Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How do I submit nameservers to .com registry?

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by alex, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex

alex Active Member

I've been told by Heart internet that to use a .com domain on my VPS with my own nameservers I have to "submit the nameservers to the .com registry". They can do it for me for £50 + VAT... does anyone know how I can do it myself?

Cheers,

Alex

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

4. alex

alex Active Member

To be honest not sure. I have my own nameservers, ns1.hyperlink.co.uk and ns2.hyperlink.co.uk. I've been able to set up sites with .co.uk domains on my VPS no problem by setting the nameservers. However, when I tried to do it with a .com, i.e. set the nameservers as ns1.hyperlink.co.uk and ns2.hyperlink.co.uk nothing happened and Heart have said I need to submit the nameservers to the .com registry. As you can probably tell I'm new to server management having used a simple shared hosting package for 5 years :p

5. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

Well I'm not 100% on this - I think Skinner knows more about it than I do...

If you run a nameserver lookup on your nameserver, it returns the following.

DNS server handling your query: localhost
    DNS server's address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    ns1.hyperlink.co.uk nameserver = ns2.mainnameserver.com.
    ns1.hyperlink.co.uk nameserver = ns1.mainnameserver.com.

Which means heart are actually the upstream nameserver.

If you run a check on ns1.mainnameserver.com it returns the following.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
    mainnameserver.com
    origin = ns.mainnameserver.com
    mail addr = hostmaster.mainnameserver.com
    serial = 2013020465
    refresh = 86400
    retry = 604800
    expire = 2419200
    minimum = 10800

which is the glue record (I think).

It looks like heart don't actually setup nameservers correctly unless you pay £50.

6. alex

alex Active Member

Thanks for your help on this. Having spoken to support again they've said that it is the glue records and that I need to submit them to the registry, or pay for them to do it. It seems a bit dodgy to me. With not wanting to pay, do you, or anyone, know how I actually submit the glue record to the registry?

7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I've not used a registrar control panel that doesn't let you submit the "glue DNS" records. You can't make the submission directly to the registry, it has to be done through your provider like any other zone change otherwise there would be chaos.

Time for a change or registrar?

8. alex

alex Active Member

To be honest it probably doesn't help that I don't have a clue :p

I'm running WHM, is this something I should be able to do in there? I really can't believe how complicated this process it. All I wanted to do was register a .com with heart and set the nameservers so I could build a site on my own VPS. I may just build it on my old shared hosting with 1and1, will probably be easier. The VPS works fine for .uk domains.

9. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

It is usually free.

Heart offer a average monthly price for reseller hosting but charge lots for extras (I still can't believe that if you want a mailbox over 400Mb on reseller hosting - you have to pay extra).

This is from their support database

For non-UK domain such as .com, you would need to contact customer services for details on registering the nameservers as it involves creating Glue records.

Everywhere else: Free

Heart: £50

10. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

BTW - I think you can create glue records from the automaton and the DAC.

You can't from web domain manager though..

It might be worth giving them a buzz about it.

11. alex

alex Active Member

Thanks for your comments and PMs. Heart Internet have told me that they have made the necessary changes so hopefully there won't be any more issues. If it still doesn't work I'll be back in 24-48 hours :p

I must admit my experience with Heart Internet has so far been very good. I guess the issues arise when I'm not sure what I'm doing and find that what I need costs extra.

12. DaveLeeds United Kingdom

DaveLeeds Well-Known Member

Hi Alex, maybe I haven't got the full grasp of your problem but couldn't you have just set up a domain reference from your main HI cp?

13. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

The problem is that the .com registry needs to be told that his two .co.uk NS records are glued to corresponding IP addresses. One generally has to do this for every registry that one is trying to host domain names of when using ones own custom name servers and when the NS records exist in a different registry. As he's probably running bind or other similar software within his WHM control panel managed VPS, rather than using hosted name servers operates by others, he will need to inform the various registries of the existence of his name servers by creating various glue records. If he changes the IP addresses of his name servers in the future the glue records at every registry will need to be updated with the new IP addresses. Personally I feel it is easier to use a .com or .net for NS's if you want to host domain names from all sorts of registries because it is likely that most registries will be configured to allow glue records from both of those. I don't run name servers on other extensions.

(from iPhone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.