Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk And Drop Catching - Anti-gaming measures:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nominet stated in one of their documents that there are some edge cases which apply to as few as 1 or 2 domains, for which they're still formulating policy.

I've only checked in .co.uk but will take your word that paperworkuk.ltd.uk is unique. :)

You can check them all at once with this tool:

http://dotukwinner.com/checker.php

Extension - Date
.co.uk domain not registered
.org.uk domain not registered
.me.uk domain not registered
.net.uk domain not registered
.plc.uk domain not registered
.ltd.uk 26.02.99

That's not an example of what I asked for because the .co.uk is also registered.

Yes it is, if the .co.uk was registered to another entity, then no, but it's registered to the same entity so it counts, as it doesn't change the end result of who would get the .UK

Just like with many other examples. The .co.uk obviously dropped. However this isn't an example of what I asked for either. :)

Yes, I know, I just added that for interest, you miserable git :)

Last edited:
That tool isn't current, its based on v2, just for reference :)

Thanks mate, I wasn't aware of that, just checked them individually and paperworkuk .ltd.uk isn't registered in other suffixes.

So basically every co.uk domain i catch from now onwards will lose rights to .uk if there is a org.uk already reg'd?.

Incorrect. It depends when the matching org.UK was registered and also if the .co.uk was also previously registered at the same time. You'd be better off reading up as all we are going to do is have to keep explaining over and over again.

(from iPhone)

Yes i did read up, your post a while ago summoned it up pretty well without over complicating things. So basically every caught co.uk will now lose the right to .uk from now onwards if there is a org.uk pre reg'd (from memory cut off date is 31st October) ?.

Last edited:
So basically every co.uk domain i catch from now onwards will lose rights to .uk if there is a org.uk already reg'd?.

No.

The rights to the .uk depend on the situation as it was on 28 October 2013.

If the .co.uk had the rights to the .uk on that date (all it had to do was exist to have the rights) then it will keep the rights forever. They will not pass to the .org.uk or to any other extension.

In other words, so long as it had the rights, it can be deleted and re-regged a thousand times between now and launch day and it will keep the rights.

On the other hands, if the .org.uk had the rights on 28 October 2013, then catching the .co.uk won't give you those rights (though in practice for a .co.uk to be dropping today, it must have been registered on 28 October 2013 so this will never happen)

The only question which Nominet have to clarify is whether a "suspended" .co.uk domain can get the rights to the .uk. In other words, if the .co.uk was registered-but-expired on 28 October 2013, did it acquire the rights to the .uk?

My instinct is "yes" since Nominet's V3 is very pro-.co.uk, but I'd like to see confirmation from them before being 100% sure on that point.

A .org.uk (or other non-.co.uk extension) can NEVER gain the rights to .uk if it didn't already have them on 28 October 2013. It can only lose those rights, or keep them if it had them, but never gain them, no matter what the circumstances surrounding other competing domains.

No.

The rights to the .uk depend on the situation as it was on 28 October 2013.

If the .co.uk had the rights to the .uk on that date (all it had to do was exist to have the rights) then it will keep the rights forever. They will not pass to the .org.uk or to any other extension.

In other words, so long as it had the rights, it can be deleted and re-regged a thousand times between now and launch day and it will keep the rights.

On the other hands, if the .org.uk had the rights on 28 October 2013, then catching the .co.uk won't give you those rights (though in practice for a .co.uk to be dropping today, it must have been registered on 28 October 2013 so this will never happen)

The only question which Nominet have to clarify is whether a "suspended" .co.uk domain can get the rights to the .uk. In other words, if the .co.uk was registered-but-expired on 28 October 2013, did it acquire the rights to the .uk?

My instinct is "yes" since Nominet's V3 is very pro-.co.uk, but I'd like to see confirmation from them before being 100% sure on that point.

A .org.uk (or other non-.co.uk extension) can NEVER gain the rights to .uk if it didn't already have them on 28 October 2013. It can only lose those rights, or keep them if it had them, but never gain them, no matter what the circumstances surrounding other competing domains.

Ok thanks, i got the impression many caught co.uk domains from now on could lose out. I will digest this in the morning and re-read thread, i guess its still a case of waiting for the dust to settle.

Ok thanks, i got the impression many caught co.uk domains from now on could lose out. I will digest this in the morning and re-read thread, i guess its still a case of waiting for the dust to settle.

It means that, along with Denys losing his magic touch (for how long, who knows), catching .co.uk domains suddenly got a whole lot sweeter.

It means that, along with Denys losing his magic touch (for how long, who knows), catching .co.uk domains suddenly got a whole lot sweeter.

And catching .org.uk domains got even more pointless than before...

Your best bet is to read through Nominet's FAQ

http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-participate/policy-development/IntroducingSecondLevelDomains/qanda

It specifically addresses the issue of dropped domain names:

Q What happens if a contested .org.uk and a .co.uk exist on the 28th of October (so the .co.uk gets the right to the .uk), but between then and the launch the .co.uk drops and is registered by someone else – who gets the right to the .uk?

A The new .co.uk registrant gets the right to the .uk.

expanded a bit

Your best bet is to read through Nominet's FAQ

http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-participate/policy-development/IntroducingSecondLevelDomains/qanda

It specifically addresses the issue of dropped domain names:

Q What happens if a contested .org.uk and a .co.uk exist on the 28th of October (so the .co.uk gets the right to the .uk), but between then and the launch the .co.uk drops and is registered by someone else – who gets the right to the .uk?

A The new .co.uk registrant gets the right to the .uk.

The answer should be expanded a bit along the following lines;

A. The new .co.uk registrant gets the right to the .uk and the right gets transferred with the domain if that .co.uk gets resold anytime in the next 5 years until the right is exercised.

So it is clear the right is with the domain until exercised not the registrant who first registered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom