Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Buying a co.uk - do you mention the .uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are talking specifically "buy now" scenario where at time of "buy now" the .uk clearly states....

Right of registration to .uk:
the-name-I'm-buying.co.uk

Why would I want to show my hand?
At time of sale, whois clearly states it belongs to the co.uk registrant. When "buy now" pressed, contract agreed to sell the co.uk and with that, comes right of registration for .uk as seller has not taken the right to register before "buy now"

Normally things would be listed.
It is listed on the whois. it belongs to the owner of co.uk. That owner is now me.

I think one could argue at time of sale, it is an asset.

It truly amazes me that there are people on this thread advocating "not showing their hand".

As we all know, pressing that buy now button constitutes nothing in practice. How many of us have had sales on Sedo fall through? And how many have pursued those clickers legally? Why? Because of the cost and time involved of doing so.

And yet here we have seasoned domainers arguing to keep quiet about the .uk to get a better price and saying take it to court if you don't get the .uk.

Trust

Did you ask Nominet?

Have posted the question on the question on the Nominet members forum.

As a buyer and seller of UK domains, I would like Nominet
to get involved in the situation they have created.

Also my aim is to help produce a better, more trusted aftermarket,
for UK domain sales.

Have posted the question on the question on the Nominet members forum.

As a buyer and seller of UK domains, I would like Nominet
to get involved in the situation they have created.

Also my aim is to help produce a better, more trusted aftermarket,
for UK domain sales.

Let us know when you hear back because this is the information we all need moving forward.

And I appreciate you want a trusted aftermarket , but "keeping quiet" as a buyer, as some are advocating, does not contribute to that.

Lots of different situations

Let us know when you hear back because this is the information we all need moving forward.

And I appreciate you want a trusted aftermarket , but "keeping quiet" as a buyer, as some are advocating, does not contribute to that.

There are situations when it will be easy, possible and advisable to ensure that the .uk is included specifically in the terms to avoid doubt and future potential problems.

If I buy a domain via this forum, I for one, will include terms on .uk rights specifically as a buyer and seller.

But in the real world, like purchases via Sedo and other auction sites (excluding Domainlore - which have taken a lead on the matter) it
is not possible to specifically deal with the .uk matter, when acquiring a .co.uk with .uk rights.

There are also times that you feel the seller does not understand about .uk and if you raise it, they may take a simple view and simply double the price (as some on this forum believe you should do), would you take the risk?

I have raised a point of law as regards when the rights to the .uk within the .co.uk sale crystalize, I hope that Nominet who created the situation,
will stand up and deal with this legitimate question.

There are also times that you feel the seller does not understand about .uk and if you raise it, they may take a simple view and simply double the price (as some on this forum believe you should do), would you take the risk?

How does exploiting someone's ignorance square with your aim "to help produce a better, more trusted aftermarket, for UK domain sales?"

The risk to me would be in not getting the .uk so yes I would raise it every time. If the price then increased and exceeded what I wanted to pay, I would walk away.

Good to know there are a lot of legal experts on Acorn if I never need one :D

Not sure how keeping quiet about it and hoping you get it as part of the deal because the seller is clueless s a recommended approach. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I think you have to bring it up immediately as part of the deal. I wouldn't worry about how mentionining it effects price in the slightest. You're going to know from the asking price of the .co.uk whether the seller is realistic in their valuations or not.

There is another tangential situation that may be worth considering, and that is, if you personally really believe that .uk is going to be the out-and-out "winner" long-term, then there may be opportunity in persuading .co.uk owners who don't share that view to part with just the .uk of their domain.

Obviously, just like any kind of prospecting for potential domain purchase leads, you may have to approach a number of firms to find one willing to make that kind of a deal, but if you guess right it could still have a nice payoff down the road.

Walk away....

How does exploiting someone's ignorance square with your aim "to help produce a better, more trusted aftermarket, for UK domain sales?"

The risk to me would be in not getting the .uk so yes I would raise it every time. If the price then increased and exceeded what I wanted to pay, I would walk away.

Point taken, we all have our own moral code on how much information we supply to buyers, in different situations.

In the case in question, it is for a trading company and not a simple domain investment and so choice is more limited and requirements more specific and the seller has already upped the price, so in this case it is harder to walk away as you suggest but I think I will walk away and switch to another tld.

OK I've done a little test by purchasing a 'buy it now' domain on SEDO and adding the message below to the transfer agent.

If I get a reply, I will post it here.

Please take into account the new rights relating to .co.uk sales.

At the exact moment of this purchase, accidentbook.co.uk holds the registration rights to accidentbook.uk, but the right has not been exercised.

I am purchasing accidentbook.co.uk AND the right to register accidentbook.uk from Nominet at some point within the next 5 years.

Please DO NOT RELEASE PAYMENT to the seller until you have accidentbook.co.uk transferred AND have confirmed by a Nominet WHOIS lookup, the rights to accidentbook.co.uk have not been exercised by the seller between now and the date the domain is transferred to you.

Regards
Glenn

This 'buy it now' purchase went through with .uk rights intact. But I realize this was the discretion of the seller rather than anything SEDO did...they didn't even acknowledge my question.

I can only think uk is such an insignificant element of sedo revenues, they just don't care. It's inconceivable they didn't see this coming.

Well done Domainlore for taking an early lead on this...in my mind sedo is no longer a safe place for .co.uk/.uk transactions.

Last edited:
Well done Domainlore for taking an early lead on this...in my mind sedo is no longer a safe place for .co.uk/.uk transactions.

Domainlore has added this update as of today:

DomainLore is now smarter to recognise various .uk/co.uk sale possibilities and displays status messages on every relevant auction page, including potential warnings.

It is now also possible to start .uk auctions for registered domains.

It is not possible for the owner of paired domains to list for sale just one.

Domainlore has added this update as of today:

DomainLore is now smarter to recognise various .uk/co.uk sale possibilities and displays status messages on every relevant auction page, including potential warnings.

It is now also possible to start .uk auctions for registered domains.

It is not possible for the owner of paired domains to list for sale just one.

Must be based on whois. Surely you'd just change the registrant on one of them if you wanted to only sell the .co.uk or .uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom