Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Any real sales of .uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they re going to be the exception though.... the only one posted for sale recently that I actually thought hey someone could develop this, was divorce.org.uk

.uk needs another 18 months yet then you watch the sales start :D

The one area I think that there is scope for .uk sites is for 'official' sounding sites, although doing so could be somewhat dubious.

For example, passports.uk looks better than passports.co.uk to me because it hints at it being the official website (like police.uk or nhs.uk).

I'd go as far to say the .org.uk looks better on a lot of these types of sites as well.

Well, Ive sold maybe 6-7 .uk domains, I dont really want to get into how and why as thats my own tatics, but going of my own sales the buyers I am hearing from are all aware of .uk.

You dont just go and spend hundreds/thousands of pounds on a domain name without being up to speed on the current climate.

Sean is right on the money, .uk was always there being typed in by the shed loads, its easier and lazier and therefore its got to be a winner.

Dont fight change embrace! :D

Have you got Ebola as well Scott ;)

Ha ha, no.

If you were looking for information on apprenticeships for example, I think apprenticeships.org.uk is infinitely more clickable than the .co.uk. The .co.uk implies it's a commercial site, and with that comes an agenda. Regarding the .org.uk, many people think .org.uk are only used by non-profit type organisations, and thus they will get a more balanced viewpoint.

I'd have the .org.uk every time.

*cough*

sedo and .uk

Try inputting your .UK into many of the sign up forms. I only use one .UK and out of maybe 20 times Ive input it, half of them wouldn't accept it. including a well known high street store.

Even at Sedo.co.uk when you add a .uk domain via its add domains for sale screen, it has a red squiggle line to show .uk domains are incorrect!

Although there are currently 3,083 .uk domains on sale at Sedo.co.uk (20.775 .org.uk domains for comparison)

Last edited:
The one area I think that there is scope for .uk sites is for 'official' sounding sites, although doing so could be somewhat dubious.

For example, passports.uk looks better than passports.co.uk to me because it hints at it being the official website (like police.uk or nhs.uk).

I'd go as far to say the .org.uk looks better on a lot of these types of sites as well.
I echo the above comments. I think .uk works perfectly with geo domains for the same reason.

- Rob

Seems to me at the moment the only people profiting from the recent change to .uk are large portfolio holders and domain registrars, interesting, those that had the bulk of the say no doubt.

Last edited:
Ive just tried to up sell a .uk and its not sold, the user was not really bothered about it and he trades from .net/

I just know that next year and year after more people will be aware and will come after the .uks

Seems to me at the moment the only people profiting from the recent change to .uk are large portfolio holders and domain registrars, interesting, those that had the bulk of the say no doubt.

I'm not so sure large portfolio owners are profiting from this ?

The thought of double registration fees in a few years is going to finish some of them off.

Depends on the quality of the portfolio.
Quality names will always have a market at some price, but some names I've seen, you couldn't give them away.

Come the end of the 5yr period, its going to be like peeling your skin back. You will have to decide what is worth keeping, and what is worth doubling. Those of us who speculated alot, will face crippling costs. Some on here have 10s of thousands of names, their yearly upkeep just increased £30,000 to £70,000 per year, thats enough to send most under.

The average domainer has around 500-1,000 names, their year just went up around £2,000-£3,000 average.

I'd say larger portfolio holders, are going to feel the pain.

Just double your prices its not hard?

Come the end of the 5yr period, its going to be like peeling your skin back. You will have to decide what is worth keeping, and what is worth doubling. Those of us who speculated alot, will face crippling costs. Some on here have 10s of thousands of names, their yearly upkeep just increased £30,000 to £70,000 per year, thats enough to send most under.

The average domainer has around 500-1,000 names, their year just went up around £2,000-£3,000 average.

I'd say larger portfolio holders, are going to feel the pain.

Some will feel the pain, some will feel the joy.
For everyone who has a worthless domain that doubles in cost another will have a quality domain that will double in value.
Don't register a name that you can not develop if necessary.

People should look closely at their portfolios and bite the bullet on what to keep and what to let go. A lot of new people don't really know how to evaluate their holdings so therein lies the problem.
There is inherent value in certain domain names and this means they will always have some kind of attraction at some price to somebody.

Before anybody cuts a piece from this post and tears into me, I say, this is only my opinion, on a very subjective issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom