20i Domains

123REG Taking Liberties with your .uk domain registration rights

Discussion in 'General Board' started by DaveBeasley, Oct 15, 2017.

1. RobM

RobM Retired Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Good too see 123dregs using there old shyster ways with a modern twist of .uk… (Ensuring they become a bigger registrar to boot well done undoubtedly better for clients. :)) Move to another registrar or get you own tag. Better still don’t waste your money on cop.uk at all through it away on .com,….

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Certainly hard to understand why any Acorn regulars would use them...

5. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Seems to be some misinformation in this thread.

• It’s a free offer that some registrars are taking advantage of by registering the .uk domain names to the corresponding SLD registrant if a RoR exists.
    • The free registration period is 2 years, taking the registration beyond the June 2019 RoR cut off point.
    • Registrants should check the T&C’s at their registrar to see if their registrar is permitted to do this for them. That’s where the customer relationship lies.
    • If some registrars are registering using privacy services I can’t see why a registrant cannot ask for privacy to be removed.
    • If a registrant does not wish to retain any domain name they can ask either their registrar or the registry to delete it. Alternatively they can transfer it to another registrar and/or change the registrant if they wish.
    • Auto renewal can be turned off. The registrar should have corespondended with you about this offer. Registrants should consult their registrar T&C’s to see whether their registrar is permitted to do this on their behalf.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Note that if you delete the .uk, you'll be worse off than if it was never registered as you'll lose the RoR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rwinslow United Kingdom

rwinslow Member

Domain Privacy has been enabled where manual opt-in was not selected, this was chosen to not populate the Whois database without domain holder consent. Customers will be able to activate the domain and activate the registrant details through their 123 Reg control panel from November.

8. rwinslow United Kingdom

rwinslow Member

Yes, once registered and activated within the 123 Reg control panel tag changes can be made. The domains are free for two years.

9. rwinslow United Kingdom

rwinslow Member

Registrations are free for two years, taking past the June 2019 deadline to October 2019, giving domain holders the chance to use the domains in this time. Tag change is free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rwinslow United Kingdom

rwinslow Member

The ROR free for two years campaign was open (I believe) to all Nominet tag holders. Other registrars have acted with the same / similar process.

11. ANY-Web United Kingdom

ANY-Web Member Exclusive Member

I just read this thread about 123-Reg tonight and am shocked at their shortsightedness and temerity.

Invincible wrote:
    The free registration period is 2 years, taking the registration beyond the June 2019 RoR cut off point.
    People on Acorn seem to assume that the June 2019 RoR cut off point is cast in stone.
    My guess is 123-Reg will be left with a legal headache if this cut off point were to be postponed beyond 2019.

.uk names "force-registered" by 123-Reg (without explicit application by the owner of the .uk rights) might be dropped
    at the earliest opportunity by end users unaware of the long term implications of doing so.
    This will leave the field wide open for lawyers to step in once those end users wake up.

I can just hear the PPI style phone calls.
    "Hello. Did you ever own a .co.uk domain name? If so you may be entitled to compensation".

It is a scandal in the making.
    In slow-motion, right before our eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Now if only we could find a link between millionaire 123reg and nominet........... hmm.....Oh I just thought - does anyone have a current list of nominet board members, 123 board members, and sisters/brothers in law/cousins? Just interested.

13. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

So let's get this correct: If the ROR 'owners' don't act on this 'kind' free gesture from their registrar, then with the expiration point past June 2019, which is when the ROR rights cease, the registrar gets the right to re-register to the ID protection company again, but then it'll be a keeper for them. So that's it in a nutshell, yes?

Some valuable generic domains will never become available then!

Wow! Nice!!

14. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Who? Thanks.

15. invincible

There are others. Has been mentioned on the Nominet member forum. Why don’t you ever participate there?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. invincible

Not true unless this is what the registrant has explicately consented to or something else has changed.

Edit: I thought some more about your post and I think I can see what you’re suggesting.

I presume you are wondering whether any .uk domain names that were registered under this promotion and remained inactive after two years would be “scooped up” by the registrar via a registrar actioned renewal with the domain name remaining registered to their privacy entity so nobody other than they, and possibly the original RoR registrant, if they were ever aware, would know whether the original RoR registrant remained the registrant of the domain name held by the privacy service or not? Is that what you were pondering?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  17. RobM

RobM Retired Member

So back to the original question to people who *don't* want to read through another forum. Who? Thanks. Actually my question wasn't directed to you because you're a tit (that's why you're on my ignore list) but thanks for getting involved (I'm sure the grown-ups are very proud of you) - would like to hear from the commenter before.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  18. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

I never quite know whether you are actually naive or blind, but let's not dwell of that for now. Instead, how about watching these generics in .co.uk & .uk for the next 2 years, and we'll see who owns both versions in two years time:
    antiques
    auctions
    boxer
    buffalo
    confetti
    elvis
    fitness
    gazelle
    jersey
    magicians
    matte
    mites
    mobiles
    octopus
    piercing
    rhapsody
    store
    talon
    tests
    tickets

19. invincible

See my edit. I thought about it again after I posted.

20. ian

ian Well-Known Member

The two year campaign by Nominet was indeed an option, but not for registrars to make their own decision on physically registering domains on behalf of their customers, effectively taking them out of the ROR status. I've personally ignored these promotions as I prefer ROR intact for as long as possible, it is less clutter in a portfolio for one (not being listed), and makes selling easier too. What 123Reg have done is a breach of all conditions and Nominet should be acting upon this. I wonder if @invincible will request a response from Nominet on this, or whether (to be invincible) will agree with what this registrar are doing!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Since the registrars are doing this via some kind of assumed/buried/non-existent "permission" anyway, there's nothing to suggest they won't go ahead and keep the names after they expire. Happens a lot in the .com world (again, because it's buried on p.5728 of a T&C document so opaque even the person who drafted it fell asleep during the process).

Basically, when it comes to the largest and most predatory registrars, assume the worst then add a bit... and you'll be part of the way towards understanding how rapacious they are.

The registry should be guarding against this of course, but the new, modern, commercial Nominet is too busy propping the door open for them. And you've seen first-hand how much use some of the NED can be...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Tags: