Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mars landing ... happening now - Thursday 18th Feb 19:30

Thats a good video . Super position is also the basis for quantum computers i think. So all states exist at once. Have you ever looked at quatnum entanglement ? So essentially you can have two particles that are linked and seperated by large distances. If you change the spin direction on one, it changes the other in sympathy. Which means on some level there is something travelling faster than light.

Thats a good video . Super position is also the basis for quantum computers i think. So all states exist at once. Have you ever looked at quatnum entanglement ? So essentially you can have two particles that are linked and seperated by large distances. If you change the spin direction on one, it changes the other in sympathy. Which means on some level there is something travelling faster than light.

Hi Dee, Yes I have done a far bit of research into entanglement. It's a shame we cant use it for a form of communication :( which is what first went through my mind when I starting learning about it.

But yes it is instantaneous over any distance. Which is truly bazaar. No wonder physics breaks down when entering into the quantum world.

The standard model works well for everything big, but they are still working on the universal model to incorporate the big and the small into one single model. If some clever person does manage to solve it, it will be the biggest thing to happen in physics since Einstein.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: dee
But yes it is instantaneous over any distance. Which is truly bazaar. No wonder physics breaks down when entering into the quantum world.

Love the bizarre stuff that happens at near 0 kelvin aswell . Ground states and superfluid. Bizarro stuff

But yes it is instantaneous over any distance. Which is truly bazaar.

If you live in a 2d world and a circle passes through your world at right angles you will only see the two points where it intersects as you can't see 'up' or 'down'. You would never know it was a circle and would assume the two points are separate.
If you live in a 3d world and a higher dimensional object passes through your world you'll see the points where it intersects but not the rest of the object. They will appear to you as multiple 'distinct' particles but in actual fact are just the same. For one to influence another in *our* 3d it would have to transmit information across *our* plane where the speed of light is the maximum. However for these particles to transfer information outside of 3d they wouldn't be bound to the speed of light and would appear 'instantaneous' to us. To me this gives credence to a thought that not only are quantum entangled particles the exact same object but in fact the objects they are part of are also linked at even higher dimensions.... all the way up until you have just one object ;) Therefore everything and every vibration in quantum fields producing particles are just protrusions into our dimension of a single object. Think of the mice in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy :) That then just leads to the age old question of 'why?'

Good analogy. Its same idea as 2d man living on a crumpled piece of paper who cant see the bends in space time.

Don't they think there are possibly 13 dimensions they can hypothosise about?

There are 11 dimensions in string theory. This is pretty much a similar view of what I've outlined above but without any need for philosophical or metaphysical questions. I suppose it's the playground argument of 'why?'....'why not' lol Is string theory real? Perhaps. Is it theoretically possible that every particle is just part of a single consciousness that wants to 'experience' itself from an almost infinite amount of different views? Perhaps. I love the fact that 'Universe' means 'one song' or 'one turn'. I hate the fact that we'll never know what any of it's for or about even if we discover it exists. Sadly as I've ventured deeper into maths and physics over the years I have become more nihilistic and disillusioned. I see a lot of physicists on youtube going the same way as their videos move over time from physics, into existential crises, and then ultimately despondency. You have to laugh :) But as for the original point it is true, it's amazing how far and fast we are progressing.

Last edited:
Yes! If we existed in a 2 dimensional plane, then the 3rd dimension would indeed seem very bazaar. It seems the higher the dimension, the weirder the landscape gets whilst observing it from our 3rd dimensional plane.

There are 11 dimensions in string theory. This is pretty much a similar view of what I've outlined above but without any need for philosophical or metaphysical questions. I suppose it's the playground argument of 'why?'....'why not' lol Is string theory real? Perhaps. Is it theoretically possible that every particle is just part of a single consciousness that wants to 'experience' itself from an almost infinite amount of different views? Perhaps. I love the fact that 'Universe' means 'one song' or 'one turn'. I hate the fact that we'll never know what any of it's for or about even if we discover it exists. Sadly as I've ventured deeper into maths and physics over the years I have become more nihilistic and disillusioned. I see a lot of physicists on youtube going the same way as their videos move over time from physics, into existential crises, and then ultimately despondency. You have to laugh :) But as for the original point it is true, it's amazing how far and fast we are progressing.

Learned something new from your posts

Nihilistic

Someone who is a nihilist is a believer of nihilism which literally means "nothingism." They believe in nothing, maintaining that life has no meaning and rejecting all moral and religious values as well as political and social institutions.

OH Dear

Yeah it sucks. It means I find it very hard for life to have any meaning but am not suicidal. It's even worse *knowing* that it's a silly outlook but impossible to shift. Anyway sorry to have sidetracked the OP. Quantum physics is a double edged sword. It makes one inquisitive and examining everything and then realise that maybe you shouldn't examine everything :p Regardless our progress is fast and speeding up. I feel that we're going to see humans on Mars in my lifetime and I remember as a young man thinking that would be for my grandchildren or their children. Elon has achieved a lot in giving people a kick up the backside.

Last edited:
When I was 14 i reasoned that it's better to believe in god.
If i am wrong and nothing exists then nothing is lost.
if I am right it's a win win, a good spiritual life and perhaps
even a good place in the afterlife. To be a nihilist it seems might
be an absolute hell on earth. Mind you could then be a pleasant surprise waiting.
Is a low IQ perhaps a blessing in disguise ?

Amazing stuff:

Just found this for anyone that fancies taking a look at where it all started. Its an interview with a guy who's studied the apollo program computer system. Fascinating. It's amazing really. Long slog, but full of Gems for anyone into programming (not me) or general tech

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom