Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New Nominet drop catching flaw revealed?

Not sure how I feel about using it. Someone mentioned nominet saying that anyone exploiting it would be contravening the AUP, but perhaps if that were the case, nominet should have announced something for all to see.

complete farce, does anyone know how long it has been around for? convenient timing indeed for a certain consultation.

This is basic stuff, how can they not have this fixed already if it's been reported?

If I went to McDonalds and ordered regular fries and they gave me large fries I'd keep them :D

The difference is if Mcdonalds give you big fries by mistake it's not breaking any rules, it was just a mistake.

Last edited:
Bring back Jay Daley.

Just checked the bio of Jay Daley... Impressive.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/person/Jay Daley

We seem to have Arthur Daley running it at the moment...
article-0-1A660BD900000578-232_634x553.jpg

Last edited:
worrying to think that Nominet have been entrusted with helping provide the UK's national cyber security defence yet can't fix a simple flaw:

'Nominet was brought in by the UK Government to deliver a vital part of the National Cyber Security Centre's Active Cyber Defence programme, Protective DNS. That expertise is now being deployed around the world as governments seek to protect their networks.'

https://www.nominet.uk/cyber-security/

i reported this to Nominet weeks back, initially, you didn't need ipv6... There was a rouge server active in the cluster therefore due to a round-robin config on their LB's... all you needed to do was reconnect 4-5 times to land on the rouge server which would give you double quota.. and when you team this with TDDac you had 4 x the quota... I reported that to them and they fixed it but appear to have broken ipv6 in doing so... i also reported the IPV6 issue to them about a week or so ago so who knows why its been left in tact.
I have seen something similar in Jan/Feb
I used my quota in half a day, then my server kept trying to reset the DAC connection and after some attempts I got a fresh new quota for some reason. The IP stayed the same. Don't know what happened, I couldn't replicated.

Well, whatever happens. Hopefully it’s not economically controlled and gives us all a level playing field. Too long the U.K. namespace has been restricted to the coding competent, or those with money to invest in having something custom built. Those who understand the flaws and exploit them. It’ll be nice to see all the pretentious and conceited people get knocked down a peg or two.

God forbid hard work and talent be rewarded :p

As it should be, but not in this instance. Nominet is the governing body for UK domains. It should be easily accessible to everyone. Hard work should be rewarded, but it shouldn't give anybody a clear advantage over anybody else, It should be fair and equal for all. IMO.

If it was fair, people wouldn't have to use hard work and talent to compete. Now, as someone who has never learned to develop EPP XML or any low-level languages, I may be biased. But I feel that I speak for the majority of people and not the minority.

If it was fair, people wouldn't have to use hard work and talent to compete.

This is a equal opportunity vs equal outcome argument

Footaballers are paid so well because their talent draws thousands of people to a stadium and millions of people to watch at home

Choose 22 random people from around the country to have a football match who is going to pay to watch? you turn something of value into nothing

A lottery system for domains would be completely fair but benefit everyone and no one at the time, when the mumsnet or moneysavingexpert forum type people got wind of it you would have tens of thousands of entries for each obviously valuable domain

Your chances of getting a good domain are the same as everyone else, practically none

The .uk release system is now totally fair with no pesky barriers like talent but also now completely worthless, that is not a step forward that is just destruction of value

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom