20i Domains

small html based local gym website

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by u1bd2005, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. u1bd2005

u1bd2005 Member

www.bearpark-fitness.co.uk

wondering if you guys could give me some feedback and pointers on this site please, just a small html coded website which I made, just for a small local volunteer run gym/fitness suite that I volunteer to help run.

only has a few pages as I wanted to keep it really simple as a lot of people who use the gym are just local people, mums, elderly people etc...

Basically to tell people our opening times and prices as well as post any news if we have any.

And comments, critique, suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

In the kindest way possible it looks terrible, looks like a template straight off of dreamweaver, very 90's.

You can make some really nice sites with wordpress nowadays, if you know some css you could edit up a free template to look pretty sleek.

4. lufc United Kingdom

lufc Active Member

5. u1bd2005

u1bd2005 Member

not even dreamweaver quality in all honesty, I coded it entirely on notepad just so we had something for times and prices, but yeh, I understand its way too basic and old looking.

It was done nearly entirely with tables, but with a bit of photoshop help I think I could get it looking a lot smoother and more upto date, I just dont like using free templates in all honesty, though might try and add a bit of css, though i'd need to refresh my knowledge in it first.

6. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Aside the truly awful design... what’s the excuse for out dated information “lands end fundraiser” over a year ago? did they do it? what was raised? Outdated info makes visitors question if anything is right times, prices etc. If it’s for the community then try and get a spirit of that link or list other things going on fetes, trips etc a bit about the benefits of using the gym, oldest, youngest member, before after etc its for a community show them it’s a friendly place? Atm it says "we can’t be arsed?” not come check us out….

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. Aegean Greece

Aegean Active Member

I'd stick with dark text on a white background, even if you do intend to keep it basic. Text should always be contrasting.

Perhaps if you need some inspiration, try going to freecsstemplates.org, those templates can be coded/changed by hand or imported into an editor. It'll make your site look better and teach you a bit more about CSS and appearance.

8. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

How a website is built shouldn't have any reflection on the design, they are two separate elements.

Why don't you look at some templates and competitors gym sites and see what you like/don't like and come up with a design from there

9. fastworld United Kingdom

fastworld Active Member

Try building one with Bootstrap by twitter.
    Easy to use, modern looking and great on mobile devices :)

10. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

I think the sites fine.

Does what it says, classic design, nice and clear - it's retro..google will gobble your site up a treat - just like it was 1998 all over again. :cool:

Most people here are jealous you can actually hand code in notepad, rather than a one-click install job..

• Like Like x 1
  11. MikeJDS

MikeJDS Active Member

I'm definately jealous of your hand coding skills. :)
    Wish I could work a site from scratch.
    If I could code I wouldn't use templates, keep going at it and improve what you have got. Something original!

It does look old fashioned though - yep 1990's.
    Because of that it immediately just gives me the impression that the content is out of date & I want to move away.

Just simple things for me though could make a difference.
    - The colours are dull and don't work together - brighten it up.
    I don't like the full width, it stretches your content out too much.
    Everything is just text linked, again the old fashioned look. (a bit more coding needed)
    These few changes alone would bring it up to date a bit.

I'm not a coder - but I'm guessing you probably have the skills to jazz it up a little.

Nice job.
    All the best
    Mike

12. retired_member29

retired_member29 Retired Member

My initial thought when i saw this website is the color scheme and fonts are not to my liking and the homepage was a little stubby. PLus's It does what it says on the tin, great clean, easy to navigate ui giving you the information you need. Maybe you could make the pale blue colour just white to suit the wider viewer.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  13. zakelijk

zakelijk New Member

Maybe you could make your background light blue, or your head text a white color, can't read it very well :)

14. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

I always think of the colour combination before starting a project, what niche your are in and the image your trying to portray. if you are building a site for a business/corporate image it should look completely different to Gym based design, I applaud you for using notepad for this...personally couldn't/wouldn't attempt it...

try looking on this site for ideas and invest in a old dreamweaver software from 2004, and have a play with it...

http://www.colourlovers.com/web/trends/websites

Mark

15. pbryd United Kingdom

pbryd Active Member

I'd move the times and prices onto the main page.

Add a map (google or bing) to the contact page.

Go back to black text on a white background.

Set the width of the site to 960px.

Try a quick clean up by remove the table borders.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  16. xblink United Kingdom

xblink Active Member

Not a very nice design , you would be better of finding a free wordpress theme i think

17. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

The member who started this topic was last on the forum on April 15th ;)

18. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Well-Known Member

Indeed - thread closed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.