Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet selling sub-domains policy

I have a unique .uk asset that I believe can make this work, no other .uk domain can make this work - or very few

It would be rude not to...:)

Don't be surprised how little normal people care about domains, especially people who work in the 'real world'. Local businesses are probably some who care least. I work with local businesses and they leave me voicemails telling me their phone number is "Halifax 732 918" (I don't live anywhere near Halifax or have any idea what the dialling code is) and then give me their email as "alfred bramble 47, all one word, at ay oh ell dot com". They then want to pay with their card over the phone as they think it's safer than the 128-bit encrypted checkout. Domain names don't even register.

If not subdomains, some of the .uks may have value as vanity email addresses

Maybe something like coys.uk for Spurs fans

I have no idea of costs etc of running something like this or how many email addresses would need to be sold to make it profitable

Read few years back the domain name Chicago.com makes over $xxx,xxx per year in leasing email addresses. [email protected], [email protected] etc, some individual emails earning $xx,xxx per year.

It appears right now the domain is owned by a not for profit org and there's still a live usage guide suggesting there's email addresses still being leased. I still can't figure out how they make it work. If for example someone rents [email protected] for a year and following year someone else takes it up, then there's a risk the second person will receive the first persons emails, and the effect just multiplies the more owners in sequence take up the same email address.

I have a domain that might be good for this type of business but I don't want to get involved in any dataprotection issues.

Email addresses are not going to be part of my business model - actual websites, and hopefully a network of websites in the future - nothing new, but better than what's available now...

I don't quite get it. The sub-domain is the franchise, or the sub-domain is just the webpage for a genuine franchise?

Could you give an example?

The franchise is the rights to publish content and selling ad space - e.g.:

Giving a shop in a territory rent-free to a franchisee to sell goods and build a customer-base

Franchisee does not own the shop building or the lease for it - they simply have a licence to operate from the shop, but is not a leaseholder - they can't change the shop front + fittings or branding or anything like that

Their business is solely selling; the goodwill they create is their customer base because they could always open a shop of their own and take business there

Perhaps it's easier to think of the franchisee as almost a self-employed sales rep who has bought exclusive access to a territory

The franchisor has a greater overall benefit here if the business grows

But the franchisee has the lion's share of sales

Franchisee's biggest operating cost will be their own time and effort

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom