Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

When you started out

Reaction score
Hi,

When you first started searching for domain names, what mistakes did you make? How have you moved on from those and do you believe you’ve got a good strategy or eye for a domain?

You see it on here again and again - people registering names they 'like'

Holding stock of domain names is very expensive now and, as an investor, you need to know there's a market for a name.

What is the commercial value? Who are the potential buyers? Is the buying incentive big enough? Can you turn enough volume to make your portfolio profitable? Are you just gambling?

You see it on here again and again - people registering names they 'like'

Holding stock of domain names is very expensive now and, as an investor, you need to know there's a market for a name.

What is the commercial value? Who are the potential buyers? Is the buying incentive big enough? Can you turn enough volume to make your portfolio profitable? Are you just gambling?
What’s Ian your most profitable name you sold?

I'm mostly a buyer, not a seller. For the most part I hold names to develop.

The first few domains I registered were in 2010

XFactorOfficial.com
BargainVouchers.co.uk
BuyBlurays.co.uk

For the Xfactor one I actually made a youtube channel for it hoping to send visitors to get that sweet sweet sedo landing page money

As you can tell by the above, I was very naive about all aspects really

Look at this email I sent Nominet :rolleyes:

nomemail.png

It wasn't until late 2012 I got back being interested in domains and where my proper journey with them started

Thanks, that’s interesting. I am currently buying some to develop and others to sell or keep. I am trying my best for commercial domains with potential for more than one type of business. Bought a few not so good at the start but have a few sales to keep me ticking over so far and help with the learning.

The first few domains I registered were in 2010

XFactorOfficial.com
BargainVouchers.co.uk
BuyBlurays.co.uk

For the Xfactor one I actually made a youtube channel for it hoping to send visitors to get that sweet sweet sedo landing page money

As you can tell by the above, I was very naive about all aspects really

Look at this email I sent Nominet :rolleyes:

View attachment 2476

It wasn't until late 2012 I got back being interested in domains and where my proper journey with them started

I'm mostly a buyer, not a seller. For the most part I hold names to develop.

As a buyer/invested please would you give an opinion on these. I bought for reasons to develop if I didn’t get any offers.

Injections.uk
LondonDriver.uk
ClearanceClothing.uk
InvestmentPortfolio.uk

As a buyer/invested please would you give an opinion on these. I bought for reasons to develop if I didn’t get any offers.

Injections.uk
LondonDriver.uk
ClearanceClothing.uk
InvestmentPortfolio.uk

None of these are in topic areas of interest to me to be honest. Injections is memorable/brandable enough, but I don't see much commercial potential. It's not quite the right word. I had a similar domain once - immobility.co.uk. I thought it was nice when I registered it, but the connotations were wrong. Mobility is what people want, and so I dropped the name a long while back.

My dislike for .uk is also well known on here :D

None of these are in topic areas of interest to me to be honest. Injections is memorable/brandable enough, but I don't see much commercial potential. It's not quite the right word. I had a similar domain once - immobility.co.uk. I thought it was nice when I registered it, but the connotations were wrong. Mobility is what people want, and so I dropped the name a long while back.

My dislike for .uk is also well known on here :D
Hi, thanks for your feedback. LondonDriver and DrinksMenu I also own .co.uk

As for Injections, I understand your comment about the immobility. My thoughts are more aimed at multiple uses. With good SEO can be used for Fuel injections, Botox injections, medical info was my thinking, plus brandable and one word.

What's the market in fuel injections? Where's the revenue stream?

I don't see it working for Botox - commercial use would focus on the treatment (fillers), not the delivery method (urgh, injections!).

Medical would be immunisations.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom