Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Advice on Best/Cheapest Domain Registrar for .uk/.co.uk domain renewals

Reaction score
Hi, Just looking for advice on the best place to move by .co.uk/.uk domains too? I'm currently paying £9.99 per year for renewals, but looking for somewhere cheaper as I have over 100 domains.

I found heartinternet that offer domain credits which work out at just over £4 per year, but this doesnt seem to include .uk domains.

I understand I could get my own tag with nominet, but not sure how difficult/time consuming this would be to setup and manage.

Thanks

I understand I could get my own tag with nominet, but not sure how difficult/time consuming this would be to setup and manage.

It's actually pretty straight forward if you just need self-managed ( if you're not a public facing registrar ) One off payment of 400 and then 100 a year. There aren't that many hoops to jump through either.

Thanks for the advice. Is it easy to move all your domains from your registrar over to your own nominet tag? and do nominet have a control panel to manage all your domains?

Thanks for the advice. Is it easy to move all your domains from your registrar over to your own nominet tag? and do nominet have a control panel to manage all your domains?

Moving domains to Nominet Registrar account is easy. Nominet Control Panel provides a very good interface to manage domains, contacts and everything else you might need.

If you need hosting as well 20i are particularly good value. Hosting costs just over £30 a month but you then get reseller prices on domains - so .co.uk and .uk are £4.99 + VAT and .com prices are good as well. The control panel is superb and fast - so is the hosting.

If you need to see Nominets control panel let me know and i will do a screen share with you then you can see whats involved.

If you need hosting as well 20i are particularly good value. Hosting costs just over £30 a month but you then get reseller prices on domains - so .co.uk and .uk are £4.99 + VAT and .com prices are good as well. The control panel is superb and fast - so is the hosting.

Maybe worth mentioning that 20i offer free hosting with any domain. It's not too restrictive either with https and a single database you can run a basic wordpress site, url shortener or a simple holding page at no extra cost.

Not suitable for an important site but useful for stuff that would otherwise cost a couple of quid a month to keep up.

To give you an idea of the maths, if you're paying £10/domain with an external provider, having your own TAG becomes cheaper at 22 domains (£220 vs £219 after you account for the £120 year membership). If you're paying £4.99+VAT, that becomes 82 domains (£491.18 vs £489).

That doesn't include the £500 one-off membership fee - I spread that over 5 years for my calculations, which gave me a breakeven of 40 domains at £10/year (£400/year whether you have a TAG or not) or 150 at £5.99/year (£898.50 vs £895). If you put the entire fee into year one, that means you'd need 113 domains to make your own TAG cheaper at £10/domain (£1130 vs £1128.5) or 419 at £5.99 (£2509.81 vs £2505.50)

How much is the yearly fee for UK domains if you have a tag at nominet? I understand there are subscription fees too.

Can you enter nameservers at nominet for landing pages?

I use Digital Ocean for nameservers - they work well and it's free even if you don't have any paid services with them.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom