Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domain of a company in administration transferred (illegally?)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some advice on acquiring the domain name of a company in administration (generic descriptive name).

The domain was originally registered in the company name. However, AFTER the administrators took control of the company, the former director transferred it into his own personal name.

I am of the understanding that the domain would belong to the administrators and the director would not have have been allowed to transfer it.

Has anyone had experience of as similar situation? Is he allowed to transfer the name after administration?

Thanks in advance

The director could also be a creditor, and first in the queue to recover what few assets are left.

If you are simply frustrated by lost opportunity to acquire the domain in asset liquidation, then best to move on. Otherwise contact the new Registrant and try to negotiate a deal.

Unless the company bought the domain in the first place, it is likely to have little value in the accounts. If you are a creditor of the company you could question sale to a director, but small chance of any return.

Let it go. Or make an offer to new registrant.

You're not party to any agreements made with the administrators and in my experience you get nowhere chasing after domains in this situation.

Buying from an Adminsitrator is like selling Coke to Pablo, they just aint interested. Move on.

The domains may have never been listed as assets of the company, and therefore transferring them would be fine. Ultimately you only have two choices, contact the director and make an offer or move on.

Buying from an Adminsitrator is like selling Coke to Pablo, they just aint interested. Move on.

I was once told the contract they would have to write to sell me a domain would cost £1000 :| lol

I was once told the contract they would have to write to sell me a domain would cost £1000 :| lol
I had to pay the same once but thankfully the name was worth it.

Other time I got a great name for £200 so just depends on the liquidator. Haven't used this path for a few years though.

I had to pay the same once but thankfully the name was worth it.

Other time I got a great name for £200 so just depends on the liquidator. Haven't used this path for a few years though.

Ahh, yeah if it was a xx,xxx name then it would be worth it even if they're taking the piss with £1000 for the contract

I'm trying to remember what the name was, it was a single word but not a great one, £1000 was getting to be about the limit I would have been willing to pay in total.

What pissed me off about them was they quoted a cost up to a maximum of £950 + vat as they hadn't done one before. This is when you had to get tx forms from Nominet etc.
When they sent the bill it was bang on £950 + vat!!

I don't know, I've purchased a few that way, but as Murray said, there does seem to be a default "not doing anything for less than £750/£1,000" attitude.

I once offered a big accountancy firm £20k+ for a uk domain they didn't even know was owned by the firm they were liquidating.

After jumping through loads of hoops & endless bullshit, nothing came of it.

I suspect most liquidation/insolvency situations are dealt with by a nod & a wink in vape-filled rooms. That one was.

I tried this once, made a very generous 4 figure offer, the liquidator asked the ex owner what they thought it was worth, they said £50K and held onto it.
In fact that liquidation took over 3 years, as far as I can tell the owner was delusional and they milked her for fees
Later sold at auction for less than I offered, sadly they didn't bother telling me about the auction
Incompetence is everywhere

Actually I'm after a name now that's registered to a company that was bought out and shut down, they keep renewing in the name of the non-existent company though.
Wonder what the rules on that are, suspect if I pushed anything with Nominet they'd just change the registrant

Actually I'm after a name now that's registered to a company that was bought out and shut down, they keep renewing in the name of the non-existent company though.
Wonder what the rules on that are, suspect if I pushed anything with Nominet they'd just change the registrant
Well things use to be very different (and is why I was able to continue with domains in the earlier days), but now, if you report to Nominet, they will contact the owner, and failing that, they will just suspend the domain until the natural expiry/cancellation date. The owner will not be able to renew it until the ownership is validated.

Slightly off topic. There are thousands of orphan .com's repeatedly renewed by Registrars, where Registrants have dissolved or lost touch. A senior figure at one large Registrar has said that they will be releasing these domains soon, but no clear pricing as yet. I have mentioned the long running pursuit of a domain in previous posts.

Slightly off topic. There are thousands of orphan .com's repeatedly renewed by Registrars, where Registrants have dissolved or lost touch. A senior figure at one large Registrar has said that they will be releasing these domains soon, but no clear pricing as yet. I have mentioned the long running pursuit of a domain in previous posts.

Some registrars transfer them to themselves under their favourable-to-registrars Terms and Conditions.

favourable-to-registrars Terms and Conditions.

I love this, its like the betterforme inclusions i put in my contracts. Anytime i want to change a contract, its always because its betterforme. hahaha

I'm glad some people have made some good progress with liquidators. My last attempt were with Deloitte or whatever its called, was just wall after wall. I made a early x,xxx offer for a 1 worder, someone on here caught it in the end :/

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom