Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet NED election time again

I think it is important that there is some representation that's outside the big players

I would agree except that the structure of the board is such that being a NED is nothing more than token position, so the most you will ever be is a minor irritation. You certainly won't shape policy.

Edwin, I think you're being hard on David. I realise he rubs people up the wrong way and tends to court controversy but we've known him long enough to know that he's the epitome of pragmatism and would never tow the line. The problem is that we're - essentially - a special interest group and a minority at that but we've always wanted the company run to our agenda which is understandable but unreasonable.

Yes, I can see the issues :)

We need a wider range of people representing all sectors of the Internet & business users to provide input to the board. Sadly it seems as though we've been in few years of only having domain registrars being represented and whilst they should have a place the wider aspects of how people are using their domains seems to be being overlooked (in my opinion).

I see both sides of the domainer position, and have customers on both sides of the fence. I am a strong believer of the first come first served policy though, but despite being on the policy team at the time, I don't think that the current system of allowing registrars to grab expiring domains supports this.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I'm exclusively a domainer candidate, but I've been hanging around you guys for long enough to understand your needs and many of you have been or are current customers of my DomainJunky catch system. I also see the requirement of the small businessman simply wanting to get a decent presence on the Internet for his new venture and have to manage their expectations over available domain names.

A "Yes man" will not serve any purpose to anyone, hopefully whoever gets the position will not be another one. I was collared about 9 years ago to join the school governing body specifically as I was not seen as another "yes man", my kids have left that school and moved on and are are now taking their GCSE and A levels and preparing to leave their next school and I'm still on that governing body still asking the difficult questions that many around the table shy away from.

You can be a 'yes man' or a 'no man'. You still have no weight or position at nominet. The job exists solely for nominet to make whatever changes they want to and, whether you agree with them or not, pass the 'news' onto domainers and field the fallout whilst nominet and the handful of registrars they are linked with sit back in their swivel chairs smoking fat cigars and laughing at you, registrants, and the rest of the registrars. It is a token position. To quote the office 'it's like making the div kid milk monitor at school'. Unless you desperately need the money for doing bugger all except being nominet's lapdog I can't see any reason why a sensible person would take the 'job'.

Edwin, I think you're being hard on David. I realise he rubs people up the wrong way and tends to court controversy but we've known him long enough to know that he's the epitome of pragmatism and would never tow the line. The problem is that we're - essentially - a special interest group and a minority at that but we've always wanted the company run to our agenda which is understandable but unreasonable.

I tend to agree. David may see things very black & white but he’s usually right - whether you like the answer or not.

All that will happen with more than one candidate running is you split the vote and end up with no one representing the secondary market.

Also once you get on the board you will find most of the decisions have been made by the executive before you even get in the boardroom (they run the company not the NEDs). You will instead be assigned to a few sub-committees eg. Governance, Remuneration, Election or Investment. If you have no NED experience you will most likely end up on the election committee etc

Most of your time will be taken up reviewing complicated HR and finance matters. You will be issued an iPad with pre-written papers to read before each meeting. You won’t even get a say on pricing because you will be conflicted.

Your only hope to get someone elected here (even in second place with a large registrar candidate elected first under STV) is for everyone here to vote the same way.

So I would still put David first (as the incumbent) and Monaghan second.

Last edited:
Excuse me... I was a milk monitor, it was a responsible job drinking the unopened bottles of milk and stacking up the crates and bottles outside the classroom at break time :)

Good because that’s all Nominet will most likely let anyone elected look after ;)

They have a very good selection of milk in the staff kitchens...Would you like skimmed, semi-skimmed or full fat sir ?

I am not swayed in my opinion, but it’s fine to differ as long as it’s done constructively, like in this thread.

In my view (and it is no more than that) David will never get sufficient votes to be re-elected, even if he does put himself up a second time. I believe (and it is no more than a belief) that enough people won’t rank him at all second time around to preclude any chance he might once have had.

We need a wider range of people representing all sectors of the Internet & business users to provide input to the board.

I'd propose or second you on the proviso that David agrees to step down first.

Alex, perhaps before putting your name forward you should ask what people on here expect a "domainer friendly" NED to achieve?

Alex, perhaps before putting your name forward you should ask what people on here expect a "domainer friendly" NED to achieve?

I would probably say "domain owner friendly" would be more accurate since it encompasses points beyond the "domainer" sphere.

I'm sure people will have plenty of other issues to throw onto the pile, but for me the key ones include:

A) An acknowledgement that Nominet is there to run the UK namespace, and no more than that (whitespace networking, IoT, etc. is beyond their remit, and funds obtained from domain registrations should not be squandered on random things). And with that, a pledge to opposite their creeping attempt at the colonisation of irrelevant business lines, and to reverse it whenever the opportunity arises.

B) A strong, firm stance on the pricing of domain registrations/renewals. These should be on a cost recovery basis. The NED should be extremely willing to shine a spotlight on any policy changes that amount to profiteering (like the recent price rise, when Nominet already had multi-millions in surplus) and to oppose them privately and if need be publicly. At the end of the day, they are responsible for protecting the interests of Nominet's customers and partners too, not merely those of Nominet itself (as opposed to an Executive Director, who bats strictly for the home team)

C) A recognition that a domain portfolio holder with 5,000 domains is at least as important a customer as - and potentially much more profitable to Nominet than - 5,000 individual end-users owning a single domain each. (Why "more profitable"? Well, in the case of the portfolio holder there's just one entity making potential demands on Nominet customer service - and they're likely to be a self-managed tagholder too and therefore more technically clued in than average. In the case of the 5,000 individual domains, Nominet has to potentially provide support A) To them; B) to their various and diverse registrars) This recognition should be reflected in policy approaches, and in the consideration given to how policy or other changes will impact large portfolio holders.

D) Relating to C), an understanding that if you extend cheap registrations/renewals to end users, the same or better deals should be available to self-managed tagholders too. You shouldn't have to flog domains to customers to benefit from Nominet's price breaks (after all, Nominet themselves get exactly the same money per domain from a customer-facing Registrar than they do from a self-managed tagholder Registrar)

E) A cast-iron pledge to oppose profiteering (also touched on in B). For instance, money diverted to the Nominet Trust (or now its successor) or other similar "suck up to government by looking good" entities is NOT a valid way of disposing of surplus funds. If there's that much surplus, CUT PRICES.

If that’s a bit TL/DR, here’s the bottom line:

Nominet was at its best when it did only what it had been tasked to do, ie run the UK namespace, and did not stray beyond that narrow remit. (Simple system, good value flat prices, no .uk spanner in the works, etc.) Every step Nominet took away from that starting position has damaged UK domain owners more and more.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above, and you’re likely to be someone who will protect the interests of the domain community in the way they should be defended.

On the other hand, if you think .uk was a good move, that the price rises (existing and/or future) are justified, and that Nominet’s quite right to pursue other diverse business lines unrelated to domains... Well, then you would make a terrible “domainer candidate”!

Even more TL/DR version: if you think Nominet’s been well managed, you’d definitely make a lousy domainer candidate, without a doubt.

If you can see the many flaws in what Nominet has been doing and are willing to fight hard to get them back onto the straight and narrow, then you might make a good candidate.

Campaigning on those policies would be setting yourself up to fail because none of it is achievable.

It would nevertheless be the right thing to do. Does that count for nothing any more?

Your response suggests that NEDs need only apply if they’re going to be pliant to Nominet’s wishes... the exact opposite of oversight!

The more an organisation misbehaves, the more it requires challenging.

Well I think it does count for nothing... that's kind of the point. How is it 'challenging' to play the charade of electing someone to a pointless position made up by people who will always do what they want to if it makes them money? Challenging would somehow be getting an investigation into any bribery, corruption, or anti trust at the highest levels that may result in decisions made contrary to the good of the registrants and most members but would benefit financially certain individuals and registrars. This is not challenging a misbehaving organisation.
Better edit to add: I have no proof of dodgy dealings, only speculation - just that this would seem the most likely scenario given the unwanted changes thrown at people over the years for no apparent benefit.

Last edited:
Nominet was at its best when it did only what it had been tasked to do, ie run the UK namespace, and did not stray beyond that narrow remit. (Simple system, good value flat prices, no .uk spanner in the works, etc.) Every step Nominet took away from that starting position has damaged UK domain owners more and more.

The problem with that is...

Nominet has already morphed in to some kind cyber security company?

If you take a look at their project 2020 graphic (now on the about page) you can see their plans:

https://www.nominet.uk/about/

Increasingly .uk names will just be the “core” (the tiny circle or cash cow) and Nominet WILL in the next five years make more money from other activities?

The price rises were actually there to fund large registrar promotions (co-marketing) just to keep .uk on the front of their websites.

Now while I’d like Nominet to return to focusing on .uk only that is not going to happen or even happening:

- Look how much they just spent on this stand at Infosec:

http://twitter.com/Nominet/status/1004381014406389760

- Nominet already have picked up a number of Government contracts:

https://www.nominet.uk/nominet-dns-resolver-service-protect-uk-government-networks/

- Nominet might be running even more Government databases:

https://digileaders.com/time-drone-registry/

So is it the case Nominet has been asked by HMG to be a self funding cyber security facility?

Someone some where has decided that Nominet was to shut the Nominet Trust and to use the extra money to invest in Cyber Security?

I’d love to know the answer to that and maybe some FOI requests are needed yet again.

Last edited:
Our nominet representative has just read this thread. lol

I'd like to see Edwin in the job regardless of whether impact can be made (which I agree it cannot).

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom