20i Domains

OneDirection.co.uk

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by mobo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. mobo United Kingdom

mobo Member

Been asked to get this domain valued (or sold at the right price)

OneDirection.co.uk

What's your thoughts on this?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. pberry4032 United Kingdom

pberry4032 Active Member

I would think they'd find the .com most valuable as they are a worldwide hit.

So long as it's been registered before they were formed/known then I can't see it classed as an abusive registration so long as you're careful what you put on there in the meantime.

Limited market I would guess so not sure on value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

18 months / 2 years to late really.

Put anything on it relating to the band and SOCO will probably have the lawyers on it instantly.

When their main site is onedirectionmusic, and members are leaving, I think the boat has well and truly sailed.

5. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Wouldn't touch it

6. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Very likely but the band would obviously have the ability to afford to acquire all the variants if they decided they wanted to.

You replied without checking? :-0 http://www.nominet.uk/whois/?query=Onedirection.co.uk#whois-results. Registered in January 2011. FYI the band were formed in 2010.

What specifically do you consider the OP should be careful about putting on there? I'm presuming you didn't "point" your web browser at the domain name to look what is there now? FYI it's a fan site about the band One Direction. :)

So how about not bothering to post rather than guessing and not being sure? :)

Obviously the band would be interested in acquiring the domain name if it were drawn to their attention and someone had the mindset to do something about it. In my opinion it seems likely that because the web site where the domain name resolves is clearly displaying One Direction related content and the domain name exactly matches the bands One Direction trademark, without being suffixed or prefixed with any other term such as "fan" or "123", the band would have a very good chance of succeeding in a DRS should they file one.

I haven't explored the actual web site to see how well made it is. In my opinion the two potential methods of earning something from a transaction with the band is either if they decided that they wanted to acquire the web site in addition to the domain name, or if the negative PR from just taking the domain name by filing a dispute outweighed them instead just deciding to offer a small goodwill payment as a gesture to a dedicated online fan in return for its relinquish.

I consider the registrant to have gone beyond changing the domain names use to something other than a site about the band that could be considered as legitimate. That doesn't preclude others who may be unconnected with the registrant taking an interest in acquiring the domain name to use with their own legitimate ideas. OP, good luck finding someone like that!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. pberry4032 United Kingdom

pberry4032 Active Member

You really are a complete #### aren't you?! Someone asks for thoughts on a domain name so why would I go viewing in case there is a website? Was there any need for your 'attack'?

How about you don't bother replying and go play with your little buddies in Oxford and waste more cash....

8. invincible

"I can't see it classed as an abusive registration so long as you're careful what you put on there in the meantime" - that would be one reason why you'd probably go check before commenting.

I felt there was a requirement for me to point out why I felt your post was a poor one. Do remember that AD is also an entertainment product and therefore I sometimes style my responses taking that into account.

I'm sorry if I have embarrassed you and caused you to feel like an utter fool because of your lack of research prior to your Taptalk post above. However it isn't personal. Enjoy the weekend!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. pberry4032 United Kingdom

pberry4032 Active Member

So why single me out? SpiderSpider also said something about not putting anything on their about the band. Fancy having a pop at them too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kari

Kari Retired Member

wow....

11. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a pop at people who abusively register domains.

The industry needs to be more self-policing.

12. pberry4032 United Kingdom

pberry4032 Active Member

But I haven't registered the domain.

13. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

I'm amazed at the apparent gap between the band being formed and the domain name being regged. I'm a bit shaky on my 1D history (decent enough pop songs, but i'm not the target market), but weren't they a major deal pretty much from forming and appearing on one of them talent shows?

You would have thought if not the band or management or label then some domainer at the time would have jumped on registering it soonest.

14. invincible

Registered.

It was almost certainly registered prior by someone else who didn't have the band in mind. The phrase "one direction" obviously has generic meaning too. The current registered likely acquired the domain name after it was deleted by the registry.

15. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

I see what you mean. Wayback Machine suggests it was used as far back as 2004, although what was on it then won't display on my browser.

It is, pre-band, a quite catchy phrase - could easily have branded it for anything, couriers, travel, political movement, GPS systems, etc...