20i Reseller Hosting

Change background colour of Animated gif or MP4

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by Adam H, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Used an online tool to turn the background colour from white to transparent which was fine for the gif, but then found that the gif was 800k in file size and not really small enough to use on a page, converting the same gif to an MP4 is great as it then reduces that further to 127k which is ideal for an animated web display.

However on the MP4 the video background is natively white meaning it doesnt blend with the background like id want it to, Is there anyone that can change the background colour of the animated GIF or video for me ?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

would this do it

https://ezgif.com

theres a colour filter on there and various tools

4. Adam H

Yeah thats the one I used to make the background transparent, unfortunately i cant see anyway of changing it to a different colour. Nor can I find any other working online tools which do it :(

5. dee

6. Adam H

Hmm , I tried that and it didnt work with my gif........but works fine with yours. Will try with a different browser just incase

7. Adam H

Na doesnt bloody work with my gif randomly.

8. dee

Weird. That one was one they already had up there.

9. Carlos Mexico

Carlos Active Member

10. Adam H

Yeah it was originally a 1.7mb gif, the 800k is the compressed version :D

11. Carlos Mexico

Carlos Active Member

Is the animation too long? How much time it takes?
    Maybe you can remove unnecessary frames or scale it to a smaller size.

12. Adam H

Its only a couple of seconds long but high in detail, I have tried to remove every second and 4th frames but it makes too much difference to the detail. The animation will never be small enough ( file size ) as a gif, hence the need to convert to MP4. The only problem is as a video the background, so the idea is to change the white background to the colour of choice ( slight off white/grey ) so that when we convert the gif to mp4 it also retains the correct colour background.

Scale is also as small as we can make it without losing functionality 600px wide

13. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can simply change the background colour, you can set the transparency key to any of the 256 colour options but you can't enact a global colour change. Such a change would require it altering frame by frame, so a few seconds long could be as many as 60-100 frames, and be a heap of editing.

Often changes like like are done with the source material before the animation is made, reversing from the gif is like reversing from a finished movie to make changes.

Saying that, I've never tried, I believe photoshop has some basic gif editing options as does premier, I can take a look for you :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  14. Adam H

I think the way it would be done is rather than adding a layer ( background colour ) , it would be more of a colour replace. So all white in the gif would be replaced with a different colour...........which seems to be possible, just not with my gif lol

15. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Depending on the imagery, a colour replace can go bad. The number of times I've simply replaced a colour only to find a bit of that colour is elsewhere on the image. Saying that a colour replace could work with such a limited colour palette.

I'd probably use the flood fill too with zero tolerance so it only changes surrounding/touching pixels of the same colour, frame by frame.

Its not something I've done before, so not sure how I would do it until I had it in front of me.

• Like Like x 1