Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domain Lore

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by developdomains, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestHamFan

WestHamFan Active Member

I'm not sure if DL being as picky as they are isn't going to hurt their future sales.

Domainers who submit names for consideration are also potential bidders on the site. If DL constantly reject all but the greatest names (or names that don't come from their preferred sellers) then logic says a lot of people will lose interest in the site.

I know from other threads there's been some non-payer problems at DL. Could this be in part due to some domainers getting constantly knocked back all the time and eventually giving up on DL as a venue to trade at? Are domainers expecting a venue where they are able to buy & sell and eventually start to dislike the feeling that they are expected to only use the site as a buyer only?

There are relatively few actual auctions happening on DL so being too picky and pi$$ing too many people off doesn't seem a good long term plan to me for anyone. It takes more than one willing bidder to make an auction work. If willing and able buyers become scarcer and sellers start seeing poor prices as a result then where will DL go in future?

2. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Domain Lore will always run for as long as domain catch is working.

You have to consider that there are around 7-10 tags off the top of my head running on there, which means they are potentially multiple times more likely to catch names.

Having spoken to people using it, they tell me they often get names they catch rejected, and they are names that stand to make Denys money and still he rejects them.

3. WestHamFan

WestHamFan Active Member

I don't doubt the people using the 50/50 deal and various catching services will keep using the site while it suits them.

But...... keeping the ability to sell names on the site so restricted means I still think many other domainers will only use the site to try and grab bargains at best which means sellers might start to feel they aren't doing as well as they might elsewhere.

I dare say most of us believe in letting free markets operate naturally. The minute a market is artificially controlled will it perform as it should long term for buyers or sellers?

I've been watching the site for some time to see how it operates. I see little value in the drop lists offered with only 7 days notice given and I've only submitted a couple of names for consideration to check they wont be accepted having read the threads here.

So I look at DL as a shop where I'm only welcome as a buyer so I still hope another venue will emerge to provide competition to Sedo as a proper marketplace for buying and selling.

4. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

I have sold a few domains at domain lore, independently of the domain catch system (I don't catch for myself)

At a guess around 75% of the domains I have submitted have been turned down. However, i think that rejecting the lesser quality names being submitted is a good thing.

5. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

IHMO

DL seems to be a personal project where profit or commercial viability is not the reason it exists.

It is as it stands a very nice test bed.

I would imagine that before long something similar appears (and quite possibly from another company) that has more to offer both the buyer and seller.

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

People use the 50/50 Deal because hiring a comparable tried, tested and proven script is around £300 per month, so the 50/50 Deal is viable until you have 3-6 months worth lay around. I suspect Denys is happy to let people try and go it alone, but I also suspect he isn't as quick to let the prodigal son return so quickly after.

As for the drop lists, 6-7 days is about the average, I haven't seen many go much further ahead. One member provided me a full suspended list (before the rule change), which I booked about 40-50 names off and got about 20ish with that person from memory, but this is by far the exception.

Most lists that go more than 7 days are illegal under nominets terms because they will most certainly go over the 1,000 per day limit and over the time your allowed to store the data.

From the suspended list (from memory) todays (first day of the list) had like 700 and the last day 60 days away was like 3000 names because many people don't renew untill their site and email stops working.

7. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

okay, sold my first one on domainlore
    not a kings ransom but a sale

so what happens next? do buyers pm me? how do they know how to pay? etc.

i'm a virgin on domainlore so don't know what to do next as seller :p

any tips appreciated?

8. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

@ Pred, once a name has sold, the buyer and seller receive and email from Domainlore, then you both take it from there to make arrangements with each other for payment/transfer.

9. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

thanks buddy
    just got the email :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.