years back? I will pm you Mally.

Cheers
TW

It can be great social networking site for university students. It can also have a marketplace where students can buy discounted products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom