Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely clients' EPP credentials should only be used for domain registrations?

A very valid point. When is a catch not a catch? When there's a catch! You've got to feel sorry for dragon, this thread is a sorry 'yee-haa' tale.

You've got to understand Matt that Denys makes it up as he goes along. ;)

For purpose of clarity, can you point of the process that is to be undertaken once a name is caught via domaincatch? Do users sign up to a set of rules, not viewable by others. On the site itself it simply states that there is a 50/50 rev split, and that names must go to auction. I assume there is a more comprehensive agreement for those actually using the service. Is there?

Some interesting comments on the blog, especially the first comment
"Good on you for deleting it and banning him, I know my pre bid of 500 would not have won it, but I had heard it would hit 25k"

1. Why make a prebid of £500 if they knew this wouldn't win it ?
2. How had they heard that it WOULD (would not could) reach £25k ? from who ?

"Surely you can have an offer like this on the table from someone and then demand half?"

This is very poor english, and doesn't really make any sense - was there already an offer for £25k somewhere then ?

This comment sounds fishy as hell, especially with this line added :

"Can I have his catch slot please lol :)"

Another "female" tag holder eh ?

This whole thing sounds very very suspicious to me.

If the comment was made by a real person who made this £500 prebid, I strongly suspect that the prebid would have been from a member on here, so who will hold their hand up and say that they were the person who made the £500 prebid ? I have a strange feeling that no-one will.........

Last edited by a moderator:
For purpose of clarity, can you point of the process that is to be undertaken once a name is caught via domaincatch? Do users sign up to a set of rules, not viewable by others. On the site itself it simply states that there is a 50/50 rev split, and that names must go to auction. I assume there is a more comprehensive agreement for those actually using the service. Is there?

DomainCatch User Agreement

I have a hard whois record of this being in Matt's name and on his TAG. How on earth could the domain be deleted? Surely clients' EPP credentials should only be used for domain registrations?

If you use a service like that I assume you have to give your nominet logon details so that the registration request comes from you (assuming they are registered to the users and not domainlore?) If you do that then theres nothing stopping the company from using your epp to do whatever they like.
I'm not sure how nominet see it but I assume when you sign up for the service you accept terms?

caveat emptor!

"1.4 This agreement can be changed by Service Provider without notice to the User."

I think that probably says it all. So when is an agreement not an agreement?

And clause 6.6 is a clear breach of Nominet's anti-collaboration DAC policy.

Pretty sorry tale...

It also says on the blog post that Matt has tried to sell it elsewhere however, he already tried to submit it to domainlore and he made this forum post to say it would be on domainlore shortly.

And clause 6.6 is a clear breach of Nominet's anti-collaboration DAC policy.

Pretty sorry tale...
Interesting also that there is a check box on the DomainCatch user's admin screen:

"Tick to enable auto-catching of domains with bids on DL"

I'm not going to get involved in any side taking here on this particular incident. All I will say is when I have caught names like that before, Denys has asked for the exact same consessions and I have been happy to go along with them.

Also I have asked for the same conseesions from Denys to evaluate a name and he has given them to me.

So I think people are being a bit hard on Denys here, whatever rules he sets for others he is more than happy to live by himself.

I think the problem GW, is that as soon as he felt that this wasn't going as smoothly as he'd have liked, he acted as judge, jury and executioner and deleted this registration too quickly. If he felt he had rights in the name, he should have issued a DRS perhaps. But instead he used his own little DRS service, the 'Denys Revocation System'.

Its an interesting point as you delegate enough control over creating contracts with nominet, so if you do that, why not the reverse?

As a end user on domainlore, I think its a fantastic service, never knew the ins and outs about how some of the better domain names end up on their

I have a hard whois record of this being in Matt's name and on his TAG. How on earth could the domain be deleted? Surely clients' EPP credentials should only be used for domain registrations?

Notwithstanding any legal action on behalf of either party to recover or share the value of the domain (which was clearly the intent of the contract), wouldn't a call to Nominet be worthwile for the OP? Nominet will see that it was registered in his name, and it should be clear from the posts here and on the blog that it was deleted without his agreement.

I'm not going to get involved in any side taking here on this particular incident. All I will say is when I have caught names like that before, Denys has asked for the exact same consessions and I have been happy to go along with them.

Also I have asked for the same conseesions from Denys to evaluate a name and he has given them to me.

So I think people are being a bit hard on Denys here, whatever rules he sets for others he is more than happy to live by himself.

I think there was a bit of panic of both sides, that there was an intention to pull a fast one. That probably led to this mess. I do feel that Denys effectively held all of the cards though because he could've easily removed the BIN, put it to auction, split it 50/50 and that would be that. Deleting it seemed like an emotional move rather than a sensible one. It has complicated matters ten fold.

Still, in deleting it nobody involved actually benefited from this, so we can at least be sure that where was no real winner out of this. Those involved shouldn't probably slowed down a bit, consulted with others on the situation (such as you) and realised that nothing particulalrly unusual was going on and that this is a standard for domaincatch auctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom