Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Any real sales of .uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A client of mine has been discussing selling an .org.uk to an end user and that end user has specifically stated that they have no interest in also acquiring the .co.uk (and hasn't even heard of the .uk). They like the connotations that the ".org" element of .org.uk infers. I've been wondering if the same applies for the ".co" within .co.uk and also whether the "shorter is better" argument is enough to sway continued loyalty towards the longer .co.uk suffix. Perhaps there's more to the meaning of the second level element for many non domain name investors than some give credit?

I think they re going to be the exception though.... the only one posted for sale recently that I actually thought hey someone could develop this, was divorce.org.uk

I think they re going to be the exception though.... the only one posted for sale recently that I actually thought hey someone could develop this, was divorce.org.uk

It is what I would consider an "exception" .org.uk, yes. :)

What was their reaction to .uk when you told him/her about it?

My client isn't the registrant of the .co.uk (and doesn't have the right to the matching .uk). The buyer had asked someone else to negotiate on their behalf and I'm on friendly terms (we've spoken before) with that someone. The initial conversation we had naturally referred to the .co.uk. (there's no point not doing when selling a domain suffixed in .org.uk and where you're extolling the benefits of the ".org" element, in my opinion, which I was, because everyone's heard of .co.uk and generally it is considered the preferential choice) however it was insisted that the client was very interested in inferring a ".org" presence and not a commercial one. I happen to know the domain name investor that is the registrant of the .co.uk and if the buyer had been interested in both domain names, as well as the .uk, it could also have been a nice sale in their direction.

My thinking is there could be more mileage in the second level elements as signifiers than many originally considered.

As I mentioned in reply to monkey, the particular domain name works well with .org.uk. It also works quite with with .co.uk but the inferences are quite different. There would be no inferences with the use of just the .uk and right now, at least, that could be considered undesirable.

(from iPad - K)

Last edited:
.uk needs another 18 months yet then you watch the sales start :D

.uk needs another 18 months yet then you watch the sales start :D

Why 18 months? Why not 9 or 30 instead? You can't simply pull a random number out of your useless behind and post it here retaining any remaining shreds of credibility. ;-)

(from iPad - K)

The one area I think that there is scope for .uk sites is for 'official' sounding sites, although doing so could be somewhat dubious.

For example, passports.uk looks better than passports.co.uk to me because it hints at it being the official website (like police.uk or nhs.uk).

I'd go as far to say the .org.uk looks better on a lot of these types of sites as well.

Well, Ive sold maybe 6-7 .uk domains, I dont really want to get into how and why as thats my own tatics, but going of my own sales the buyers I am hearing from are all aware of .uk.

You dont just go and spend hundreds/thousands of pounds on a domain name without being up to speed on the current climate.

Sean is right on the money, .uk was always there being typed in by the shed loads, its easier and lazier and therefore its got to be a winner.

Dont fight change embrace! :D

Have you got Ebola as well Scott ;)

Ha ha, no.

If you were looking for information on apprenticeships for example, I think apprenticeships.org.uk is infinitely more clickable than the .co.uk. The .co.uk implies it's a commercial site, and with that comes an agenda. Regarding the .org.uk, many people think .org.uk are only used by non-profit type organisations, and thus they will get a more balanced viewpoint.

I'd have the .org.uk every time.

*cough*

Well, Ive sold maybe 6-7 .uk domains, I dont really want to get into how and why as thats my own tatics, but going of my own sales the buyers I am hearing from are all aware of .uk.

You're telling us that the buyers of your "maybe 6-7.uk domain names" are "all aware of .uk"?! Surely not. ;)

You dont just go and spend hundreds/thousands of pounds on a domain name without being up to speed on the current climate.

Those wanting .co.uk would likely want the right to the .uk (or the registered .uk) included if they were informed of its existence. None of that means that many .uk domain names will necessarily ever be anything other than left unregistered until summer 2019 and then registered defensively, never entering the zone file.

(from iPad - K)

Ha ha, no.

If you were looking for information on apprenticeships for example, I think apprenticeships.org.uk is infinitely more clickable than the .co.uk. The .co.uk implies it's a commercial site, and with that comes an agenda. Regarding the .org.uk, many people think .org.uk are only used by non-profit type organisations, and thus they will get a more balanced viewpoint.

I'd have the .org.uk every time.

*cough*

This was the argument that I had with the buyers representative, following these principles, and is one that the buyer also agrees with.

(from iPad - K)

Sean is right on the money,

That statement belongs in the list of other empty statements constantly recycled on this forum. Up there with "cracking domain name" and "back on the development pile".

.uk was always there being typed in by the shed loads, its easier and lazier and therefore its got to be a winner.

I'm not sure it was ever being typed in to a great extent. What's your source for that? You're lazy but you're not a winner. 'nuff said! :)

(from iPad - K)

I can't disagree with anything you say but I have to keep coming back to the fact that most people consume the internet via Google and Facebook and until someone can show me that ranking .uk is tougher than ranking .co.uk or org.uk then I will build all my new sites on the .uk because I find it verbally and aesthetically superior.

Your personal preference and that's perfectly fine. It wasn't Rakuten's. :)

Let me ask a question. Hypothetically, let's imagine that .uk doesn't gain any traction and in five years time, few have exercised their right to the .uk and some truly premium .uk names start becoming available to register. Will people on here still be of the same opinion and be passing up the opportunity to register them?

Members of this forum enjoy speculating. Some will, some won't. By then perhaps Nominet will have given up on two things:

(a) not publishing the zone files and the lists of all registered domain names (including those that are not in the zone files), allowing those interested to produce daily statistics and complete domain lists easily.

(b) preventing registrants of .uk 2LDs from being creative and selling third level registrations.

(from iPad - K)

sedo and .uk

Try inputting your .UK into many of the sign up forms. I only use one .UK and out of maybe 20 times Ive input it, half of them wouldn't accept it. including a well known high street store.

Even at Sedo.co.uk when you add a .uk domain via its add domains for sale screen, it has a red squiggle line to show .uk domains are incorrect!

Although there are currently 3,083 .uk domains on sale at Sedo.co.uk (20.775 .org.uk domains for comparison)

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Nominet does under its new CEO. Will he play it safe, pick up his salary and bonus and walk off into the sunset after a few years or will he try and make his mark and risk innovating?

No idea but my top tip for 2014 to domain name investors is to campaign hard for both A and B in my previous post to be fulfilled in the near future. :)

(from iPad - K)

The one area I think that there is scope for .uk sites is for 'official' sounding sites, although doing so could be somewhat dubious.

For example, passports.uk looks better than passports.co.uk to me because it hints at it being the official website (like police.uk or nhs.uk).

I'd go as far to say the .org.uk looks better on a lot of these types of sites as well.
I echo the above comments. I think .uk works perfectly with geo domains for the same reason.

- Rob

Seems to me at the moment the only people profiting from the recent change to .uk are large portfolio holders and domain registrars, interesting, those that had the bulk of the say no doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom