Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Please Sign & Share Folks

If she got meningitis after us knowing there is a vaccine for it id never forgive myself, knowing a number of people who have had to deal with it first hand and seeing what devastation it leaves behind its a pretty easy decision.
Exactly our thoughts Adam ! Our thoughts are why risk it.
The chances of preventing the disease far out-weigh the reasons not to have it.

If you haven't had kids, you're not even remotely qualified to offer an opinion (imo). My opinion on a debate like this before having a little one would have been significantly different to how I think now. Thoughts and priorities change.

Exactly how we feel, even IF i disagreed with the vaccinations, I would sign the petition anyway because although I may not believe in it, there is no REASON why other parents shouldnt be given the opportunity to vaccinate their child.
If everyone who didnt believe in vaccinations didnt sign, every person who DID want the vaccine to be offered free on the NHS would then have to try and find the money to pay for it.
ALL other medication is prescribed FREE by the NHS , so why NOT the vaccine for Meningitis

If she got meningitis after us knowing there is a vaccine for it id never forgive myself

On the flip side, if the vaccination causes side effects or worse, you'd feel equally as bad (obviously hope nothing happens). We are debating it at home at the moment, but will wait for the media circus to calm before making any decision, as it is quite easy to let it cloud judgement.

On the flip side, if the vaccination causes side effects or worse, you'd feel equally as bad (obviously hope nothing happens). We are debating it at home at the moment, but will wait for the media circus to calm before making any decision, as it is quite easy to let it cloud judgement.

Absolutely it would be devastating to think you potentially had something to do with anything like that, people have reactions to things differently but the risk/reward in my opinion is greatly outweighed.

I see the anti vaccine comments in this thread no better than what they are trying to fight against, its scaremongering.

Last edited:
If you haven't had kids, you're not even remotely qualified to offer an opinion (imo). My opinion on a debate like this before having a little one would have been significantly different to how I think now. Thoughts and priorities change.

Sorry mate but that's utter rubbish I don't have Kids but I know a lot more about the science of how vaccinations work and there risks. So can offer a much better opinion than the average parent at the school gates.

The facts are clear look at the numbers if your unsure speak to GP or a paediatrician.

Don't not do it because you heard some kid got autism within hours of being vaccinated as there is no hard evidence that this ever really happened

Moderately bad vaccine induced side effects of MMR
Seizures 1 - 3000 doses
Temporary low platelet count, which can cause a bleeding disorder (about 1 out of 30,000 doses)
Serious allergic reactions (less than 1 out of a million doses)
Source CDC http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm#mmr

Compare this to the side effects of measles and do the math.

1 in 5000 chance of dying from measles and a 1 in 15 chance of moderately serious complications

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Measles/Pages/Complications.aspx

You'll never be able to protect your kids from everything giving them the MMR gives them a much better chance than not its a no brainer.

Sadly more Kids will die or be seriously disabled as the result RTA's than ever will than from the side effects of vaccines or drugs they may be prescribed at a GP's surgery.
Where's the lobby group to ban cars and go back to the horse and cart.

Last edited:
Sorry mate but that's utter rubbish I don't have Kids but I know a lot more about the science of how vaccinations work and there risks. So can offer a much better opinion than the average parent at the school gates.

Apologies, I should have said parents or people with the knowledge to backup their comments (like your kind self).

Last edited:
to add a bit of cheerfulness to this thread & remain on topic
Have just found out today that we'll have to be saving up for another jab as well in the near future as I'm 6 weeks pregnant & only confirmed today

Congratulations!

I've watched this thread with interest, as we took our new twins for their first immunisations today.

Have just found out today that we'll have to be saving up for another jab as well in the near future as I'm 6 weeks pregnant & only confirmed today

Congratulations!

Don't forget to start thinking of names where the .com is still available :)

Congrats, Great news.

Don't forget to start thinking of names where the .com is still available :)

haha, I wish i had thought about that prior. After she was born I picked up a couple of shortened .co.uk versions of her name.............but still not the one I really wanted.

Huge congratulations; once was enough for us :D

If you haven't had kids, you're not even remotely qualified to offer an opinion (imo).

When has fear ever been an advantage when it comes to making decisions?

I've been reading up on it a bit since the discussion started, this is from the drug company that make the vaccine

We would like to remind people that this is a rare disease, affecting around 5 in 100,000 children annually in the 1-4 age group and the risk amongst those over the age of 5 is much less again.

I know this is going to be an unpopular thought.. but would the money spent making this available for a larger and less at risk age range save more lives if used elsewhere?

The answer may be no, but just a rational (albeit some may consider cold) thought.

No. If we can pay to keep no hopers in council houses on a zillion benefits or so that a country thousands of miles away can make a rocket we can fund this. I think if taxes are broken down there are LOTS of things people would rather not pay for before this. This 'money can be used elsewhere' argument is getting very tiresome. It usually (not saying it is in this case) equates to 'better used when I directly benefit'.

Last edited:
No. If we can pay to keep no hopers in council houses on a zillion benefits or so that a country thousands of miles away can make a rocket we can fund this. I think if taxes are broken down there are LOTS of things people would rather not pay for before this. This 'money can be used elsewhere' argument is getting very tiresome. It usually (not saying it is in this case) equates to 'better used when I directly benefit'.

I was thinking within the confines of the NHS and its budget, but yes indeed money is squandered elsewhere

My mind goes first to expensive foreign wars that haven't really made the most sense.

Thanks for the congrats guys !

and also yes the domain is still available to reg for one of our choices and another name is owned by a member on here :)

Last edited:
Just want to point out, that there are 11 contributors to this thread, and 3 have a child with autism...

Growing up and until my mid 20's, no-one I knew, knew of anyone with autism or anything that might be attributed to it now.

I'm more inclined to believe what I see going on around me, than reports produced by organisations with a vested interest.

EDIT: I'd like to say that it's impressive that this thread which could've become a flamer, has been intelligently handled by everyone!

Last edited:
There's a greater awareness and better diagnosis process in place now though.

There's a greater awareness and better diagnosis process in place now though.

A stock response but one which doesn't hold up.

Awareness - do you think parents wouldn't have noticed their child had developmental issues prior to the 90's? Or family friends; or neighbours? From our office window you can see a young woman who paces up and down their garden for hours on end come rain or shine - she is evidently on the spectrum.

Diagnosis - it is incredibly difficult for many parents to obtain a diagnosis of autism...the authorities resist for years sometimes before giving a diagnosis, if at all. The reason being, that once a diagnosis of anything is given, there are certain responsibilities that the authority needs to comply with. Therefore there are a large percentage of sufferers who are as yet not diagnosed and don't factor in official figures.

My wife is a teacher and I know that they have processes in place at their school. I would imagine it's the same in most, but I guess it depends how good the school is.

Better information about a problem doesn't necessarily mean that the problem is bigger than it used to be.

I'm in my mid 30s and when I think back to the people at my schools, there were several kids you would put on the spectrum. Back then they were just "difficult" or "badly behaved".

PS. I have sympathy for your family in relation to your son. My comments aren't intended to speak to your personal experiences or circumstances. We're all entitled to make our own decisions about this stuff.

In my opinion, the risk of having the recommended inoculations is less serious than the risk of having the diseases.

Just want to point out, that there are 11 contributors to this thread, and 3 have a child with autism...

Growing up and until my mid 20's, no-one I knew, knew of anyone with autism or anything that might be attributed to it now.

I'm more inclined to believe what I see going on around me, than reports produced by organisations with a vested interest.

EDIT: I'd like to say that it's impressive that this thread which could've become a flamer, has been intelligently handled by everyone!

Hi Mate I get you clearly believe this and are not spreading the misinformation with any malice in fact quite the opposite I guess you think it will help people.

As myself and rob have pointed out you could arbitrarily say any of the changes that have happened in society since you were a kid were cause of autism without doing the maths to prove it though it means nothing.

The math was done in the case of vaccines by numerous research groups independent of drug companies there is no link that's a fact believe it or not.

What upside is there to the government spending money prescribing vaccines that caused autism.
The point of this thread is highlighting a petition that is trying to shame the government in to spending money they don't want to spend.
If you look at it extremely coldly it would be much cheaper for them to let 100's of kids die of measles every year than to provide the support to kids diagnosed with autism.

And then look at the evil pharmaceutical companies there in competition with each other. Do you not think if Company A could prove that company B's Jab gave kids autism they would do so and then sell the government their new improved more expensive vaccine they had a patent on

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom