20i Reseller Hosting

How to watch Google indexing .uk sites

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Edwin, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

If you use the following query in Google, you should see (pretty much) ONLY .uk sites returned in the results, without any results from any other UK namespace extension...

You need to copy the whole of this query into the search box exactly as-is for the search to work.

site:.uk -site:.co.uk -site:.org.uk -site:.ac.uk -site:.gov.uk -site:.ltd.uk -site:.plc.uk -site:.me.uk -site:.net.uk -site:.nhs.uk -site:.police.uk -site:mod.uk -site:.sch.uk -site:.parliament.uk

As of right now, there are only a handful of sites indexed, but the fact that there are any at all is pretty good going and a testament to how quickly Google spiders and indexes material. You should see the numbers rise and rise and rise over the coming days and weeks.

BONUS: if you paste the above query into a Google Alert, I would expect that you can be sent what is effectively a daily list of newly indexed .uk sites :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

Cool! thanks for this.

4. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Quite a few more now, well done Edwin, decent search method.

5. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Fascinating to see the random sites being added to the index, thanks for that Edwin!

6. Retired_Member42

Retired_Member42 Retired Member

7. Edwin

Actually the British Library has been on BL.uk for many, many years. It's a very early pre-Nom that was grandfathered to them through a special deal they made with Nominet back in the "early days".

8. Retired_Member42

Retired_Member42 Retired Member

Ah right, I didn't know that. I did try a bunch of them using snippets from the cached sites homepages to see if I could find a natural listing for a .uk domain but most of the ranking sites still show their old .co.uk despite the sites also being cached on the .uk version. I guess it'll take a day or two to update. Hopefully no issues arise as a result in terms of rankings...

9. Edwin

36 results late last night. 42 this morning. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless...

10. Edwin

48 now. I'm not going to keep posting updates every couple of hours, don't worry. Just wanted to make the point that progress is slow, but constant.

11. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Interesting to see some of them using the UK as a landing page or secondary website to their main .co.uk , that was exactly what i was considering with some of mine.

Domination of Serps from UK branded search terms

12. Edwin

It's been another 2 weeks, and Google claims to have indexed 174,000,000 pages specifically under .uk domains. Looks pretty healthy, and a nice improvement on 48!

13. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

296 million .co.uk v 174 million .uk?

Thanks.

When I used search term "site:.co.uk" in Google for .co.uk with no other exclusion as a benchmark.

Result was a surprising "About 296,000,000 results", have I missed something?

14. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

New numbers

Just done .uk search (with your helpful search term at the start of the thread) again and excluded -site:bl.uk (British Library)

Result for .uk was ;

About 3,540,000 results ​

For control purposes, I did Google search on .co.uk with "site: .co.uk"

Result for .co.uk was ;

About 1,120,000,000 results ​

Which is more what I would expect, than the results earlier today, on earlier posts, showing .uk was over 50% of .co.uk volume of indexed pages!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.