Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

A line that seems to help

dee

Reaction score
Just thought i'd share something that might help others. I'm relatively new to this domaining malarky but enjoying it and learning loads along the way. Especially here.

I've been tweaking my outbound mails and ive noticed adding a line that seems to make all the difference. The past few i've sent out have all resulted in offers / questions. I just had the quickest turnaround yet. Hand reg and literally 5 mins later a sale for 300.

Ive added this to the end:

"For the purposes of full disclosure, i'm also contacting other businesses and people who are likely to want this domain. I'm expecting it to sell quickly"

It seems to focus the mind of the reader.

Last edited:
Awesome. Beautifully put, short and to the point. Thank you for sharing that.

I remember using a similar line in the past and within the hour I had a text message and several missed calls with voicemail left from the same company director. I do use it from time to time if i am genuinely contacting other companies.

There will be occasions where it will work, but other times when people will regard it as a form of exerting pressure to gain a sale.

Not a criticism, just speaking from experience! Thanks for sharing. :)

Any views on how to explain the pricing? Does anyone use a phrase such as "one-off fee" to explain it's not an on-going lease deal?

Thanks for sharing - agree with @cm1975 - not everyone responds the same way. Depends on what type of person they are - desire to gain or fear of loss.

I've been playing with another line that say something similar to:

'If you are not the person who deals with this, please could you forward me on to the right person' .

Seeming to get some strangely good results with that...

Sure. As I've said in other posts, I never waste a lead - and I never underestimate what email address is going to work. I spent last night getting my own leads for a domain. I split that list up into generic (e.g. info@ sales@, etc) and then I took a list of personal email addresses - and sent both of them the EXACT same email.

It was only sent early this morning - BUT what I did notice SO FAR - is that the open rate was the EXACT SAME - about 18-20% on both sets.....

Will of course reply with results - but I've had some enquiries in JUST from the generic emails. Ones I'd never have thoughts of replying - e.g. (newsletters@)

Out of interest , who uses what to track opens etc ?

We use Sendgrid as an EXIM integration on our servers, so all mail goes via Sendgrid instead of native Cpanel mail, that is then traced showing opens, clicks and displays errors ( like bounces, rejections ) in a nice statistics panel instead of diving through server logs. It's only basic form of tracking but it gives you knowledge that the email has been seen and not landed in a spam folder.

Other options are mailchimp/mandrill, Sparkpost etc. If sending via my main email address though I go through Google business mail so I don't tend to track those.

I like it, to get around the concerns of pressure selling I'd tweak it like:

"For the purposes of full disclosure, i'm also contacting other businesses and people I believe would be interested in acquiring this domain."

The "I'm expecting it to sell quickly" line doesn't need to be said, I personally think it does more harm than good. Let them come to that conclusion themselves, which they will do if they have any interest in the domain.

Be aware that the law may treat unsolicited emails sent to general email addresses and to specific individuals differently. Not necessarily a problem, but worth considering.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom