20i Domains

Free.co.uk SOLD $205,000 by DomainBooth.com

Discussion in 'Domain Name News' started by Jag Singh, Mar 12, 2020.

1. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member Full Member

I can confirm 100% the seller 'Anthony' did offer James the .uk - Anthony is a solid, genuine domain pro and would never not have disclosed it. Hope that helps.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

No, because seller responded within this thread.

4. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

My opinion is based on more real-life situations and understanding the sales, rather than looking at a list and jumping to conclusions on what that means.

Shopping.uk is an outlier in that list. The owner did a post on Acorn somewhere explaining. Essentially, it was a bolt-on for an already successful business but the value in the domain for them was mainly indirect value. They had suppliers who didn't take them seriously and they hoped the domain would show they're serious. The domain wouldn't likely be as valuable to other people on it's own without the .co.uk, as other people wouldn't be in that situation... it just aligned to their needs.

Gay.uk - That domain never actually sold. It got bid up to that price and the person didn't purchase, so it shouldn't be on the list.

Every domain listed under that is not a significant sum of money and there's only like 1 of them developed, all the rest are speculative buyers like I've said before or companies grabbing domains for brand/industry protection.

6. Hay

Hay Active Member Exclusive Member

I honestly believe its going to takes years (5, maybe even 10) before .UK is considered a first choice for end users because the general public is just too familiar with .co.uk, i happened to speak to someone this week outside of domaining who had bought a .UK from someone like godaddy.. so i asked what made him buy the .uk... his response was... "The .co.uk was taken and the .UK was cheaper than any of the others" so maybe this will be a slow process and the general public will start to walk towards the .UK based on most .co.uk's being taken, however, i expect that to take a considerable amount of time.

Furthermore, from an investment stand point its the perfect "Buyers" market at the moment due to no competition and very little spending so outside of being willing to sit on a .uk domain for the foreseeable future and strictly for investment purposes then i see no .UK sales making the headlines anytime soon unless you get the odd "Big Brand" buying one for future use but given the current financial situation world wide i think that is a long shot too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Hay

Hay Active Member Exclusive Member

9. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

contact@godaddy.uk
    host smtp.secureserver.net [72.167.238.29]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<contact@godaddy.uk>:
    550 5.1.1 <contact@godaddy.uk> Recipient not found. "

Sums up .uk right now ;)

10. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Ahh, there we go. By only quoting the first 2 words of your response we get a huge amount of context.
    I apologise. I assumed that your aggressive responses were due to facts rather than opinion. Silly me.

You "understanding sales" doesn't define an objects value. The objects value was defined through purchase. Whether the domains are developed or not also does not diminish their defined value. It might restrict their potential, but we all know potential is a fallacy in this industry anyway.

gay.uk was reported as a sale at the time, hence why it exists in the records. Filtering sales by status "Complete" removes the domain from the results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

I've not responded aggressively once in the thread. Nothing to get aggressive about. Was just voicing that no company has invested lots of money into a .UK domain and the one that has (shopping.uk) did it is a bit of a outlier situation.

Understanding the reason of a sale does affect how valuable a domain is and affect its true worth. I'm not going to argue on that point. We will have to agree to disagree.

I only just noticed that you own Seemly, so me pointing out that Gay.uk shouldn't be listed wasn't a direct calling out of your website/directed at you. Maybe that's why you thought I was being agressive, I'm not sure.. but it was just a point. I saw you mention domains sold and the link showed a 20k domain that hasn't actually sold.

I wasn't to know the results shown showed inaccurate data, related to what we were talking about anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

If someone wants a domain they buy it, we can pontificate till the cows come home. There is so much money sloshing around that nothing should shock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Retired Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

I’m not the buyer...

I did notice though that at least one of the .uk domains I did buy (film.uk for £7800) doesn’t appear on the top 10 list.

15. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

It's listed at £6,800 from its domainlore sale:

https://domainlore.uk/film.uk

Did you buy it subsequently for £7,800?

16. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

Ah, £6800? I think I was just remembering it wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  17. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

That's you £1,000 better off. ;)

18. dog

dog Active Member

Will be interesting to see what they do with the domain.

19. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Not hard to find out - visit free.co.uk :)

"A more simple approach to selling and buying your home, launching August 2020."

20. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member Full Member

I'm guessing FREE.CO.UK is now 'Rayhan Rafiq-Omar' new brainchild after he left the previous company he founded 'Unmortgage' summer last year...

You can have a little read about it here > https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/07/unmortgage-ceo-departs/

-BG

21. dog

dog Active Member

I saw that but we don't know how the service will work. :)