Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Applying for a second tag (Channel Partner)

Discussion in 'Nominet Tag Holders' started by timter51, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member

I have my own self-managed tag which I use for domain catching. I'm planning to apply for second tag for domain portfolio management, which will likely have domains registered to various different registrants. I can't do this on my self-managed tag due to the registrant restriction, but also I want to split catching with portfolio / sales.

Has anyone done this before? Are Nominet pretty relaxed about this? It seems all I need is to have a website for the tag, with contact info etc. But do I need provide visitors to that site with the ability to register and manage their domains (I'm hoping no.....)?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I went the other way adding a self managed to my channel partner tag. I had no issue from Nominet other than a little delay as it was at the time the new tag classifications were introduced so I guess they had more applications to deal with than usual.

As for providing access for visitors to register & manage domains, give WHMCS a look, there's a Nominet module, modules for enom and other large companies should you wish to offer more than just .uk domains. You can also easily add cPanel and other popular panels if you want to offer hosting. If you want something simpler, then you could just build a few forms and funnel these into an email / ticket system, but you'll have more manual work to do to register and manage the domains.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I just completed the channel partner requirements and went with a personal tag.

I completed Channel Partner, I didn't need to give people the ability self manage, just had to have loads of useless text. Within the contractual terms I had to specify time frames for actions and stuff.

5. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Have a number of private clients so wasn't going to offer a public-facing registration service, but your suggestion of WHMCS has got me thinking. Do you use it yourself?

6. timter51

Thanks guys, I've sent in my request.

I know you can't do free transfers on a Channel Partner tag, which is a shame, but could I transfer from my self-managed to my Channel Partner for free?

7. Sam

Sam Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes you can.

Sent from my Oneplus One

8. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I got WHMCS for my clients, did a little code crunching to get it to import invoices & payments into the KashFlow accounting system I use and it more or less behaves itself. I'm not pushing the capabilities of it in any way, I just wanted something I could set & forget for repeat billing but never had the spare time to get round to writing myself.

9. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

How are those with very minimal need of a CP tag ensuring they meet the web site and customer service requirements? I'm aware of a few predominantly SM tag holders that may also wish to have a CP tag for a small number of customers with the minimum of fuss in respect of Nominet compliance.

Has anyone succeeded in discussing custom requirements with Nominet to be able to be a SM tag holder while managing a very small number of customers, regardless of the number of domain names that those customers have? I was led to believe by Nominet senior management that it is possible to talk to them about custom requirements but I still haven't yet done so.

One example: I am aware of a member that really wishes to be just SM. His father has a LTD entity and the domain name is registered to either the LTD or the director (which is his father). The member isn't associated with the LTD itself.

I've read that SM tag holders are allowed to have customers but, according to the compliance documents, if they do they need to do the same as CP tag holders in respect of meeting new compliance targets.

10. Skinner

Nominet in less colourful language told me there shall be no custom classifications (despite this being mentioned in the run up), so bugger off. You can be Self Managed, Channel or Accredited, NO MOVEMENT in between. When discussing the cut off for deciding what type, I got the impression, the bigger you are the more time you get.

As a Self Managed tag you can have upto 5% (or 50 whichever the fewer) domains of your total names on tag, registered to other people. You still have to meet channel partner requirements.

Edit: Its worth noting, this is domains. So if you have 100 names on your tag, you can have 5 domains in someone elses name. Thats 5 domains in 1 other name, or 1 each in 5 different reg names.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  11. invincible

Can you clarify that you meant "fewer" and not greater? If one had 100 names, can they really only have 5 registered to third parties? If it really is "fewer" then if you manage 1000 names of your own, 5% is 50. You're sure that 2000 of your own wouldn't give you a 100?

How many SM only tag holders that manage even 1 third party name have met the CP customer service and web site contact details requirements?

(from iPad - B)

12. Skinner

Well nominet use LOWER, but I guess smaller of, or least of could work too ?

http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/namespace/uk/registrar-agreement/reclassification-selfmanaged

then the next bit about meeting channel partner is also on that very same page...

I don't know how many others have, but I believe at the end of this month, nominet will be reviewing each tag, and I assume suspending/blocking tags which don't/won't comply.

13. invincible

I'm speaking with Nominet about this because I suspect that many Self Managed (SM) only tag holders may find themselves falling fowl of rules relating to compliance after 22nd September if they aren't careful.

As self managed tag holders may be aware they have the ability to effect free transfers using a new method. However they don't have the ability to force a tag change at the same time. This means that as soon as a free transfer is undertaken the self managed tag holder is acting in the same way as a channel partner would be, even if they don't have a channel partner tag.

I have asked Nominet how they would view domain names that became registered to third parties, such as after a free transfer had been effected, and were still held on a self managed tag where that self managed tag holder wasn't compliant with the channel partner requirements. Nominet have the view that they'd allow a 24 hour grace period for any domain names in this state, allowing the new registrant and the self managed tag holder to move them to another tag holder.

Members with channel partner tags, or with only a self managed tag but wishing to manage domain names for third parties not connected with them need to be fully compliant with the channel partner requirements. This appears to mean having a web site with customer service information as well as contact email addresses, a published postal address and explanation of various policies.

Has anyone already complied with his and are they prepared to share their web site URL here?

(from iPad - K)

14. timter51

I have a website with all contact details and enquiry response times, but I haven't (yet) put up any sort of policy docs, T&Cs etc. I explained to Nominet in my Channel Partner application that the tag will be used purely for holding domains in a portfolio for marketing / brokering and I won't be offering registration, management etc. I'm expecting them to reply to say that I still need to put up all sorts of documentation, but I'm hoping there's a chance that common sense can prevail and they can be flexible. My application is under review now, so I'll report back.

15. Skinner

They will be as flexible as half brick, and equal common sense.

I spent nearly 5-6 wks going back and fro, you are either A, B or C. You comply with your type or you get sanctions.

16. timter51

Damn it! :D So did you have to produce all sorts of policy docs and T&Cs for your site? Or is it all generic stuff? Would be interested to see what lengths you had to go to here, trying to make this as smooth as possible...

17. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

I saw a channel partner tag this week change to self in less than 5 days. Less than 100 words for all sections in total.

There are no huge terms needed. Just basic info and common sense.

18. invincible

Have you a link to their web site detailing their customer service and abuse policies?

(from iPhone)

19. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

You don't need a web site. You can give your terms to any customer you may have via email, letter or durable medium. With a link to nominets own terms.

20. invincible

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Nominet consider that not having a web site is okay according to these links where they make various references to having a web site and publishing a physical address:

http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/namespace/uk/registrar-agreement/channel-partner

http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/na...nt/reclassification-guidance#Customer website

http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/na...ion-guidance#Complaints and appeal procedures

(from iPhone)

21. timter51

Caz is talking about going from Channel Partner to Self-Managed which is very easy, most of us here would have done it. You don't need a website, T&Cs etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.