Tip for company research

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by Edwin, May 23, 2018.

1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

After experimenting with various search engines, I have found that Bing gives much more useful results than Google when it comes to trying to find relevant companies to pitch domains to.

I put the keyphrase in within double quotes if I'm researching a multi-word expression, and set the "Region" pulldown to "Only from the United Kingdom".

The results returned are very clean, because Bing only seems to give one or a handful of results per site i.e. you don't get page after page of search results dominated by pages from a few high-ranking sites. It also seems to prefer to list results with the term on the homepage, whereas Google will show whatever page it thinks is most relevant.

On one quick test just now, I found more useful leads within the first 30 SERPS on Bing than within the first 200 on Google.

(Bing's strength for domain research is its weakness for regular searches. If you're trying to find a review of a product, or how to do something for example, Google wins hands-down every time!)

Hope this helps...

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member Full Member

Thanks for sharing Edwin, will have to look into this.

Especially since GDPR is going to make outbound sales that little bit tougher.

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

A couple more search engines for you, if you want to spread your net more widely...

https://duckduckgo.com/
    Search for: "keyword1 keyword2" site:.uk

https://www.startpage.com/uk/
    Search for: "keyword1 keyword2" domain:uk

In both cases, you may find additional sites that don't show up in Google. Simply put, all the search engines rank sites differently - if you want to be thorough, it may pay to spend a little time duplicating your searches across multiple SEs.

5. dog

dog Active Member

Thanks for sharing Edwin.