Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Can You See This Light Grey Background On Your Monitor?

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by accelerator, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

And here's me thinking you haven't got around to a redesign because you're too busy with other projects. :p

2. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Guys

How's my Sunday design "update" going so far? See this page. I've tried to get rid of some of the worst elements of "90s" design, e.g. all the orange arrows are gone, how do you think it's going?

Rgds

3. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

How many hours have you spent doing this update? You're wasting your time.

It's not tweaks and minor updates you need here! It's a complete redesign from scratch, including logo, branding, colour palette. EVERYTHING AGAIN FROM SCRATCH.

4. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

ON ANOTHER NOTE. This niche is far far too saturated, with many big and well recognised players that quite frankly you won't compete against without BIG investment.

Put your time and effort elsewhere, honestly.

5. accelerator United Kingdom

Not long, about 40 minutes.

I realise I won't compete on "mens clothing", but I can compete on the longtail.

I realise my redesign is not ideal, but I do think it looks better.

6. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Why did I even bother with those two replies lol.

7. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

What's the aversion to a taking a complete new template for this?? You must have a template.php type file or similar? Seriously, if this is one of your main sites, just ditch this design and use one of the ones suggested earlier. You'll need to consider mobile ready anyway.

PS the more links you have from these threads on AD isn't going to do much for additional rankings!

8. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

Hi mate you wouldn't believe how much work I've put in on your part tonight.

This one took me 3 vodka oranges, 2 sambukas, and a punch.

[​IMG]

Anyway she said she can't see that pixel and she's gonna buy what your selling.

Happy to help.

I'll be back tomorrow.

9. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

There is still a large orange arrow right at the top?

10. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

urgh guys I'm really worried seems I've woken up on what I thought 09/03/2015 but seems it's 09/03/1995

Congrats @Accelerator you wasted 40 minutes of your Sunday ... and the time of everyone whose read this thread

11. SF

SF Well-Known Member

LOL MAX,

"You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink"

12. accelerator United Kingdom

There shouldn't be any more, try clicking refresh.

13. accelerator United Kingdom

I might do that at some point, I just can't do it at the moment, as I'm working on other things. I also know that I can make sales from sites that look like this.

What I really need is more links in to certain niche pages. If you are a one-man operation in a similar situation, i.e. have a shopping blog and need links in to niche pages on your shopping product site, then get in touch, I might be able to work with you.

Rgds

14. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Is there not another basic template for the script you are using which doesnt rely on tables and inline styling and widths.

If there is install it, with an hour or 2 of editing CSS you could have a totally different site but as it stands with tables everywhere with inline widths anything you do to that template is counter productive.

I wish you'd stop saying that, you only have to look at SEM Rush to see a rough guide as to what kind of long tails your generating, now lets take that Ladies Zip Up Dressing Gowns page, you have a number of positions in broad search terms which land you between 16 - 30th position, Now look at the competition for those same search terms, look at their sites...................how does that make you feel.

Now do that for each of the long tails you target, there is a gaping difference, you could even fit in the category of being considered "unhelpful" with thin content and affiliate links all over the place rather than actually providing something of quality that will benefit the user.

A little bit of effort and you could potentially do much better than you currently are, your lack of conviction is irritating, anyone else i would have ignored by now but i weirdly find this a little amusing lol.

15. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

it would suggest it was hit by penguin in april 2012

16. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Indeed, those were my thoughts but didnt want to dishearten the lad even more than he's already getting a pounding for lol :rolleyes:

17. accelerator United Kingdom

No, because I wrote the original script I'm using about five years ago. I'm not up to speed on the latest CSS techniques, but it's the prospect of swapping all my pages over that stops me. In principal I would like to get rid of the tables and do things properly but I think it's going to be a big headache.

18. accelerator United Kingdom

What am I supposed to be recognising about the competitor sites? I don't understand.

19. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Is the site price tapestry? If so maybe be worth going over to look at the latest version as believe there's a new responsive layout available for trial. I'm haven used it but I'm guessing this will be much easier to style.

20. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

If its a script which has hundreds of individual php pages then yes, i can relate to that heartache. Had a client a couple of years ago that moved a 700 php file site to wordpress, time consuming isnt the word.

That being said , if that is the case then forget about the script , setup wordpress and start copying pages across with a nice new layout. Once done setup redirects and give your self a new lease of life.

Or Setup a new site/domain with wordpress and start from scratch, rewrite your content and then redirect your current pages to the new pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.