20i Reseller Hosting

Would like to register a domain, getting a trademark notice

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by rawkinrich, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawkinrich United Kingdom

rawkinrich Active Member

All,

"You have received this Trademark Notice because you have applied for a domain name which matches at least one trademark record submitted to the Trademark Clearinghouse."

The domain I'd like to register will be used for a completely different purpose - will I have any issues if I register and build a site?

Rich

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Nothing systemic stops you from registering the domain so long as you acknowledge the full statement and agree to what it says.

However, the trademark holder is likely to receive an "alert" in short order that somebody has just registered a domain name that matches a trademark they've filed with ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse. After that, their reaction will depend on their attitude towards defending their trademark rights. Also, they will have access to the URS, a cheaper, quicker version of the UDRP, if they choose to pursue the registrant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_Clearinghouse

In other words, nothing guarantees you will get into trouble or lose the domain name, but it greatly increases the probability that you will since it's impossible to use the "I didn't know about that trademark" defense as you had to acknowledge the existence of the trademark rights in order to proceed with the domain name registration in the first place!

• Like Like x 1
  4. rawkinrich United Kingdom

rawkinrich Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.