Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How should i reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recieved this email back:
I have notified Nominet, that we did not receive any renewal
notices, since we owned the domain from inception in 1998 and we
will be issuing a High Court Action to recover the domain with
costs.
I suggest you transfer it back to us for a nominalsum of £10
otherwise you will incur massive costs.
What do you think i should do?

In my very humble opinion if all you have done is register a domain name on a first come first served basis then and not used it an a dubious way then I cannot see what you have done wrong?

Failiure to renew / recieve notices are Nominet's / the old registrants issue not yours.

Tricky one.

I'd ask for this to be moved to a non-spiderable forum category first ;)

I'd then write back to them, and advise them to take this up with Nominet, as you are an innocent party.

Sounds like the guy is trying it on, who in their right mind would issue high court proceedings over £150?. I think he is just making a play for you to transfer the name to him.

When all is said and done you have done nothing wrong, he failed to renew the name.

I would tell him to F**K OFF, but ultimately the decision is yours :).

Yep, not your problem. If they genuinely didn't receive renewal notices etc, then they need to take it up with Nominet.

Nominet may potentially force you to hand over the name if they were at fault, but you shouldn't incur any costs. Even if you did, you'd be within your rights to claim them back from Nominet imo.

My gut instinct would be either to give up the name, or jack up the price. The middle ground of a potential drawn out slanging match for just 150 quid sounds like a lose-lose situation...

lets all buy the name off eachother, keep it a week then sell it on the the next person....that should confuse the hell out of them..different owner details every week:p

apart from that i too would tell them where to go!!

Given the high cost of them taking you to court over 150 and you being totally innocent with the only parties at fault being
1, nom for not sending notices.

2, them for not having correct contact details and not noticing their website / email being down for 3 months.
or

3, their registrar for not carrying out instructions making all 3 of them liable.

i'd get my fabled short barrelled mini gun out again. :)

As there is no trademark for the domain they don't have a leg to stand on!
No one actually "owns" domains, they are leased...... It is their responsibility to re-new the lease when it is due.
As they did not do this they broke their contract and the domain was made available for other's (yourself) to lease.

You are not responsible for their failure to renew thier contract with Nominet....Period!

It would be foolish of them to initiate high court proceedings over 150 pounds, especially when there is a very, very good chance that they would lose and end up paying your costs as well as their own. IMO this is a bluff by them trying to get the domain for peanuts.

I would reply

My time costs and my time is being used reading your hardball emails, as such the price has now risen to £450 to recoup my costs. Further emails will mean further costs.

I've told my cat about you and I can tell by the way he is scratching the furniture that he thinks you're not a very nice man.

I would point out that their argument is with their registrar and Nominet, and not with you, and thank them for their valuation of the domain. If they are prepared to go to court, the name must be worth over £600 to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom