Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

flip.uk - .UK Domain Auctions and Marketplace

lazarus

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am putting out the feelers on a new free to use platform exclusively for domains and websites in the UK namespace.

Please register your interest at flip.uk

If I get enough interest, and I can see that flip is not going to be a flop :p Then I will proceed to phase 2. Feel free to ask any questions via the thread or PM.

I want the acorn community to have an active role in ideas and features that should be developed.

cropped-Flip-Logo2-1.png

Last edited:
Interest has been great over that past 12 hours. I will get round to replying to everyone that asked questions, soon.

Update. I have just received confirmation from transpact that I can integrate their platform into flip.uk

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your question.

This is what has already been done.

Branding and UI: The ethos of flip.uk is simplicity, I hope that comes over with the preview you can already see. Great detail has been given to ease of use and a clean user experience.

Functionality: The auction mechanism, User interface, User validation etc etc are up and running. This had to be done first to a degree to validate the project.
Everything that is and will be developed will sit along side Wordpress. I develop custom software for Woocommerce so this, for me is the obvious path for flip.uk

Phase 2: Coding out the marketplace, Security and trying up many loose ends plus adding many features to the platform, Integrating a self service escrow (Transpact), User Ratings and of course lots and lots of testing. The testing will probably account for the largest chunk of the project.

Hope this answers your questions
Regards

Last edited:
I only wish to say best of luck with it. I've posted before about the need for more platforms. The day when owning your own domain name is perceived as no different to owning your own car or mobile phone can't come soon enough.

It would be great if catchers could have access to an API that returns a list of requested back orders.

Awesome. I'm happy to see some fresh blood in the scene, now that UKBO is closed it feels more like a dictatorship than an open market. Good luck and best wishes!

Hi All. Just an update. Thanks to all that showed interest.

Now Phase two begins.
I have published a brief run down of features. Check out flip.uk to see them.

One very cool feature that stands out from the rest is the option to send any domain you have in the Marketplace to Auction. If the domain does not sell at Auction then you can return to Marketplace in one click. Obviously you can run an Auction independently too.

Regards

Last edited:
These questions are more general interest from my regard, rather than any kind of criticism on anything that has been touted to be implemented.

In theory this sounds like a fantastic idea, and I hope it goes and ahead and becomes a success.

Personally, I see a lot of these issues to be considered "non-issues" when a platform is a passion driven personal project. Something like Domainlore is the success it is today because of Deny's taking pride in his own project, and having a platform to sell both his own and client caught domains. When things are broken or just don't work, the finger of blame is Deny's.

Being a "community" driven project, I just wonder how conflict of interests can be avoided. Somebody needs to have the final say on certain decisions, but why would that person be given the final say?

1. Is there to be an approval process for domains to be auctioned?
  2. If so, being a community driven platform, how would this work?
  3. If not, how will domain quality be maintained, ensuring buyers are not deterred from using the site?
  4. How will things like shill-bidding be prevented?
  5. Where is the initial enticement for sellers of reasonable/higher quality domains to use this platform over something more recognised (and arguably valued) within the existing domain community?
  6. Who will be developing the platform? Is it to be an open source project?
  7. Could a bounty process be implemented, that if a feature request is submitted a developer could pick it up and implement to claim that bounty to earn £££?
  8. Being a community driven platform, who will be managing the "project" and its long-term direction?
  9. Being a community driven platform, where will costs be recovered for hosting, marketing, 3rd party services (emails, notifications, payment processing and handling, etc).
  10. How will mediations of incomplete sales be handled?
  11. What would be the repercussions of failing to transfer domain/funds of a finished auction?
  12. What would be their motivation to see it succeed and to maintain forward motion in development/improvement?
  13. Given that an alternative auction marketplace was developed but heavily criticised from many members of this forum, who will be able to maintain motivation to continue developing the platform once people start bitching and moaning about implementation, or how slow features are being added?
  14. Who approves new feature functionality?
  15. Who is peer-reviewing code implementation to make sure no back-doors or hidden unfair advantages aren't slipped into the codebase?

Hi Seemly, Thanks for the questions.

Let me try and define the "Community driven" part...
Flip will be open to the public to have a say on new platform features and existing features and functionality. This will be done in the way of a feature / change request and voting system. This will come later after the platform comes into existence.

Flip will always be a free to use platform and open to all, however there has been initial costs, and there will be future outgoings. Flip will rely on any optional donations that any user wants to give.

1) 2) 3) Yes, Auctions will be approved. Or rather a check on validity and quality. At this point I will check if the domain is of "obvious" high quality, it will be entered into a Premium section. Any standard domain will go into the Standard section. Once a bid is placed on a standard domain then it enters the Premium section. If a domain is entered into the standard section then the public will decide if it should be elevated by bidding on it. Again this is all up for change if a majority votes for another mechanism of deciding on premium and standard. This process has to be done by a human for obvious reasons (See Estibot) there is no reason why this process cannot undertaken by multiple people to improve consistency. Alternative processes for domain quality can be looked at.

4) Several methods of detection will be used to counter this. The algo for detection will be developed for this.

5) Its a suck it and see. If people use it then great, If not then the community has spoken. I had fun while in lock down :)

6) 7) I will be the sole developer but I am open to individuals that have the coding skills to help with the project. Flip is built on a long standing UK based 3rd party platform, But very heavily modified in such a way that core files stay intact to allow for future updates etc. This is licensed to flip so the source is not released to the public. I made the decision to come away from a wordpress / woocommerce solution as it just didn't have the core set of features that I needed. It was going to take a lot longer to add them in. The software I am using now was expensive but I must say the functionality is fantastic even before any modifications.

8) I will be overseeing the project but driven by the voting system.

9) 10) 11) Flip is just a dating agency for domain buyers and sellers. If the buyer or seller wants to use Escrow then this process is via Transpact. Transpact covers the processing of funds and can cover mediation if needed.

12) 13) 14) The alternatives are great but not free to use. Dan charges 9% for a matchmaker / escrow fee for example and no auction functionality. Not to worried about people moaning etc. As long as it is constructive it can be added to the feature voting system.

15) At the moment all code is written and overseen by myself with security always in mind. Best practices are used. Any security updates (server or platform) will be applied as soon as they are released.

All the best :)

Last edited:
Nice one. Thanks for the responses. All the best with the venture!

I hope it proves successful.

Cool idea, but I think you're alienating half (or potentially a lot more) of your audience with the seemingly intentional belittling of .co.uk. I think recent sales like free.co.uk (where the .uk was rejected) show the world still sees .co.uk as king, regardless of what anyone in our little bubble thinks. At least give them level pegging until you're sure the tide has changed. Just my humble opinion.

How is he belittling .co.uk? even your signature says "Public dropcatching for UK domains (.co.uk, .uk, .org.uk, .me.uk)" and "Premium UK domains for sale"!

Cool idea, but I think you're alienating half (or potentially a lot more) of your audience with the seemingly intentional belittling of .co.uk. I think recent sales like free.co.uk (where the .uk was rejected) show the world still sees .co.uk as king, regardless of what anyone in our little bubble thinks. At least give them level pegging until you're sure the tide has changed. Just my humble opinion.

Hiya, Flip.uk is open to the whole UK namespace including all of its subdomains (.co.uk / .org.uk / .me.uk etc) not just the top level (.uk) extension.

Last edited:
Hiya, Flip.uk is open to the whole UK namespace including all of its subdomains (.co.uk / .org.uk / .me.uk etc) not just the top level (.uk) extension. If it ends in .uk it's all good.

You lump .co.uk in with .org.uk, after calling it a "subdomain" of .uk (technically correct at least, I guess). I wouldn't be listing a .co.uk for sale / auction on a site that used that kind of wording, it's nuts.

Hiya Timter. No, my intention is not to belittle .co.uk in any shape or form. Sorry that my choice of wording made it come across that way to you. .co.uk is an equally important extension, more so at the present time. I am clearing up any confusion.

Cheers Laz

Last edited:
Hi Laz,

Why free ? I can see to get it going, but I don't think anyone has a problem paying for a decent platform as long as its totally transparent in terms of costing. Surely the free bit starts to become a burden as user base increases if you do a good job and actually get a load of customers.

How is it going to work long term if its a burden on your time and you get nothing back ?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom