Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

WTF UK domain prices

Discussion in 'General Board' started by DecentNames, Dec 16, 2016.

1. DecentNames United Kingdom

DecentNames New Member

What the hell is going on with the domain name price increases for UK domains?. Approx 3 years ago i could register a domain at Godaddy for £2.99 and that was rights to the domain full stop. Now I'm looking at around £9 if I want to register a co.uk and .uk.

Seems to me like the process and consultation of implementing .uk to the UK namespace turned into a (Cartel) of Nominet, Registrars and wealthy domain owners sitting around a table rubbing there hands. I will be extremely interested to research and see if any of the staff of this (so called) not for profit organization will be receiving substantial pay increases and bonuses.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. lazarus

lazarus Super Moderator Staff Member

Where some on the board are paid 2x more then the Prime Minister. £3xx,xxx ?? It's an insane gravy train.

4. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Wealthy Domain Owners are going to get their hat nailed on in 2019 if they were indeed rubbing their hands. Most of them own 1000s of names, so their holding just doubled.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. lazarus

Even with my small portfolio, I have managed to shrink it from 220 ish to just 70 in preparation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Same as Laz, from climbing hundreds of names per year I'm shrinking 100s per year now, I suspect most others are the same hence stagnation.

7. lazarus

Yep, Probably the domaining buzz word for the next 5 years "stagnation"