Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Drop Catching Costs

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by mobillica, May 3, 2021.

1. mobillica United Kingdom

mobillica Active Member

Hi folks, after a year of pretty much being unable to catch UK domains despite booking slots with dropcatching services I'm looking into setting up my own script. I do know its hyper competitive in the UK but I guess just want to increase my chances.

I'm only looking to catch 5-10 domains a year for SEO purposes really.

Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice or info regarding costs?

I know Nominet membership is around £400 and a DAC at £25. Also finding a server close to Nominet's rack.

There are a few scripts about (transcom) or I could develop my own.

I have a budget of around 2-3k to get something off the ground.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. webber

webber Active Member

To get started it would probably be best to use a hosted DAC service. See:
    hostedchasing.com by @sigh
    dropcatcher.co.uk/dc-plus by @DropCatcher-co-uk
    caught.co.uk/dac.php by @aquanuke
    domaincatch.co.uk
    @untagged used to offer this too
    These guys have spend years optimising their code and server setup.

When I was looking at buying someone's compiled code a couple of years back, the costs were in the high £xxx, but not a lot of people were selling.

To write your own code is really not that difficult, but your success rate will be dependant on how well it is optimised, how much you can reduce your latency, and your strategy. That's the difficult and time-consuming part.
    It's like Formula 1 – everyone has more or less the same car, but some teams can get slightly more power/grip/brakes/aerodynamic efficiency or have a better driver, enough to gain a few milliseconds.

If you only want to catch a few domains a year I don't think it would be worth it for you.
    Like you said, this is a highly competitive industry and your success rate is going to be inevitably low.
    Of course, once you are a registrar and member and are set up to catch domains you might as well go for other high value domains too, but that takes time to research.

And a small correction on Nominet fees:
    £400 + vat joining fee
    £100 + vat annual subscription
    £25 + vat annual DAC fee
    But if you own more than 100 .uk domains than the annual Nominet fees will be worth the savings over any other registrar pricing.

Before you jump on becoming a Nominet member just to dropcatch domains, make sure you try all these:
    autobackorder.com
    catchdrop.uk
    catchtiger.com
    caught.co.uk
    pfukcatching.co.uk
    docky.ly
    domainjunky.co.uk
    domaintree.co.uk
    dropcatcher.co.uk
    hexonet.net
    ukbackorder.com
    wizedrop.com

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  4. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

Also, be aware before investing too much that there is a possibility that the whole governance/membership structure of Nominet may be altered in the coming year. In the advertisement for the new Chair, they flag up 'governance change' as one of the issues they seem to be prioritising.

One possibility is that access to names will no longer be connected with Nominet membership. Membership will be one thing (and I wouldn't be surprised if membership costs are changed). Right to access names wholesale may be another thing that can be purchased, without actually being a Member. Where DAC comes in all this would be uncertain. Presumably it could be one of the routes you can buy.

Nothing has changed as things stand, but I believe there is a governance shake up on the horizon. It is also pretty likely that control of the company will be shifted in the direction of the largest customers by increasing the voting cap or removing it altogether (less likely).

Thanks to Ciprian / Webber for great overview.

5. mobillica United Kingdom

mobillica Active Member

many thanks for that useful insight folks