Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Trying to transfer a domain name via nominet web domain manager

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by mally, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Hi all.

just wondering if anyone can help with the following

I'm trying to transfer a domain name. I've logged into my account via https://secure.nominet.org.uk/dashboard.html

If I goto https://secure.nominet.org.uk/auth/domainmanager.html I cannot see the domain I want to transfer (I can see the transfer option, but the relevant domain isn't in the list)

If I goto https://secure.nominet.org.uk/domainmanager/choose-action.html I can see the domain name on the list but I don't have the option to transfer it (to the buyers email)

Any help/advice please?

thanks Mally

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Your link 3 reference appears to be the Registrar WDM, thus I must assume you are a Nominet Registrar. As a Nominet Registrar you won't have an option to do the conventional domain name transfer. Conventional transfers have always been limited to Registrants only, which I think you likely know.

Since you cannot see the domain name at your link 2 reference which appears to be the Registrants Domain Manager linked to the same email address as the Registrar WDM, it seems probable that the domain name you wish to transfer is associated with a different Nominet Registrant Online account. Registrar WDM can have many different Nominet Registrant Online accounts associated with it. Domain names registered to the same registrant can be associated with different Nominet Registrant Online accounts if they have been registered with a different contact email address.

Solution: Find the domain name through Registrar WDM and establish what email address its contact is associated with. Then either change that email address to match the email address you're using to login to your Registrar WDM account, in which case you will then be able to see it at your link 2 reference, or retrieve the password for this other Nominet Registrant Online account via this link by entering the other email address you have discovered through Registrar WDM. Once you've retrieved the password for this other Nominet Registrant Online account you can log directly into that account at the usual login page using this other email address and the password you have retrieved. You won't login to Registrar WDM when you do this.

The issue stems from the way Nominet permit the same email address to be used with Registrar WDM and Nominet Registrant Online accounts and then combine access to both account types via the same login. Some Registrars, particularly Self Managed ones that more often than not only register domain names to one Registrant name, don't always realise that the registrant account is separate from the registrar account and that they can have many registrant accounts (each with a different email address) managed by their registrar account even if the Registrant Names across all those accounts are identical.

I hate trying to explain this on forums. It's cumbersome but it has to be how it is and I simply can't see the sense in trying to be the person who explains why it is like this on here, only to confuse people. You are probably experiencing the same issues as I detailed here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

thanks for the explanation, I changed the email address and hey presto all sorted, cheers