Good UK Hosting Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Services Wanted' started by markb, May 18, 2017.

1. markb United Kingdom

markb Active Member

Hi All, Im looking for anyone who can recommend a really good uk hosting company to host about 15 websites (custom PHP and MYSQL). They will be newish startups so not that much traffic at the moment, most popular one gets around 2 million monthly page views

I'm looking for Linux hosting,

- unlimited WHM/Cpanel (i'll be hosting quite a few separate websites and want separate cpanel accounts for each website) - So possibly a reseller account or similar, although all websites will be for myself.
    - unlimited SSD Hard Drive space (or greater than 500GB)
    - MYSQL with access to phpmyadmin (not limited to 1GB MYSQL databases like some I have found)

I dont want to pay any more that £125 per month at present.

I've seen a company called Krystal, is this any good?

Mark

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. timter51 United Kingdom

timter51 Active Member Exclusive Member

I've tried many UK hosts, and always come back to TSOHost - https://www.tsohost.com/

You might struggle to get that unlimited / 500GB+ space for £125 per month, but I'd at least get in touch to see if that can do a custom VPS package for you.

4. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

That could be a tough ask for those resources, managed and in your budget. You could look down the un-managed dedi and hiring someone to manage it. A reasonable dedi + cpanel licence + other setup costs ( depending on your backup solution, DNS and email requirements ) might get you close to your budget, but not even sure if even doing that way it would be that cheap.

5. mtalk India

mtalk Active Member

I personally prefer a managed hosting solution, its always good to handle management and server at one location.I have seen issue resolving is faster in this case.

6. markb United Kingdom

markb Active Member

Thanks everyone, I ended up going with a managed cloud vps with 16 cores, 8gb memory and 250gb ssd from layershift. It cost just over £150 month so it seems like a good deal. Have the option to upgrade hard drive size when needed.

7. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

We're having more issues with Vidahost (also branded TSOHost, part of Paragon, and now part of HEG).

Previously we were with Rackspace until they decided to change their pricing model to force customers towards their cloud offering by making managed servers crazily expensive.

The Vidahost support is particularly poor these days - slow to respond, error prone, evasive, etc. We're not the only ones seeing it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives? (proper dedicated hardware, not cloud or virtualised)

8. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Do you want managed or unmanaged? I have been in the hosting industry for 17ish years (that's how I started) so could manage a server for you if necessary. I've been offering shared hosting for a while but if you want dedicated I'd go with (UK) ukservers.com or (Europe) providerservice.com. I've had multiple servers with providerservice for years now and never had any problems with outages. Can't tell you much about ukservers - only been using them about a year - but not had any problems there yet.

9. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

I see you have already found suitable hosting for your needs but just thought I'd put a thumbs up to www.bpweb.net

been using them for about 10 years now i think, never had any issues, support requests for additional features or script help is outstanding. Their website might look a little outdated now but service/price/speed is top drawer.

Was with Tsohost but their servers were slow. Still they were huge improvement on SlowHosts, sorry I mean FastHosts!

10. Adam H

Didnt see that coming :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  11. ian

ian Well-Known Member

haha, hasn't he been warned about a million times already?!?! :D

12. Adam H

lol dunno, if there is hosting to talk about.......he's always there recommending the company he's associated with :D. looks like admin dealt with it. I will remove the link from my quote lol

Wouldnt be so bad if he contributed to other threads and made it less obvious :D

13. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be so bad if he recommended a decent outfit either! :)

14. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Now part of GoDaddy :p

I'm not sure I wanna know how bad it is now, the last client I worked with who had RackSpace were paying 10k a year for a dedicated managed server for video streaming. That was about 6-7 yrs ago.

An Identical server with EvoHosting were half the price, no idea who they are with now :/

Do I want to know how bad they are now ?

15. Admin Andorra

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yep, hes one post away from a ban.

16. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

I would recommend jolt.co.uk

I have been with them for a few years with a few servers after trying lots of others like Krystal with lots of down we wanted to move since moving i havent had any issues.

Great service and 24/7 support team

17. timter51 United Kingdom

timter51 Active Member Exclusive Member

TSOHost going down the pan fast :( Should have seen it coming... I need to shift a lot of sites to a new host. @Admin how are you finding 20i hosting?

18. ptal

ptal Active Member

19. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

We still use www.jolt.co.uk and have a few dedicated servers with no issues and amazing support

20. Admin Andorra

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Still rate them the best host I've ever used. Considering the price is no more than I paid with hostgator, clook, eukhost etc its incredible. Support is from skilled UK guys and near instantaneous. They actually 'do' fixes for you. Love the migration tool. One click free SSL, 100% SSD hosting etc etc.

21. wonder_lander France

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

I've just switch alittlebitofstone.com over from TSOHOST to 20i. Dropped 10secs off the homepage load times!

Got a lot more to move over now!

• Winner Winner x 1