20i Reseller Hosting

1&1 - .UK domains

Discussion in 'Domain Name Registrars' started by peacock, Dec 10, 2019.

1. peacock Sweden

peacock Active Member

When I log into Nominet I see that 1&1 has regged a bunch of .UK domains without me asking them to. They haven't invoiced me.

Guess I'm free to transfer these via Nominets system? Nothing 1&1 can do to stop that?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. armistice United Kingdom

armistice Active Member

I assume these are the .uk right of registration counterparts to your .co.uk domains.
    They could only be registered to the .co.uk owner, so yes you can transfer them as you wish via Nominet.

4. peacock Sweden

peacock Active Member

Yes, sorry should have been clear.
    Yes they are the .UK versions of the .co.uk that I held.

5. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

There shouldn't be anything stopping you, but it will be interesting to see how that goes. There are well over 100,000 .uk domains registered in June by Fasthosts and Ionos 1&1, without the registrants requesting them to do it. Given that registrants are meant to agree to Nominet's terms and conditions before registration, and Registrars are required to obtain that consent, the whole process is quite unorthodox, though sanctioned and blessed by Nominet "to stop cybersquatting".

If you want to, it would be interesting if you could confirm that the move away from Ionos 1&1 goes through alright.

6. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member Full Member

It's funny because weren't they trying to charge people for these? Just move them all over in bulk for £10 + VAT (wish there was a laughing emoji)