Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

One person catching a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...And I have to add, while the domains are nice they are certainly nothing Special imo.

I agree. Having said that, there wasn't much better that dropped during the same period, which suggests all the catchers were chasing the same names, which is why Denys success stands out anyway.

Sounds to me that there's a way to predict the drop time...

Even if you knew the drop time to the second, given that a single person can query the DAC almost 20 times a second if they choose to multiplied by however many catchers are going after these "premiums" - the chance of someone catching purely because they knew the time is slim.

The most time is lost between the check showing the domain is available and the actual registration of the domain. If I were to guess I'd say Denys has simply found a way to optimise his registration process. Knowing drop times or simply being faster than anyone else wouldn't yield more catches with so many other hats in the ring.

If you simply start mining from the surface ( any old server at a bargain location ) you will of course find the odd gem, and plenty of polished rubble.

If you have taken surveys, your mining gets more precise and your chances are improved. ( checking trace times etc )

If you INVEST your time and money in the right equipment, you will of course do much much better. Which is obviously the case here.

I do also think the fact that the previously great goscomb, very cheap hosting for a catch script, has gone down the pan a little, I know of at least 30 tags/dacs there, so there are 30 people, ok 30 tags/dacs, probably 15 people lol, who have lost competitiveness over the last month or so.

Anyone with the right funds could join certain places and do certain things, and they would be ultra competitive, and we should really celebrate someones investment paying off, rather than whinging.

I actually think the thing that causes most harm, is the networks of people who go after the other domains, these people control catching to a much higher degree.

You see them all the time selling on auction sites, and hmm half the time you see one of their partners, seems to always buy their names, to save a £5 sheesh. People ask questions on forums like these and always a denial, then a year or so later you see them publicly working together as hard faced as you like.

Back to catching, if you spend £100 a month and catch and sell on average £700 a month, you make £600 a month, not enough to live on and an investment not worthy of more.

If you spend £800 a month, you could earn £3000 a month. £2200 up.

Risk equals reward.

All these moans are a nonsense and if anything, ties the people who need to up their game down even more.

I cant afford to invest even £30 a month, so why would I think I deserve to catch any of the good ones?

This forum has become boring enough without threads like this.

Pay your £8k a year fees to become your own host and another £2k for your sever set up, you will do great.

Pay dropsystem on a monthly basis and you will do very good.

Anthing less and imo you are swimming with the multiple tag holder sharks.

You are wonderful Caz!
I have seen the light.
I have a new strategy.
I am going to up my game down!:D
Bruce

Read this half a dozen times now and makes me laugh every time.

Worth my waffle for your response Bruce haha

Even if you knew the drop time to the second, given that a single person can query the DAC almost 20 times a second if they choose to multiplied by however many catchers are going after these "premiums" - the chance of someone catching purely because they knew the time is slim.

The most time is lost between the check showing the domain is available and the actual registration of the domain. If I were to guess I'd say Denys has simply found a way to optimise his registration process. Knowing drop times or simply being faster than anyone else wouldn't yield more catches with so many other hats in the ring.

If I new the exact time to the second the name would drop I could pepper the DAC a lot more than 20 times catch my name then serve ban for going over 1000 queries a minute.

Yes, you're right. I ruled out spiking/risking blockage as I've seen Denys catch 2 on the same day 9 hours apart which ruled out the blockage and running on the 60ms / 7 hour model. I guess if he knew the minute of the drop the chances are he wouldn't hit the block. But still, is the drop time really seeded in such a way as to be crackable? From a programming perspective it would be easier to generate a completely random time within a 24 hour period than to to seed the generator with a value related to the registration.

To add to this. Nominet do say that the drop time is dependent on the amount of domains to be cancelled at the given time. Perhaps there is some correlation between the amount of drops occurring on a given day to the drop time as opposed to a random number generator seed.

Last edited:
If I new the exact time to the second the name would drop I could pepper the DAC a lot more than 20 times catch my name then serve ban for going over 1000 queries a minute.

Lol if you knew the exact or close time of a drop, you wouldn't use the dac at all.

Simply send your thousand epp create requests and bundle a load of automation create emails at the same time.

Its a 24 hour block for excessive use, so you'd knock yourself out a good share of the following day that way.

I'm pretty sure after a few days nom would be in touch too.

Simply send your thousand epp create requests and bundle a load of automation create emails at the same time.

Its a 24 hour block for excessive use, so you'd knock yourself out a good share of the following day that way.

I'm pretty sure after a few days nom would be in touch too.

lol I didn't really mean send the whole 1000, if you knew the time a few hundred would do, and S and H at nom would not give a diddly. All within the rules.

What I was really saying was...

If you go to watch a champions league football match and you are stood on the terraces with a pint and a pie, yes you may be a really good local football player, but there is a reason those players are out there and not you.

I'm all for freedom of speech, so its ok to say anything on here, but you cant expect to take on Nasa with all its resources and skill, with a hand full of fireworks or bottle of cola and a packet of mentos. ( no photos of people doing this required lol)

Bonfire night coming up, don't forget Normans fab site http://www.ghengisfireworks.com/

I like that Analogy :)

I'm all for freedom of speech, so its ok to say anything on here, but you cant expect to take on Nasa with all its resources and skill, with a hand full of fireworks or bottle of cola and a packet of mentos. ( no photos of people doing this required lol)

Before we were all more or less using a "hand full of fireworks or bottle of cola and a packet of mentos" though; some a bit more successfully than others

How has someone stepped up to NASA the last two months? because he is out there by himself pretty much..

He has done/or knows something drastically different than the rest of us.

Last edited:
There are 15 tags on my system and no data is shared between the DAC and EPP of each member. However, as I have lots of statistics to go through, time and time again I see someone catching when requests have gone in before. I also see domains going in 20ms windows so to me I don't think Denys has been doing anything different - just luck. Also I notice that there are many domains he *didn't* catch which I know he would've been chasing.

Another lll.co.uk caught... Still thinking it's just luck?

I'm hoping the 'exciting new section' is 'droptimes' or something similar...

:D

I'll give you its a little suspect but if he's found an edge, then it could explain a run.

I "thought" I found a pattern a few times and for a week or two it seems to hold, I could never get down to the minute but often down to the hour, but with 1,000s of names I could still just be "lucky".

I spoke to a Rob ^^ above not so long ago when I was 99.999% sure domains dropped at a certain point within the second and minute, I had drop logs from 100s of missed catches and a few dozen catches. His stats showed it was phewey and and just my cross section of data was too small, I only had 1-3 drops per given day, but when looking at 100s of names on a given day wasn't right.

when I started to think about it, I also realised each dac clients server would be out of synch with noms.

I'm still inclined to think he's found a faster host, tweaked his code, or even tweaked his server more.

Lets just assume the OP complained to nom, to see something fishy like Caz's example of EPP Flooding, nom would see consistently high EPPs counts per day.

Lets assume he knows the second they drop, they would notice 1000 requests blasting in 1 second while the other 100k are getting very few.

There again nom maybe that stupid they don't check any of this heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom