Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anybody using CMS for website design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody used Content Management Systems for maintaining their sites? Had an idea that it might be easier to develop and maintain minisites this way.

Thanks
Stephen.

I would but i can't find a CMS that suits my needs, i'm very demanding you see!

Joomla probably comes the closest but it looks like it'll take time to learn, and it looks like a truly customised template would take alot of work.

It certainly would be easier though.

A nice and simple one i found that had some nice features is SenseSites - Prebuilt, quality content AdSense websites

Perreo y Musica Reggaeton is an example of a site using their cms.

try OpenSourceCMS - Home

If the site is multi page and multi-admin / multi-editor then a cms is ideal. We use postnuke - but only cos it was the best at the time. We're slowly migrating to vBulletin with linked in satellite programs including drupal for the news cms.

Best cms? Depends on what you need. Joomla / Mambo are good but complex. Drupal has a vgood reputation.

Check the reviews above...

S

I use Joomla heavily and have found it easy to use for many sites....

CMS and learning curve.

If you are looking for a CMS, the "best" one will be the one that already does, or can be made to do exactly what you want. The pickier you are, the closer you might come to needing to learn how to use your chosen CMS's more advanced features, or a custom CMS built for your own needs. That takes either time to learn to do it yourself, or the money to pay someone else to do it for you.

In my own personal opinion. Joomla is the best cookie cutter site maker out of the box, with plenty of easy to use add ons to choose from. If you need a more customized setup, you might take the dive into learning to use TYPO3, though the learning curve is higher, it can do amazing things! I have heard good things about Drupal, but have not used it extensively. It might actually be a good middle ground to check into.

I use Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla but in terms for security, I prefer Drupal.

TYP03 is Astonishingly powerful and sometimes easier to use than cracking open dreamweaver and writting my own custom CMS on projects.

Drupal and Joomla are kinda similar in their feature sets.

TypoLight is a very powerfull CMS. Not quite as powerfull as Typo3 but then its a lot easier to use than that too...
Does take a bit of getting used to and will take a bit to find how to make the most of it.

I second wordpress.
I also sometimes use sitex from sitex.bjsintay.com

For a blog, wordpress is always my first choice. For a bigger CMS, if I cannot hammer wordpress into doing what I want (and often I can), then it's either Drupal (though I do winge about it a lot) or create my own from scratch (if the reauirement is not overly complex.

To be honest, though, a bit of wordpress wrangling by an experienced wordpress developer and you can create a pretty strong CMS.

Joomla 1.5 is much easier than the older version. Still takes some time, but with the multiple extensions and templates available, it does a nice job.

bartolomo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom