Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet NED election time again

Reaction score
Who's up for it this year? We desperately need to back someone of quality.

Who's up for it this year? We desperately need to back someone of quality.

It's a token position albeit a nice little earner for someone who's at a loose end. Anybody that tells you they can make a difference is delusional.

And somebody who doesn’t change their stripes the second they get a sniff of NED stipend.

But it’s such a thankless task, I’m not optimistic we’ll see any domainer-friendly candidates...

I’m not optimistic we’ll see any domainer-friendly candidates...

It doesn't matter if we did get a "domainer-friendly" candidate, Nominet management has consolidated its power and created a board that is nothing more than a vehicle to rubber stamp it's corporate adventures! One dissenting voice would be nothing more than a minor irritation.

It's not about getting a domainer friendly candidate for me tbh. It's about getting someone who cares: a) that Nominet is supposed to be a membership organisation and b) about the registrants, first and foremost.

Ie. someone who puts the general health and direction of the namespace first.

Rather than "cash first, major registrars second, and everyone else can go swivel."

Apply now to be "one of the boys", a "yes man", a "apple-polisher", or simply a "puppet". Plentiful bonuses, lavish luncheons and providing you "tow the line", you will be salaried £30k per annum for an intense 1 hour per month of head nodding (health care provided for repetitive neck strain).

Edwin.. go for it.

Rewind the clock a decade and I might have. As things stand, I would rather stub my toe repeatedly while bashing myself in the head with a frying pan... far less painful!

(BTW if anyone from Nominet is reading this thread, which I doubt, this illustrates how badly trust in your institution has been obliterated by a seemingly endless series of unjustified, grubby commercial moves. Customer service remains 11/10, but suitability to run the UK namespace is hovering around 1/10 and still falling.)

It's not about getting a domainer friendly candidate for me tbh. It's about getting someone who cares: a) that Nominet is supposed to be a membership organisation and b) about the registrants, first and foremost.

Ie. someone who puts the general health and direction of the namespace first.

Rather than "cash first, major registrars second, and everyone else can go swivel."

Agreed. Someone who steers Nominet back to its original purpose and staples it in place there.

Apply now to be "one of the boys", a "yes man", a "apple-polisher", or simply a "puppet". Plentiful bonuses, lavish luncheons and providing you "tow the line", you will be salaried £30k per annum for an intense 1 hour per month of head nodding (health care provided for repetitive neck strain).

Defense of the indefensible on Acorn an optional extra, but available if you get your kicks from being bloody-minded.

BTW the other reason I couldn’t even begin to contemplate the role now is that I wouldn’t be prepared to shut up and be invisible. (I’d probably break the NDA part of my contract by the end of week one because I could not help but be open about all the counterproductive stuff going on.)

If I put my hat in the ring, anyone prepared to propose & second?

Alex, I don't mean to be negative but you're wasting your time. If you want a nice easy £30k then go for it but if you're doing it because you think you can make a difference you'll quickly realise you've no chance. If you think I'm wrong, have a look at the new board structure.

I think it is important that there is some representation that's outside the big players

I think if you’re serious about running, it’s vitally important that you stake out crystal clear public positions on various domainer/UK namespace issues beforehand so there is at least some sort of “evidence trail” of your thinking prior to taking office.

We all saw the catastrophic results of the last time a supposedly domain industry-friendly individual was backed by the community he was believed to represent, only to change his spots within hours of taking his post and mutate into Nominet’s most vocal yes-man ever.

(I am not suggesting that you would do any such thing yourself, nor even hinting that you might. My post is an observation about what came to pass previously, not a comment on your character.)

But I hope that, based on what just I highlighted, you can see why a campaign of public reassurances could be a productive and positive step towards winning the necessary backers, going into the vote?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom