20i Reseller Hosting

drops after .uk launch

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Lovekraft, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member Full Member

A quick question as i have had a fairly lengthy break from the domain world so apologies if it's been asked multiple times. It may even be covered in Edwins thread from back then but i need clarity:

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/uk-domain-name-consultations/121251-how-understand-uk-release-process.html

I was wondering if drop lists and catching will still work the same after .uk launch. i.e if a .co.uk domain that was registered before the announcement date (in Octoober '13?) drops after .uk is already up and running, if that domain is then re-registered will the person who catches / registers it have automatic rights to .uk?

I'm aware that domains currently dropping will, it's those that drop after the shorter TLD launch that i'm needing clarity on.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

4. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Will the .uk be available as soon as the .co.uk drops or shortly after? In that case......

5. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Thanks, i didn't realise that catching as we know it is going to change so much, now onto what DaveP asks..

6. Lovekraft United Kingdom

If it loses it's rights automatically, i wonder if the catchers will likely be able to catch the .uk equivalent if that becomes available immediately. Do we know how soon it will become available yet?

We could potentially end up with a situation where someone catches the .co.uk and another person the .uk?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

That's the way I read it, .uk is standalone domain and can be registered independently from the .co.uk so expect to see "interesting" results from catchers. Perhaps there will be a new secondary market to combine these pairs for onward sale?

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Seems bad for everyone atm splitting up the co.uk & .uk

Can we not all just make a gentlemanly agreement that .uk will not be chased and whoever gets the .co.uk can have the .uk? :)

I know that would never happen but it's what would be best for the time being.

9. Aaron Clifford

Aaron Clifford Well-Known Member

I spoke to Nominet about this last week, they confirmed that if a .co.uk domain drops after June 10th the right to the .uk is lost and both will be available as seperate entities from the drop, obviously will have to see if they drop at the same time or not once we get past that date.

10. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

In the case of an existing .co.uk (i.e. one registered at the moment) dropping in the future and where the registrant decided to register the matching .uk, clearly the two domain names would not drop at the same time because they would both have different expiry dates. Those dates cannot be synchronised, not least because as soon as a .uk domain name is registered it is considered a separate domain name on its own and is no longer attached to the matching *.uk that originally had the related right.

In respect of any two or more *.uk (including the forthcoming .uk) domain names registered at exactly the same time dropping at exactly the same time; they will drop on the same day but as far as is publicly known *.uk domain names drop randomly during the 24 hour period on the drop day which is 92 days after expiration.

Under what basis would you think a domain name might drop at the same time as another?

The only thing that should occur at the "same time" is when a *.uk with the right to the matching .uk is deleted both that *.uk and the matching .uk should become available to register.

What we won't know is how "out of sync" the Nominet database that stores the deletion of the *.uk is with the presumed other Nominet database that "releases the lock" on the never-been-registered-before matching .uk, on a day to day basis, until after 10th June 2014.

11. Aaron Clifford

Aaron Clifford Well-Known Member

Sorry, was refering to names that drop where the .uk hasn't been registered, should of clarified.

12. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

Love it, there'll be all those on AD saying "After you Sir" and all those not here catching the lot while we discuss who's next to catch :)

13. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

They will get the domains, but we shall have the moral victory [​IMG]

14. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

Can't pay the bills with that.

15. invincible

Did you get your idea of reviving chivalry by reading Don Quixote?

Otherwise:

Prediction 1: a new country will be created for and to be run by Murray which will offer domain names to its citizens. It will be made entirely of swiss cheese and float in the Atlantic Ocean. It will be peopled by little fairies and be called fantasy land and exist entirely in Murray's head.

Prediction 2: Murray's going to cry.

:grin:

16. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Again though

Wouldn't it be better for both buyer and seller if the co.uk & .uk (for the time being) stayed together?

17. invincible

Possibly. I'm sure you are aware of many of the arguments for and against linking, both technical and political. Nominet didn't want to force anyone to have to buy two domain names instead of none and they didn't want to block out either the .co.uk or the .uk from registration if a hypathetical domain name suffixed with both was available for registration and the customer only decided to register one or the other.

Also don't forget that a relatively small number of .uk rights are being awarded to the registrants of existing domain name registrations ending in suffixes other than .co.uk.

18. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

But say now example.co.uk drops after the 10th and I get it, but someone else gets the .uk

The buyer might only buy my domain if they can get the .uk too, we might have agreed a price we both feel is fair of x,xxx, but the .uk registrant might want xx,xxx which would scupper any sale.

The ability to close a deal will be taken out of the individual sellers hands.

It's also a crap problem for the buyer having to deal with two sellers.

Just a real headache.

It may be that there becomes a clear winner between co.uk/uk down the road and it wont matter so much if they're split, but for the time being it's bad for everyone.

So in an ideal world it would be nice if every dropcatcher could agree to only go for the co.uk , but we don't live in an ideal world do we :(

19. ian

ian Well-Known Member

This is one of the big reasons why I'm unlikely to continue my very short interest in domains. I have catches booked up until the 10th, after which point I'll have to see how the .uk's drop. I'm still monitoring a monster of a domain that I know will drop in a few months time, but without the .uk, I suspect its value will be damaged considerably, though I intend on developing it.

20. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Do you think there will be a chance that the co.uk catcher can register the .uk before things are updated and it being made available for anyone?

That would be excellent.

21. invincible

Obviously still hoping that drop catching will be worthwhile into the future what with the accredited registrars being able to take over expired domain names. ;-)

Yes that could theoretically occur. What individual buyers will do will vary and the reverse of your scenario could occur with a buyer paying the lesser price for one, developing it and leaving the registrant of the other holding out for a sale that might never ever happen.

The seller could drop his price further. ;-) It's almost as of this whole thing is a conspiracy and was concocted to drive the prices in the secondary market downward. :p

Many do so already anyway because they buy more than one domain name for the same project at the same time. Buyer budget will influence.

Didn't see you shouting about it at any of the meetings that went on. Gonna come to the AGM and say your piece this Wednesday...? :p

Not everyone. Not for those that have already amassed domain name portfolios and don't drop catch (i.e. Probably not you).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI7VeIA7ZI

(from Note 3)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.