20i Reseller Hosting

Kinda back...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by woopwoop, May 20, 2018.

1. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I've not posted regularly for a while but lurk every now and again. After seeing a few old timers post I thought I would too.

I might not be a regular poster in future but I'm interested to read where the UK domain market is and what will happen next year (I believe) when the 5 year grace period/right of .uk registration for .co.uk owners expires!

In the past I probably had 500+ UK domains, now down to <50, although I'm still a Nominet member/TAG holder - not really as worthwhile as it once used to be, but hard to break a habit of easily managing my domains - even if I have a few handfuls!

My main splurge right now is .NYC domains which I see significant parallels to .co.uk in terms of reasons for buy in over .com etc. I think that there'll be a day when .nyc is the goto domain for many NYC businesses and residents over .com in the same way that .com was second choice after .co.uk. If any one is interested, in the market Developed.nyc is where I write about the namespace, sales and news.

Anyways I probably didn't show it enough back then but Acorn was a great place when I was getting into domains years ago. I made enough money to avoid a proper job and was able to travel. It's sad because I never showed that I appreciated the community as much as I should have - I learned so much from many of you and completed so many great deals both as a buyer and a seller here.

If I can help anyone with anything - please shoot me a message - would love to give back a little more where I can this time.

Best,

Matt

p.s. I still have a few .co.uk sites that bring in a little income but I'm trying to cut back a little. If anyone is interested in a UK geo, I have the following that I'm thinking about selling again:
    • morecambe.co.uk
    • morecambe.uk
    • @morecambe twitter handle
    • Website content
    • Also some nearby geos, garstang.co.uk and garstang.uk
    I turned down a £5k offer on these from an acorn member a few years ago for the Morecambe domains without the Twitter account so would be expecting more if I'm to sell.
    When I bought the domain and website it cost me about £3,000 (10 years ago) and the revenue, although dwindling, did pay that back the £3k a few times over (adsense and link sales). Anyways get in touch if interested.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Might want to hold on to Morecambe for now; Eden Project owners are waiting on the green light to build the same eco tourist attraction for the north; it may re-energise an otherwise dead seaside town.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

Send me a PM with traffic and revenue details. I'm interested in morecambe.co.uk

5. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

Trying to PM you directly but your inbox is full.

6. woopwoop United States

Thanks for the info Ian.

There has been a lot of development in Morecambe over the last decade I always expect the profile to be improved when I make it back. It's never gotten the bounce it needs. I have fond memories there and Lancaster.

7. woopwoop United States

Sorry about that Trauiner - please email me at matt@signal.nyc

8. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

I've sent you an email.

9. Aaron Clifford

Aaron Clifford Well-Known Member

Welcome back Matt! Hope you're well.

10. inteldigital

inteldigital Active Member

Whey, somewhere close to home. Morecambe is across the bay for me, I'm situated in South Lakes

11. woopwoop United States

Thanks Aaron, hope things are going well for you too.

Miss the Lakes. I grew up in Lancaster, lived in Morecambe for a few years then moved on (London/NY). Miss the place and people a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. inteldigital

inteldigital Active Member

Aye it's a lovely place, I want to go further in and move up to Lakeside or Grasmere or somewhere. Couldn't ask for a better place to be!

13. Admin Spain

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome back. I think the 5 year grace period expiration next year will be fascinating and a big year for the .UK namespace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. woopwoop United States

Yep, maybe it'll reinvigorate the UK aftermarket. There'll probably be a domainer opportunity to grab .uk domains - something I suspect isn't talked about a lot in anticipation of a feeding frenzy next year!

What's usage of .uk like? Are there sites using and spending ad money promoting .uk domain names (or still just .co.uks)? I don't think I've seen any .uks in action.

15. ian

ian Well-Known Member

There are a few, but nothing of note. Most seasoned domainers seem to have turned their back on it. I've kept hold just in case.

16. woopwoop United States

If anyone's interested I wrote an article about my experience investing in .NYC domains for 4 years.
    Includes some thoughts on new TLDs, and shows sales info and portfolio costs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

18. figleaf007 United Kingdom

figleaf007 Active Member Exclusive Member

Be great to hear how you managed to avoid a proper job and where your income came from. Don't have to reveal the big secrets but be great to hear some inspirational stories...

19. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

...and a massive boost for the DRS coffers...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. woopwoop United States

No problem - thanks for reading!

Lol - I have a proper job! Have had one for years. (I tried a long time to avoid one.)

Back then I lived cheaply and flipping domains, building sites and selling links/articles paid the bills.