Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Threatning Email :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paullas

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an email i received the other day. Do you think i am in trouble :)

I registered the domain name on 23-Jan-2013
It is a .co.uk

-------------------
Sir,
I wish to take my domain name, it was previously registered to myself, and it represents my own name (removed)
I am not agreeable to entering into any contract of sale to transfer the name, rather I would be grateful if you would simply surrender the domain to me.
I have taken advice and I understand I have two possible courses of action should you not agree to this request. The best outcome for both of us would be to reach an agreement and I certainly do not wish to "throw the book" at anyone, but I do want the domain name back.
"removed" domain was in the past registered to myself, at my old address. My registration lapsed as I have for several years been suffering from mental health issues and was unable to engage in the renewal process due to my illness and treatment.
The advice I have been given is that without your demonstrating any connection to the name "removed" then by default I will be entitled to have the domain back. It appears to my solicitor to be a foregone conclusion that by nature of the fact that it is my own surname, my right to it supercedes your current posession of it, which appears to be a "squatting" registration, whose purpose is only to re-sell to an interested party. I may file a case with WIPO (www.wipo.int) - the international intellectual property dispute resolution organisation. There is also an alternative route available to me, which involves obtaining an order from a court (an injunction).
Would you please give my domain back
----------

Don't reply - he can't prove you received the email

Bang up a site "john smith removals" for example

See what he does next.

Don't reply - he can't prove you received the email

Bang up a site "john smith removals" for example

See what he does next.

I don't reply to these sort of emails anymore but just goes to show they will try anything for the .uk as my logs show he is typing .uk in.

lol yeah but do they have a leg to stand on seen as it was suspended around October 2012 then dropped January 2013 and only just realised now?

Cover your arse either way but don't think so

It'll cost him £750 to find out via DRS anyway

It appears to my solicitor to be a foregone conclusion that by nature of the fact that it is my own surname

I wish i had some rights to murray.co.uk or gardener.co.uk :(

You do have rights to those names, Murray, you just need to ask the right solicitor :)

You do have rights to those names, Murray, you just need to ask the right solicitor :)

Should i find out what solicitor he is using as i am sure alot of people on here would love to get there hands on the surname domain :)

Oh dear. I hope he's not just been released from Broadmoor :shock:

crazy_man.jpg

Just put in the ignore pile. If he had actually taken legal advice, it would have been his solicitor who wrote to you.

Paul - it's a load of bollocks. He won't get anywhere and has zero rights or claim to a real name in the context you describe. Are you passing yourself off as him for financial advantage? Hardly...

I didn't think WIPO have any jurisdiction over .uk domains. I'm sure they didn't used to anyway. If they still don't then he is clearly bluffing that he has taken legal advice and I would ignore him. Personally I don't think it's a great idea to be registering other people's names though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom