Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Stocks

You can still trade shares yourself within an ISA account.

This is very important information I did not know

So looking at Freetrade I can do exactly what I'm doing now on there, just it's £3 a month - https://freetrade.io/isa and any profits I make will be tax free?

The only thing I'm not sure about, say I make 30% on a stock and want to sell and put it into something else, where does the money go when I sell? out of the ISA? or does it stay within the ISA

Put £5000 in a stock, it goes to £6500, I sell, put £6500 in another stock, does that mean I've used £11500 of my ISA allowance for example?

I'd quite like to know the answers to the above too, with regard to how multiple share dealings work with regard to tax. That's partially why I went the ISA route.

As for ISAs, there are three categories of ISA to my knowledge. A cash ISA (on which you receive say 1% interest each year or something along those lines), a Stocks and Shares ISA, and a Lifetime ISA (which has to be opened prior to a persons 40th birthday, has a 4K cap each year and is topped up with 1k from the government, but has various restrictions compared to the other ISA types) . You can invest a maximum of £20,000 across ISAs each year and if you had money in a cash ISA you can transfer this to a S&S ISA at a later date if you wish and vice versa.

The money stays in the ISA. Your annual ISA allowance covers money you put into the ISA account and returns don't affect it.
Think of it as a wrapper, whatever happens within the account is shielded from tax.

But newguy makes a good point, unless you're making gains of more than £12K in a tax year, you're within your capital gains tax allowance anyway.
Outside an ISA, profits become taxable at the point when they are 'realised' (or 'crystallized') - i.e. when you sell.

Does anyone know if i opened an ISA with free trade, would i need to do any tax declarations if im PAYE ? i.e.... woul i need to start doing tax returns myself?

Does anyone know if i opened an ISA with free trade, would i need to do any tax declarations if im PAYE ? i.e.... woul i need to start doing tax returns myself?

I'm no expert on these matters, but I would think not. The whole idea of an ISA is that it exempts you from any tax considerations in relation to it. There would be no tax and consequently I don't see that there would be any need to report anything.

I'm no expert on these matters, but I would think not. The whole idea of an ISA is that it exempts you from any tax considerations in relation to it. There would be no tax and consequently I don't see that there would be any need to report anything.

makes sense . cheers

I've changed my mind in the past month watching things

I still don't really know anything but this feels like a time for trading not investing

Going to pull back a bit and wait for the opportunity I thought was opening up but hasn't

I'd check the earnings report release dates for any stock you're looking at, some, especially airlines are probably going to miss their estimates unless they've been considerably downgraded by analysts.

I've got a list of about 10 stocks I see as long term growth stocks, but I pulled my money out at the start of February. A lot of unknowns, so I'd rather not bother!

A good book is the Intelligent Investor, if you fancy a read in the meantime.

I'd check the earnings report release dates for any stock you're looking at, some, especially airlines are probably going to miss their estimates unless they've been considerably downgraded by analysts.

I actually just sold IAG and Delta

Just going to hang on to Shell, Chevron and Exxon

Also going to hang on to Roche which are a pharma company developing corona antibody tests, no idea if that will pan out but just a fun gamble

If I was looking for something more speculative, I'd probably look for tools that might become part of everyday work at home life.

For example, ZOOM has doubled this year (although a lot of that is just video calls between family and friends I imagine). Probably be a work at home boost from now on and they'll be the "Google's" of the work at home revolution on their way up :)

The outlook for airlines is precarious, so probably even worse for aircraft manufacturers. Boeing were already in a bad position, and Airbus say they are bleeding cash.

I saw Michael O'Leary in a recent interview, talking about the millions of flight cancellation refunds that they have to process. I think Ryanair will return as a sound business, if they can tempt passengers back soon, and in sufficient numbers.

I've changed my mind in the past month watching things

I still don't really know anything but this feels like a time for trading not investing

Going to pull back a bit and wait for the opportunity I thought was opening up but hasn't

I'm not entirely sure what to do either. I figure my bookmaker shares have some mileage in them, as they're bound to get a boost as things open up, and have been doing well since of late. It's hard to know in general though whether the stock market will remain in decent shape on account that people are looking to 2021, or decline again if unemployment numbers remain high and consumer confidence is down!

If you're not sure what to do, just do nothing :) Otherwise you'll probably end up second guessing yourself and hanging onto losses or cutting short profits.

If you're not sure what to do, just do nothing :) Otherwise you'll probably end up second guessing yourself and hanging onto losses or cutting short profits.

It's a good point :). I don't want to overly meddle in the daily shifts of something that I can't really know either way for sure. More often than not taking a long term view appears to pay off rather than second guessing what's true in the short term. I may well just end up leaving things alone.

I appreciate that it may be a different situation for others if they have a certain industry or company in mind and so on. I mainly just got involved due to the drop in the stock market, and as a bit of a hobby in these locked in times!

I I mainly just got involved due to the drop in the stock market, and as a bit of a hobby in these locked in times!

Same, but with the bounce back.. it just seems odd and off

How can a company like Starbucks for instance be at the same price now as it was this time last year? how does that make any sense

Shell are still down 50% that seems much more like what should be happening

If I was looking for something more speculative, I'd probably look for tools that might become part of everyday work at home life.

For example, ZOOM has doubled this year (although a lot of that is just video calls between family and friends I imagine). Probably be a work at home boost from now on and they'll be the "Google's" of the work at home revolution on their way up :)

I first heard of Zoom because someone mentioned it in a "stocks to look out for" type video

Now I know what it is I seem to see/hear it mentioned multiple times a day; I guess I must have seen it before but zoned out because I didn't know what it was

Feel like I missed the boat with them now with such a huge price increase

Same, but with the bounce back.. it just seems odd and off

How can a company like Starbucks for instance be at the same price now as it was this time last year? how does that make any sense

Shell are still down 50% that seems much more like what should be happening

Yes some of the valuations are head scratchers. I can see why long term (say in a year or two) nothing fundamental has changed with such a business but it certainly has short term. I guess there is a battle between the two outlooks.

I did notice on on a subreddit that many people trying to second guess the days ahead via puts and calls, have come a cropper. As the saying goes the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

I eventually decided to put 4k in an Lifetime ISA at the very start of January and another 4k after 5th April (as there is a £4k limit each year).

Sorry, bit late to this thread... Who did you decide to get your LISA with?

Sorry, bit late to this thread... Who did you decide to get your LISA with?

I went with AJ Bell. I notice that a good few people recommended them, and to be honest there aren't many LISA providers anyway -> https://www.youinvest.co.uk/our-services

A LISA isn't for everyone as they're specifically for those under 40, and can only be used to either purchase your first house, or towards retirement (you can invest £4000 per year until you've 50, and access it when you're 60). You can take your money out, but you pay a penalty for doing so that's slightly more than the bonus the government put in. You probably already know all of this anyway!

I opted for it, on account that I don't have a pension, so I'm fine with depositing the money and not accessing it for an extended period of time. The government bonus is £1000 if you put £4000 in each year (the maximum), so that's a decent incentive in my view! They pay it a couple of months after you deposit the money I believe. With a Stocks and Shares LISA, they confirmed to me that I'll still receive the bonus even if I decide to sell the shares I'm currently invested in and leave the money in the account for a period of time uninvested.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom